Sharin no Kuni Prefundia page is up

Nosebleed

4 minutes ago, Caio000 said:

What is bothering me isn't whether the price final would be the same or not, I don't care much about the current price. What is really bothering me is that the price of the DLC would be overpriced for what one would get from it.

Yes, and that doesn’t affect you. It’s content cut from the game arbitrarily solely so they could have a ‘non-full VN’ to offer the consumers for cheaper. I would also mention that the flip side is if the cheaper game + DLCs = the full price, then the game offered in the cheap version is being offered at better than market price. Which would tend to soothe the feelings of the target audience.

You, not buying the DLCs, aren’t affected by this. Considering you’re buying the full game at full price and that full price hasn’t changed.

I’ve noticed that many people arguing the worth of the DLCs aren’t people interested in buying the DLCs, only the full game. They, not being the target audience for that package, love to talk about its worth to them, which is very little because the package wasn't designed for them. But once again, why does it matter to you?

14 minutes ago, Rooke said:

Yes, and that doesn’t affect you. It’s content cut from the game arbitrarily solely so they could have a ‘non-full VN’ to offer the consumers for cheaper. I would also mention that the flip side is if the cheaper game + DLCs = the full price, then the game offered in the cheap version is being offered at better than market price. Which would tend to soothe the feelings of the target audience.

You, not buying the DLCs, aren’t affected by this. Considering you’re buying the full game at full price and that full price hasn’t changed.

I’ve noticed that many people arguing the worth of the DLCs aren’t people interested in buying the DLCs, only the full game. They, not being the target audience for that package, love to talk about its worth to them, which is very little because the package wasn't designed for them. But once again, why does it matter to you?

Hmm, sorry for stretching so much this discussion but it's just that seems wrong for me charge so much for such DLC regardless the reasons I guess is some principles bullshit in my head. But whatever, they won't do it anymore so it doesn't matter anymore. 

Edited by Caio000
Oops. Repetition of words.

On 5/17/2016 at 10:54 PM, Rooke said:

Perfectly logical assessment, but it rests on the assumption of trust in the developer/publisher. Look at their word choice: "Deluxe" denotes the full game, while "Regular" is the cheaper version. If what you're saying is true and the intent is to offer a cheap alternative to a full price VN, wouldn't it make more sense for the full game to be "Regular," and the alternative be called "VN on a budget," or something along those lines? I admit I'm not very familiar with VN pricing, but have CG galleries and voiceovers really been considered "deluxe" in the past? I won't accuse Frontwing of anything devious, but cutting content out of a game and offering it as DLC is always dicey. Even if they do it right, it sets a precedent.

In any case, having already played Sharin I'm relatively indifferent. Guess it couldn't hurt to throw a few bucks their way, though.

1 minute ago, wolfrayet said:

Perfectly logical assessment, but it rests on the assumption of trust in the developer/publisher. Look at their word choice: "Deluxe" denotes the full game, while "Regular" is the cheaper version. If what you're saying is true and the intent is to offer a cheap alternative to a full price VN, wouldn't it make more sense to have the full game be "Regular," and the alternative be called "VN on a budget," or something along those lines? I admit I'm not very familiar with VN pricing, but have CG galleries and voiceovers really been considered "deluxe" in the past? I'm not going to accuse Frontwing of anything devious, but cutting content out of a game and offering it as DLC is always dicey. Even if they do it right, it sets a precedent.

In any case, I've already played Sharin so I'm relatively indifferent. Guess it couldn't hurt to throw a few bucks their way, though.

I conjecture it may have something to do with appealing to the otaku's collector spirit, which wouldn't waste the opportunity to acquire a deluxe version where available. That certainly is a devious use of the language, but since they would otherwise be offering the VN at a cheaper price, for everyone's benefit, I'd say it's pardonable.

Otherwise, I agree that if you don't trust the companies, setting a precedent isn't necessarily a good thing.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Rose said:

$10-15 for the 18+ patch and those who backed the game will have a discount. Is that good or do I raise my pitchfork?

from what i got (hope i´m right there) the all ages version has additional content to make up for its loss of ero, so that´s already a full game worthy of the initial pricing and by buying the patch content gets boosted above 100%, though anyone has to decide for him-/herself if its worth the hassle.

Wow. They even figured out what weebs their customers are and just put "Sharin no Kuni" almost everywhere. IIRC, "Wheel Country, Sunflower Girl" had more prominent placement earlier in the campaign (though it looks like the Prefundia has just "Sharin no Kuni" in the title now... but I don't think it was always that way.)

One thing for people to pitchfork about: they are very clearly saying that the physical copy of the game isn't going to come with a digital download key, and implicitly saying that the digital copy will arrive before the physical copy. I'd be surprised if it isn't a substantial time gap. So if you're one of the people who griped about not getting to play Clannad for a few months because you only backed and got a physical copy reward, please take better notice this time and don't gripe next time.

