Majo Koi Nikki Translation Project

Hasa

One translator was out for this week on a family vacation, and the other wrapped up a route and is moving onto a new one. Net result: translation numbers pretty low this week. Second TLC is onboarded and has started contributing. Editing, steady as she goes:

Translated: 21120 / 40208 (52.5%), +105 (.3%)
Edited: 15572 / 40208 (38.7%), +576 (1.4%)
TLCed: 7714 / 40208 (19.2%), +496 (1.2%)

Good progress here, albeit quite slow compared to last week if I may blunt here. By the way since @Fred the Barber here usually writing for Fuwa Review there, if I may give suggestion here why you not write a review for Majokoi before releasing the patch there? Just my suggestion here, and I suggest this in regard of some complain that usually fan translation lack of the review for the VN while official release had some system called review copy that allowed the consumer to knew of how good the game will be from the review. You don't need to, although you may considering that though (Sorry).

30 minutes ago, littleshogun said:

Good progress here, albeit quite slow compared to last week if I may blunt here. By the way since @Fred the Barber here usually writing for Fuwa Review there, if I may give suggestion here why you not write a review for Majokoi before releasing the patch there? Just my suggestion here, and I suggest this in regard of some complain that usually fan translation lack of the review for the VN while official release had some system called review copy that allowed the consumer to knew of how good the game will be from the review. You don't need to, although you may considering that though (Sorry).

If a review of Majo Koi is ever made Fred won't be the one doing it, simply because he would be biased from the start. If a review is done some other member of the fuwareviews team will have to do it.

9 hours ago, littleshogun said:

Expanding on what Aizen said, the current policy of FuwaReviews in this area is:

• If you worked on a VN release in some capacity, you can't review it.
  • You also can't review any VN worked on by either the associated fan TL team or company for which you're currently working (note: no, I'm not working for any localization company in any way shape or form; I'm just mentioning it here for completeness)
  • Additionally, any review of something worked on by a member of FuwaReviews will 1) have a disclaimer at the top saying as much, and 2) not be given a score rating. But you can still have all the other review text up there.

FWIW, although I'm forbidden from reviewing it myself, you can bet I'll be knocking on people's doors to get a FuwaReviews review of Majo Koi Nikki when we're done, and probably offering to buy a "review copy" of it for any reviewer I can talk into it. I love this game. :D

This week brings the foretold reduction in TLC progress, since I finally broke down and fixed the progress-calculating code I hoped I wouldn't have to touch again. I honestly kind of regret it, since this week saw some good progress from TLC, and yet the number goes down. Oh well. So, I'll be putting the + numbers based on the actual delta in TLC since last week, rather than the negative number based on the incorrect value for last week, to avoid being depressed about it. (Actually, the TLC progress should be like 0.7 % higher than it is here, but the new accounting always underestimates, where the old accounting always overestimated, so... well, whatever).

Anyway, that all aside, it was another week of good progress on all of TL, edit, and TLC:

Translated: 22522 / 40208 (56.0%), +672 (1.7%)
Edited: 16877 / 40208 (42.0%), +711 (1.8%)
TLCed: 6444 / 40208 (16.0%), +318 (0.8%)

Edit: I cleverly wrote this whole thing without pulling in today's TL progress... oops. Fixed the numbers

Edited by Fred the Barber

Going into the week of US Thanksgiving, typical good progress on TL and editing.

It's always a somewhat more inspiring picture to look at per-route progress, rather than at overall progress, so in the interest of promoting hype, I'll point out that the Cinderella route, the longest in the game by a good margin, and which was only started about a month ago if I recall correctly, is now 41% translated, thanks to the efforts of our staunch lead TL @Sanzy_Bones, and 30% edited. And in less than three weeks, the Kozue route has gone from 0% translated to 43%, thanks to our Froggy translator. So while maybe the numbers don't look so big week-to-week, our consistent progress is getting us there bit by bit.

Translated: 23350 / 40208 (58.1%), +828 (2.1%)
Edited: 17614 / 40208 (43.8%), +737 (1.8%)

We'll see you again, next week.

grammer

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, a brief homily: among other important things, of course, I'm thankful for the great team I get to work with here, for the studio who made a beautiful game like Majo Koi Nikki, and for everybody who engages in the tough enterprise of VN translation projects, fighting the good fight for a medium we love.

