Majo Koi Nikki Translation Project

Hasa

Little bit of TL progress on Mii's route this week. Hopefully we'll wrap that soon. Additionally, the translator who'll be working on Hijiri assures me they'll be starting Soon(TM). Editing is basically caught up to TL at this point. I'm waiting on TLC of the rest of Ending before going through and editing it, so we don't both work on the same thing at the same time, and that accounts for basically all the current gap between TL and Edit.

It's also been a good week on the tech and cleanliness side: Majo Koi has a lot of flashbacks and a small number of repeated scenes, and previously we've been managing that by manually copying stuff back and forth as we work on it. That probably doesn't sound that bad, but is actually a massive pain in the ass to keep perfectly in sync, since the process is quite iterative: I've probably modified a bunch of those copy-pasted lines five or six times by now, and have to remember to copy-paste them each time. Our dauntless programmer has helpfully implemented checks to make sure that everything that should be identical stays identical, which is a big boon to the project, and that has let us clean up a lot of little inconsistencies that had slipped in.

TL: 34821/40208 (86.6%), +269 (0.7%)
Edit: 34043/40208 (84.7%), +1565 (3.9%)
TLC: 12498/40208 (31.1%)

I'm honestly not sure why the TLC number on the progress tracker went down a bit this week. I looked through both the current progress, where nothing obvious is missing, and the commit log, where it looks like none was either added or removed, so :shrug:

1 hour ago, littleshogun said:

As for summer release, looking at the current progress I would said it's not quite possible there if one expect summer release (Of course it would be good if it does). Good luck with the project once again by the way.

But looking at the progress, maybe not a release but a partial patch?

4 minutes ago, Cry0 said:

But looking at the progress, maybe not a release but a partial patch?

Even if they were to finish translating this Summer, they look like they'd prefer to have some TLC and rigorous QC before they released anything.

In other words, they don't much look like the partial patch kind.

Just now, Mr Poltroon said:

Even if they were to finish translating this Summer, they look like they'd prefer to have some TLC and rigorous QC before they'd release anything.

In other words, they don't much look like the partial patch kind.

Let's hope they finish it quickly and without issues then! Good luck to you guys :)

So, for starters, there will definitely not be a partial patch.

Additionally, as Mr Poltroon said, once all the counters hit 100%, there's still a lot of work to be done, both at a script level and regarding other aspects of a complete patch: a final round of script editing, image editing for the UI, image editing for assorted background images (some because of translation, but also some for whatever you would prefer to call things like changing the text "Bar Ber Shop" to "Barbershop"; image de-Engrishing?), proofreading the script, QCing the text in-game, the team reading the QCed product for one final check, and some other odds and ends. So, even after the progress tracker says we're done, we'll still be a ways away, and I can't really commit us to a timeline even now as the more easily countable progress numbers are approaching completion.

All told, this project thread has been alive for over a year now, and I've personally been on it for almost exactly a year. You've all been very patient with us so far, and we hope you can continue to be patient as we continue towards our goal, delivering a translation worthy of the original product :D

Edited by Fred the Barber

Just little bumps to both TL and Edit progress this week. Some folks have been busy on other tasks, and some are still ramping up on the project; nothing to be done about it but be patient. Also, we fixed up the TLC calculation, which is why that number changed back to roughly what it was before.

TL: 34924/40208 (86.9%), +103 (0.3%)
Edit: 34166/40208 (85.0%), +123 (0.3%)
TLC: 13670/40208 (34.0%)

At the request of our lead translator, I have reset the TLC progress from our previous TLC. So, +a few hundred (some lines got TLCed this week), minus a few thousand (I removed the annotation from the ones that were TLCed previously, since they were all going to need another round of TLC anyway), and lo and behold, you have this week's actually-positive-but-apparently-negative progress, yay!

Others unchanged
TLC: 9327/40208 (23.2%)

I actually wrote "low and behold" ffs

16 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

At the request of our lead translator, I have reset the TLC progress from our previous TLC. So, +a few hundred (some lines got TLCed this week), minus a few thousand (I removed the annotation from the ones that were TLCed previously, since they were all going to need another round of TLC anyway), and low and behold, you have this week's actually-positive-but-apparently-negative progress, yay!

Others unchanged
TLC: 9327/40208 (23.2%)

You can just see the love this team has for their project! It's like every week they undo their progress just so they can keep working on it more.
Reminds me of Penelope's Web.

11 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

Numbers go up, numbers go down. You can't explain that.

Penelope's Web. You fear the judgement day that'll come upon release, so you postpone it forevermore.

