Another new guy

wolfrayet

Salutations; thought I might as well use this forum for its intended purpose and drop a line.

Been playing visual novels on and off since 2012 (bet you can't guess which one I played first). I'm very interested in fiction, and VNs were a kind of storytelling media that was brand new to me (still is, really). That developed into a small hobby, but until now I've never entered into the visual novel community, as it were. So, in frequenting these forums I hope to discuss them, rather than just playing, and thus gain a greater understanding of the medium. And possibly shitpost from time to time.

That's all; see ya around.

1 hour ago, wolfrayet said:

Been playing visual novels on and off since 2012 (bet you can't guess which one I played first).

:ryuusui:  CHALLENGE ACCEPTED :ryuusui:

Wait, that is a tough challenge... uhm... I'm gonna go with the old standby of Katawa Shoujo and just keep guessing from there. :kosame:

Oh, and welcome. Have a random waifu.

Spoiler

Sagisawa.Chiho.full.1396592.jpg

55 minutes ago, littleshogun said:

Welcome to the forum, and if I may guess your first VN according to your VN list, maybe Crescendo? Anyway, hope you had fun here and enjoying yourself here. Oh, if you need some help in regard of VN don't hesitate to ask us here.

Remind me never to bet on @littleshogun's predictions.

Obviously it was that eminently approachable and popular game, Sharin!

Spoiler

No seriously, I think 99% of VN players' first VN was Katawa Shoujo, especially around 2012. I'm absolutely certain that was, in fact, the joke...

Well, sorry there Fred. Looks like I miss the joke there. My bet was based on the release date, and I think I just using my experience to guess based on that, like when I browse in some site and find Crescendo as one of best VN. Although if we talked about the VN player from 2012, the answer of the first VN should be obvious *facepalm*. But I think while my answer was wrong there, Crescendo still good VN for the beginner, especially back when there's many release from G-Collection (You know what) and I think it still is.

PS - To OP wolfrayet, if you interested to talk about VN Translation history, I think I could try to tell the story about it although it may not quite comprehensive though.

2 minutes ago, littleshogun said:

Well, sorry there Fred. Looks like I miss the joke there. My bet was based on the release date, and I think I just using my experience to guess based on that, like when I browse in some site and find Crescendo as one of best VN. Although if we talked about the VN player from 2012, the answer of the first VN should be obvious *facepalm*. But I think while my answer was wrong there, Crescendo still good VN for the beginner, especially back when there's many release from G-Collection (You know what) and I think it still is.

Yeah, I don't think it's the quality of the VN, just the fact that probably anywhere from 80% and up of the members on this site probably read KS as their first VN. :wahaha:

On 4/18/2016 at 4:06 PM, Valmore said:

Wait, that is a tough challenge... uhm... I'm gonna go with the old standby of Katawa Shoujo and just keep guessing from there. :kosame:

Dingdingding! The release date was meant to be a bit of a giveaway. I hypothesized that a disproportionate number of "Introduce Yourself" posts contain some mention of Katawa Shoujo, so I figured I might as well be a little coy about it.

In any case, thank you all for the wishes, welcomes and compliments.

22 hours ago, Flutterz said:

Welcome to the forums! Hope you enjoy your stay!

Do you have a favourite VN?

Hm... for me, the word "favorite" is usually reserved for something that I enjoy nearly 100% of, with little to no complaints. I can't say any VN I've played so far has resonated with me to quite that degree.

But as for "VNs I've enjoyed the most," I would answer with two Akabeisoft2 titles, G-senjou no Maou and Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo. They're pretty solid. And of course, Katawa Shoujo will always be special for introducing me to all of this. And again, thank you for the warm welcome.