Anyway, I backed it :D

5 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Wow. They even figured out what weebs their customers are and just put "Sharin no Kuni" almost everywhere. IIRC, "Wheel Country, Sunflower Girl" had more prominent placement earlier in the campaign (though it looks like the Prefundia has just "Sharin no Kuni" in the title now... but I don't think it was always that way.)

One thing for people to pitchfork about: they are very clearly saying that the physical copy of the game isn't going to come with a digital download key, and implicitly saying that the digital copy will arrive before the physical copy. I'd be surprised if it isn't a substantial time gap. So if you're one of the people who griped about not getting to play Clannad for a few months because you only backed and got a physical copy reward, please take better notice this time and don't gripe next time.

Anyway, I backed it :D

I have played it already and its one of my favorite VNs so far, I might play it again, but I really just want the damn collectors edition box.

FYI the kickstarter does not appear to be going that well. Current projections form Kicktraq and Sidekick (for whatever that is worth) have it not making its goal. Its my understanding this is a well licked VN so I backed it for the digital copy. May have to try and get the word out some more if it is going to make it. 

They are giving backers the 18+ patch for free now so if that was holding you up now's the time. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Deep Blue said:

this campaign is going to fail :/ what a shame.

even more so since the devs stance is pretty much clear regarding possible future projects if that one wont make it into the goal. cant see them going the dlc way like nextninja at all. guess it´s rip akagoei & stuff for eternity.

45 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

I guess it's not that surprising. The US VN market just isn't that big; you should really need to pull in the anime market to get that level of funding. I don't know how Sekai Project managed to get > $150,000 for Root Double.

Libra did better, tho, and not only the game but also the company behind it was completely unknown in the west.

I really enjoyed this VN alot more than I thought I would.

I just can't believe how popular VNs are becoming in the west. I always assumed these would be things I'd never see in the West, let alone on Steam.

Honestly, at this point, in the next 3 years, I would not be surprised to see a F/SN NA release...ok, yeah I would, because Nasu would never allow it, but by god, cant' someone override his decision?!

By the way, all hope is not lost. The most funding for ANY project comes on the first 1 day, and the last day. So it's totally possible to still hit the goal.

12 hours ago, WinterfuryZX said:

Libra did better, tho, and not only the game but also the company behind it was completely unknown in the west.

This is fair. One big difference, which I forgot until just now, between Sharin and both Root Double and Libra is that this game already has a translation (albeit a much-benighted one). Have we yet seen a Kickstarter (successful or unsuccessful) for an already-translated game that wasn't also able to pull in the anime audience? I can't recall any. Clannad and Muv-Luv are the only VN Kickstarters I can think of for already-translated games.

It's also possible that Decay was onto something a little while back when he suggested that we may already be at market saturation for VNs in the west. I'm still on the fence about that one, especially in some areas: for instance, I'm pretty sure if a F/SN localization KS materialized, it'd rake in the dough just like Clannad and Muv Luv did.

I think the failure of this campaign is a combination of a lack of marketing (launching the campaign a few days before Anime Expo was a bad idea that resulted in any traction slowing to a halt) and an overestimation of the demand for this VN. It's been fan-translated for a while now, doesn't have an anime, and even though it's well-regarded it doesn't have anything close to a fandom like Grisaia or Muv-Luv. $140,000 as the base goal is asking for a lot, and the stretch goals are practically impossible.

It's a shame, because I would've liked to reread this officially and with a better translation, but it doesn't look like it's gonna happen at this rate. At a lower goal and with better planning this could've been successful. It's got a good average pledge per backer, but not enough reach to reel in the necessary number of backers.

The whole thing just seems like one big miscalculation.

17 minutes ago, RikiSanic said:

I think the failure of this campaign is a combination of a lack of marketing (launching the campaign a few days before Anime Expo was a bad idea that resulted in any traction slowing to a halt) and an overestimation of the demand for this VN. It's been fan-translated for a while now, doesn't have an anime, and even though it's well-regarded it doesn't have anything close to a fandom like Grisaia or Muv-Luv. $140,000 as the base goal is asking for a lot, and the stretch goals are practically impossible.

It's a shame, because I would've liked to reread this officially and with a better translation, but it doesn't look like it's gonna happen at this rate. At a lower goal and with better planning this could've been successful. It's got a good average pledge per backer, but not enough reach to reel in the necessary number of backers.

The whole thing just seems like one big miscalculation.

We'll see. I've seen a ton of Kickstarters hit 72 hours, and being over 50% away from their goal and then in those 72 hours, exceeding it.

1 minute ago, Mkilbride said:

We'll see. I've seen a ton of Kickstarters hit 72 hours, and being over 50% away from their goal and then in those 72 hours, exceeding it.

I'd normally be with you (I believed Root Double would make its goal even though many were predicting its failure) but the conditions just don't seem to be right for this Kickstarter. It hasn't had a significant bump in funding since the beginning and various updates have yet to change that. Unless they manage to get some big shout-outs or other coverage of some kind, I just don't know how they're going to attract enough backers.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but this campaign doesn't seem to be following the trends of other successful campaigns I've seen—not even the close-call ones.