Translated: 23918 / 40208 (59.5%), +568 (1.4%)
Edited: 18779 / 40208 (46.7%), +1165 (2.9%)

How the hell is it December already?

Anyway, on-topic, slow TL progress because one of the translators has finals this week. It can't be helped. I expect progress as usual to resume next week.

Translated: 23996 / 40208 (59.7%), +78 (.2%)
Edited: 19476 / 40208 (48.4%), +697 (1.7%)
TLCed: 7037 / 40208 (17.5%), +593 (1.5%)

A minor note that we have moved our official progress reporting page, and you can now find our progress here: https://cookie4.com/projects/majokoi/progress/

The old progress page is now toast. Many thanks to @Porygon2 for his continued technical awesomeness, including this progress page which updates itself based on changes to the TL repo contents.

Apparently my TLC calculation still wasn't quite the same as porygon's at the end, so, per the new progress reporting, TLC progress is a little higher this week even though there wasn't any TLC done this week. Yay, free progress!

In the more exciting news of actual progress, TL passed the 60% mark this week, and edit passed the 50% mark. :miyako:

Translated: 24248/40208 (60.3%), +252 (0.6%)
Edited: 20262/40208 (50.4%) , +786 (2.0%)
TLCed: 7286/40208 (18.1%)

A day late, a dollar short, and one translator's dead laptop later, here's the week's progress (there was also some TLC progress, and actually rather substantial, but it doesn't look like much because of the way TLC progress is calculated, so I'm leaving it off this week):

Translated: 24418/40208 (60.7%), +170 (0.4%)
Edited: 20941/40208 (52.0%), +679 (1.7%)

Back to decent TL progress now that our lead TL's computer is working. There's no editing progress this week because I was jumping over to late in a nearly-finished route, where I felt I really needed to re-read a bunch to refresh myself on context before continuing on, and I decided to go back and touch up all the edited scripts starting from the very beginning, to fix a few lingering lines I was unhappy with, make some consistency fixes I was aware of, and also to see if any additional problems popped out that were apparent on a re-read with more information (and in fact a handful did, so, it feels good to have those fixed). I'm about halfway done with that effort and expect to get back to at least a little editing progress next week, and then resume normal progress after that.

Translated: 24974/40208 (62.1%), +556 (1.4%)

Presumably itching at the chance to build a breakaway lead while I was doing my little touch-up project, our two translators went to the wall and put up what is probably our single biggest week of actual TL progress. Joke's on them, because while editing progress is still 0 this week, I just finished my touch-up work (which was time well-spent and has left me quite content with the current state of our script), and I have a four-day weekend ahead of me with few obligations. You can have this week, but I'm throwing down the glove for next week, and we'll see who wins, suckers.

Translated: 26272/40208 (65.3%), +1298 (3.2%)

Good TL week, and a better than average editing week, though not enough to close the gap back down to what it was before my two-week jaunt through touching up older scripts. What can you do? Looks like the project is reaching that point where I can start phrasing the completion numbers as increasingly-impressive-looking fractions: the game is now 2/3 translated. Onward to the next milestone!

Translated: 26860/40208 (66.8%), +588 (1.5%)
Edited: 22166/40208 (55.1%), +1225 (3.0%)

As usual, good progress on both translation and editing this week. I should have mentioned last week, since I think this is technically last week's news, but the entire "Prologue 2" section of the game has now been edited, after languishing around 80-90% for a long time. Prologue 2 is kind of a common route for the game, sort of? But it's also kind of the twins' route. This game is hard to describe in typical VN terminology. At any rate, the longest single section the game is now wrapped up for both TL and Edit, which is excellent news. Meanwhile, the second-longest section in the game, the so-called Cinderella route, is now 80% translated and 70% edited and fast approaching completion, while the Ending section is closing in on a complete translation, also at 80%. There are still quite a number of odds and ends left, both for translation and editing, but it's exciting to see these substantial portions of the game reaching or nearing completion.

Translated: 27558/40208 (68.5%), +698 (1.7%)
Edited: 22833/40208 (56.8%), +667 (1.7%)

On 17/1/2017 at 10:49 PM, Aizen-Sama said:

Hello guys, it's me, reappearing from the dead.

Since Fred and our main translator are on a vacation of a week or so don't expect an update in numbers this week.