Edit: I mean, it could also be that there's some shenanigans going on behind the scenes. Somebody counted things wrong, that automatic script had a bug, the translator wanted to double check some things... But that explanation's booooring.

On 6/16/2017 at 5:19 AM, Mr Poltroon said:

Edit: I mean, it could also be that there's some shenanigans going on behind the scenes. Somebody counted things wrong, that automatic script had a bug, the translator wanted to double check some things... But that explanation's booooring.

That happened to me.  The tool I was using to track completion progress had a very subtle math bug in it that meant it wasn't generating real numbers.  Didn't notice it for months.

Today, we learn that some numbers rise faster than others, especially when your TLC is between paying gigs and thus spending most of his time working on your project.

Translation: 35175/40208 (87.5%), +251 (0.6%)
Edit: 34230/40208 (85.1%), +64 (0.2%)
TLC: 20425/40208 (50.8%), +11098 (27.6%)

No, that TLC progress is not an error. That's actually all new progress in the past week. TBAC tells me, "It's mainly just reading," which I'm taking to be good news for the current script quality.

• 2 weeks later...

Couple days late, but nonetheless checking in for the weekly update. Some progress on all fronts, and mostly on Mii's route and the Ending. Ending is now done on TL/TLC/Editing, and Mii is getting close. Hijiri remains stalled, reminding me that I need to check in again with the translator who offered to pick it up and suggested they would likely have something to show a week ago...

TL: 35329/40208 (87.9%), +154 (0.4%)
Edit: 34818/40208 (86.6%), +588 (1.5%)
TLC: 22127/40208 (55.0%), +1702 (4.2%)

Regarding QC progress: I reset that a little while back since, realistically, we've been churning the whole script for TLC and for further editing, including the part that had been QCed for the trial patch release, so given that even those sections had seen quite a lot of changes, they were going to need a full QC pass to weed out errors that had snuck in. QC will start with a clean slate once we're essentially done tweaking the script and ready for that final check. Fortunately, it should be a fairly quick, if focused, process.

Our translator for Hijiri checked in his first chunk of work this week, a round of TLC of all the previous work on that route, so the ball is officially rolling there, which is excellent news as that is now the only untranslated material left in the game. Mii's route has now been fully translated, and editing is most of the way through with it as well (including both of us wrapping up the marathon H scene...). Also a lot of TLC progress this week. All in all, a good week:

TL: 36072/40208 (89.7%), +743 (1.8%)
Edit: 35485/40208 (88.2%), +667 (1.7%)
TLC: 25297/40208 (62.9%), +3170 (7.9%)

The project is tracking really well, so I want to again warn people that even once those numbers say 100%, there's still going to be a fair bit of work left to do, and I won't be in a position to even forecast a release date for a while. We'll be done when we're done.

typo

I finished editing Mii's route, yay \o/ Translation and editing have both resumed on Hijiri's route, yay \o/ Another bucketful of TLC got done, yay \o/

TL: 36205/40208 (90.0%), +133 (0.3%)
Edit: 36093/40208 (89.8%), +608 (1.5%)
TLC: 28293/40208 (70.4%), +2996 (7.5%)

Still not prognosticating release dates, boo /o\

Very little progress this week, although editing is now caught up with TL for the first time since the project's inception, which I guess is kinda nice. I don't really have much to say here: both TLC and editing progress are waiting on progress from the Hijiri translator, at this point, although that doesn't mean we're completely idle (for instance, I'm gradually going back through and incorporating recently-finished TLC into already-edited text). I'll work with the Hijiri translator to figure out how things are going and how soon that's likely to progress. Progress this week:

Edit: 36205/40208 (90.0%), +112 (0.3%)

On 7/13/2017 at 10:05 PM, skrewball717 said:

Instead of estimating a release date, how about estimating how long it might take to get the technical stuff in order after all the above items hit 100%? :D

Sounds suspiciously like estimating a release date. Request denied.

5 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Very little progress this week, although editing is now caught up with TL for the first time since the project's inception, which I guess is kinda nice. I don't really have much to say here: both TLC and editing progress are waiting on progress from the Hijiri translator, at this point, although that doesn't mean we're completely idle (for instance, I'm gradually going back through and incorporating recently-finished TLC into already-edited text). I'll work with the Hijiri translator to figure out how things are going and how soon that's likely to progress. Progress this week:

Edit: 36205/40208 (90.0%), +112 (0.3%)

Sounds suspiciously like estimating a release date. Request denied.

Damn, plan foiled. Nice work as always