So, Seinarukana was just released, extra fully. (Steam version now available)

Decay

17 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

If you want to minimize the time spent sitting around in towns waiting for skill usages to recover, you have to switch skills constantly.  Recovering a skill that has been fully depleted takes somewhere around 100-200 IP.  As such, waiting for a full recovery if something you generally want to avoid.

All-Rounders are amazing in that regard due to their flexibility to switch skills any time.

Nozomu All-Rounder is top tier to the point he can solo the entire story mode by himself except on that "one part" in the story.

Also Katima and Sorluska are amazing all rounders too if you are trying to go for SS ranks because not only are they black which has a counter to material and force defenders, their Act IP is so fast that they can get 1-2 more turns before everyone else and Katima is even more broken in this regard because her ultimate attack raises IP and when combined with Final Velocity, she gets even up to 3-4 turns before everyone else.

I found All-Rounders except for Euphoria and Narukana mostly useless.  Nozomu All-Rounder is nearly worthless in Hard Mode against a double green spirit team with an AoE block and a healer.  He also runs out of high-powered skills quickly and his IP isn't great.  Black spirits are even more useless since they lack healing ability and will take high damage from red spirits.

Sorluska pairs well with Nozomu, however.  Boost his basic HP % attack with Inspire and he does massive damage against All-Rounders and good damage even against green spirit defenders.

I paired Katima with Naya for concentrated AoE damage, and that was very effective against most formations.  A red spirit on defense or a blue spirit banishing could throw a wrench in it, however.

Immortal Will III (3500 M, 7% F) is Nozomu's bread and butter for most things (tends to 1-2 shot regular minions) with Overdrive IV against high material defenders and Catastrophe III for AoE when defender doesn't have All guard.

Celestial Ally III at start of the battle so he can spam all his 3-4 mana skills and Aura Photon Rage III for added AoE pressure with Castastrophe III. You can then use Grasp II to prevent role switches.

He's pretty much a Red unit under the white banner if you max his skills out on Eternal difficulty.

And Black units have Defender skills that block force too so it's not like they are completely vulnerable to Red like Green is. Sorluska has Sky Fang IV and Katima has Emperor's Whip IV which has Force defense of 1,400 and 1,680 respectively. They tank Red just fine.

30 minutes ago, CeruleanGamer said:

IHe's pretty much a Red unit under the white banner if you max his skills out on Eternal difficulty.

My experience is fighting enemies that are consistently 3-6 levels higher than my own teams.  That's a wildly different situation than fighting enemies that are 10-30 levels lower.  It sounds to me like we're describing completely different games.  Did you play Normal mode, Hard mode, and Eternal mode back to back with no playthroughs inbetween?  Because the game balance assumes you do that.  Going back through Eternal Mode with LV80-90 characters is obviously a different experience entirely than starting from LV55 or so.

12 hours ago, sanahtlig said:

I linked to YouTube clips of the OST in my review.  Take a look at those.  You could also visit JAST's forums and ask them to release the OST on the Steam, though they may not have the rights to do that.

Yep, I'll just hope that they release the ost, but if they don't I guess I'll download the youtube links.

12 hours ago, Zenophilious said:

Unfortunately, we can't really share torrent links here unless what you're downloading was released for free at some point.  It's against the rules.

Sorry ! I won't do that again, they are all dead for seinarukana anyway.

14 hours ago, sanahtlig said:

My experience is fighting enemies that are consistently 3-6 levels higher than my own teams.  That's a wildly different situation than fighting enemies that are 10-30 levels lower.  It sounds to me like we're describing completely different games.  Did you play Normal mode, Hard mode, and Eternal mode back to back with no playthroughs inbetween?  Because the game balance assumes you do that.  Going back through Eternal Mode with LV80-90 characters is obviously a different experience entirely than starting from LV55 or so.

I played Normal and Hard twice to get all the non-unique (non-heroine exclusive) artifact skills then every route on Eternal difficulty to give every heroine and Nozomu their strongest route-exclusive skills. After the 1st Eternal difficulty clear, the subsequent Eternal playthroughs were easy as pie.

In Eternal difficulty, I did Satsuki (Nozomu gets his route exclusive skills and getting the strongest Satsuki makes subsequent playthroughs easier) ---> Katima (because she makes SS ranks cake) ---> Narukana (Makes the latter half of the game less troublesome) ---> Naya (not as important, for completion only) ---> Ruputna (not as important, for completion only) ---> Nozomi (her Normal route-exclusive skills are so much better because they have more uses, thus she is last). 

The first and second Eternal difficulty playthroughs were extremely hard because upgrades require a ton more mana plus waiting too long affected S/SS ranks. By the third Eternal playthrough, I only needed 4-5 people to max out to level 99, then after I got Katima's route exclusive skills to breeze through stages with her as an All-Rounder, I was grabbing all the SS rank artifacts I missed.