We'll resume our workflow next week.

Aizen out.

Can't be helped if they need some break. Anyway, happy vacation for both of Fred and main translator then.

• 2 weeks later...

All right, welcome back me and Sanzy. More wrapping things up, and we're finally getting started on the last few routes. The last two weeks saw wrapping up editing for not one but two sections (Alice and Rei), and the Ending section is now almost fully translated. Our amphibian translator has moved onto Mii's route, so that one is now moving forward. Good shit all around. Below are the current numbers, but keep in mind, deltas are showing two weeks' worth of progress, not the usual one week:

Translated: 28351/40208 (70.5%), +793 (2.0%)
Edited: 24637/40208 (61.3%), +1804 (4.5%)

Busy week for me IRL, and I was breaking ground on new routes, both Mii and Kozue, which always takes time, so I didn't make too much progress on the editing side. Similarly, it was a little bit slower week than I would have expected on the TL side (actually it's about average, numerically, but that's because Frog was kicking ass, numerically) because our lead TL wrapped up Kozue's route, and wrapping up a route also takes time. He'll also be wrapping the ending route soon, which will take some time, so next week will probably look a little sub-par again, but we should return to the normal swing of things by week after next.

At any rate, here's the numbers. Many GitLab administrators died to bring us this information:

Translated: 28970/40208 (72.1%), +619 (1.5%)
Edited: 24930/40208 (62.0%), +293 (0.7%)

I a word.

Another rather quiet week, this time contrary to my expectations. Oh well, stuff happens, and we're continuing to make forward progress. There was actually a little more progress than the numbers show this week (about 0.5%, on both TL and edit) since we've started retranslating and re-editing a small section (about 3% of the total VN) of the translation which had some issues.

Some more good news on closing routes off: Kozue's route is now completely edited, giving us 8 segments of the VN which are 100% translated and edited and leaving only 5 remaining which are incomplete, in varying stages of progress.

Translated: 29413/40208 (73.2%), +248 (0.6%)
Edited: 26665/40208 (66.3%) +927 (2.3%)

Updated numbers a bit, remembered some other news.

Okay, it's an exciting week full of news! Bad news. You wanted good news? Sorry, only bad news.

But anyway, first, some rather anemic progress numbers:

Translated: 29478/40208 (73.3%), +65 (0.2%)
Edited: 26927/40208 (67.0%), +262 (0.7%)

Now, onto news, which explains the anemic numbers. Two unrelated things have happened to this translation project:

1. Our lead translator fell off the grid three weeks ago. He disappears for a week or so at a time every now and then, which we deal with, but three weeks is a long-ass time. The project is now officially in the market for a new lead translator, and moreover, it is officially on ice until we have someone who can take up that mantle. I hope to have the project back up in full swing very soon, but for the moment, there won't be progress to mention, because though yes, we have another translator, we need a lead translator to backstop, assist, and, well, lead. If you think you're up to that and you're willing to commit a lot of time to a very long project with very little benefit aside from the satisfaction of a job well done, enabling people to experience an excellent VN, I guess you can contact me, but I'm not expecting anything in that ballpark from this post. This is purely me informing people about the current state of the project, in the interest of transparency. I've got some contacts (not a lot). I'm trying them (clumsily). Hopefully they'll pan out and we'll be back on track soon.

2. I don't know if this has been announced elsewhere, but if not, I guess I'm announcing it, because of that whole transparency thing. The project founder, Aizen, has stepped down from Luna Translations. At this point, there is no longer any such entity. There are websites, social media accounts, etc., floating around by that name; they're not longer affiliated with anything at all, including this project. The assorted teams under that umbrella are now independent (though of course still in contact with each other). What does that practically mean for this project? Basically nothing, honestly. In particular, as I mentioned before, to my knowledge, this change is completely unrelated to our lead TL's disappearance (he disappeared three weeks ago, so, it's not exactly the coincidence of timing it may superficially appear to be). If you want to talk about Luna TL for any reason, I ask that you use a different thread for it (and will ask a mod to move/delete posts from this thread if necessary), since this thread's topic is the Majo Koi Nikki translation project, which, aside from what I hope to be a temporary freeze while we find a new lead translator, is still a TL project, still operating with the same people it has been (except from that whole lead TL thing).