Just checked it, and let me said that if you using complete save file to replay normal difficulty your level would be still at 30 maximum ie you couldn't raise it until you change the difficulty to Hard (At least from my checking using complete save file). So playing the same difficulty twice wouldn't had much influence in regard of level there. Some user here may already known about levelling, but I'd write this just in case maybe some user here didn't know about that.

11 minutes ago, littleshogun said:

Just checked it, and let me said that if you using complete save file to replay normal difficulty your level would be still at 30 maximum ie you couldn't raise it until you change the difficulty to Hard (At least from my checking using complete save file). So playing the same difficulty twice wouldn't had much influence in regard of level there. Some user here may already known about levelling, but I'd write this just in case maybe some user here didn't know about that.

But you can't reach the level cap for a given difficulty with one playthrough.  Proceeding underleveled is one of the main factors that makes higher difficulties harder.

On July 28, 2016 at 10:58 PM, littleshogun said:

True. You can probably ignore doing each difficulty twice but it's not recommended. One playthrough isnt enough to max out everyone because of mana shortage on reinforcement. 2 playthroughs is ideal to make sure they all are and prepare you for the next difficulty level. Having characters properly leveled makes getting S and SS ranks easier. You dont get artifacts on Rank A or below btw.

To Mkilbride here, what I said in regard of similiarities between Takeru and Nozomu would be his indecisiveness. After all there should be a reason of why Takeru became IU for dumb protagonist back at VNDB. Although I agree Takeru was grow up, remember that it need 3 games to achieve that (At Alternative, he was already grew up), while Seinarukana was only one game here (And you didn't even play it past 20 hours here), so I couldn't said Nozomu's growth here was equal to Takeru here. Although his indecisiveness was same though.

Thing is, at least Takeru was funny. He seemingly had a personality. Nozumu did not. It was just like "Do this" and "Ok, I'll do it."  He felt a blank slate - like a Western RPG. Felt off, after the first game's MC actually had a personality, but it was explained to me here at least that the people who made the first game left during production of the second, so it makes sense why this one is basically a generic harem VN.  As for 20 hours, it doesn't say length, but I was t the robot people world, where I just became so bogged down by this craptastic combat system, where I played for like 45 minutes - then the game fucking crashed and I had to go do -all- that over again, I said "Fuck it", Also Dark Souls 3 released right around the same time, so that absorbed me. Then Overwatch came out.

• 1 month later...

Take the skills that are the biggest upgrade first.  After 5 chapters you should have a pretty good grasp of the system.  Make sure Naya has Flame Shower.  That's about all I can remember from that period.

The game isn't so hard that you need to fuss and worry about optimal upgrade choices.  Myself, I leveled my entire team equally in both Normal and Hard Mode.  In the latter, my forces were consistently 5 levels below enemies in Hard Mode, and I still had no trouble pulling off SS ranks when I had my full party.

• 3 months later...

Hard mode is a totally different experience for me than normal. I was stuck for a long time on the Sovereign Gods battle. And now I am totally stopped on Evolia's final battle. I get her down to about 10k and then I can't get past because my attacks actually heal her (Stardust defense)! I do not seem to have anything that can damage her. This is so frustrating!

As I recall, you need to use Name Breaker to defeat Evolia (as explained in the scenario, that's the reason only Nozomu can defeat her).  Name Breaker reduces the enemy's combat mana regen by 1, so if Evolia started the turn with 2 mana, then uses her healing defense skill to defend (2 mana), she'll start with 1 mana instead of 2 mana on the next turn.  If she selects the healing defense skill on her next turn (which she will, if she's still low on HP), then it won't activate due to insufficient mana and the next attack will critical (and likely kill her).  Evolia can accrue defense mana over the course of the battle; alternating Name Breaker and Nozomu's Eternal move (-1 mana to target) as necessary, without pushing her to miss a defense skill too early, can help prevent this.

Edited by sanahtlig

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, kyrt said:

Seinarukana is currently now on Steam...anyone who bought the physical edition don't forget to redeem your steam cards.

Another sudden release from them then (JAST USA). Although I kind of wonder what additional content that they'll have in place of H-Scenes though. But then again it's probably the same case as Eiyuu Senki though (Just remove the H-Scenes and made new scenes which also had some romantic vibe). Well, have fun for anyone else who already had Steam card.

14 hours ago, sanahtlig said:

The Steam version, based on the Japanese PSP version, has extra scenes and CG to replace the adult scenes that were removed, as well as a few extra missions that appear to be separate from the main scenario. You can survey the additional mission content (in Japanese) here.  I also edited this explanation into my review.

I see. At least the extra missions will be worth to seeing though if they bring the new stories there (Probably). Although I'm still satisfied for original version though for now at least.