What methods do you use to watch anime?

atchikotchi

I must say, you have me almost completely sold except for one thing; "old dogs don't learn new tricks". I've been streaming anime for three years now and I really don't want to hassle myself with learning which sites to download from, and whether their safe, etc. That, and I feel if I get accustomed to a "higher quality experience" I will be spoiling myself to the point of no return. I don't mind stream quality and notice nothing particularly flawed with it, but If I get used to perpetually watching Blu-Ray quality then I feel I will become as nit-picky as a spoiled aristocratic brat. I don't want to develop such a sharp sense of observation that the smallest things will impede my enjoyment of merely watching a series.

Hey now, as one of the "old Dogs" I take offense to that. I used to stream Anime. Still do on Crunchroll every once and a while. But I always found streaming a hassle, ads and the amount of time it takes for the streaming site to even get the anime. I can get a Raw version sometimes a couple hours after it airs in Japan. Not to say I do that all the time.

As I mentioned earlier, I buy what I like, but I download the rest. Download>stream its faster, I have epic internet, and I get to have the show, like Alden_0023 said

Also, it gives me the option to watch the anime again even without internet connection, as the copy is just sitting here on my hard drive.

Hey now, as one of the "old Dogs" I take offense to that. I used to stream Anime. Still do on Crunchroll every once and a while. But I always found streaming a hassle, ads and the amount of time it takes for the streaming site to even get the anime. I can get a Raw version sometimes a couple hours after it airs in Japan. Not to say I do that all the time.

As I mentioned earlier, I buy what I like, but I download the rest. Download>stream its faster, I have epic internet, and I get to have the show, like Alden_0023 said

When I said "old dogs don't learn new tricks", I was only really referring to myself. Hell, I got to commend you for how adaptable you are. I hate change, and am quite frugal when it comes to my financies. Meaning that if I weren't born into the generation I was, I could easily picture myself still collection VHS tapes. :P Also I tend to watch anime that is at least several years old (There are some exceptions to this, but this is the general rule), and I never follow currently airing anime. I treat anime like I do to books, I don't often read contemporary fiction, and I like to read/watch at my own pace without having to wait for a new episode to come out. This is actually the main practical reason of mine to prefer streaming. As last week I was trying to download Psycho-Pass (one of the exceptional animes I watched that isn't years old), but because it was licensed I couldn't find a single download for it; this is a problem I don't have with streaming sites. And before you bash me with a moral hammer, I plan on buying the DVDs when the anime is released, but Funimation has not made a dub for the series yet so it won't be for a while when I can finally buy them.

As last week I was trying to download Psycho-Pass (one of the exceptional animes I watched that isn't years old), but because it was licensed I couldn't find a single download for it; this is a problem I don't have with streaming sites

Well, that's more a matter of habitude I guess.

I wouldn't be able to find a reliable streaming site without having to search quite a lot for it, yet it never took me more than a few minutes to find a working torrent for any series ever.

Well, that's more a matter of habitude I guess.

I wouldn't be able to find a reliable streaming site without having to search quite a lot for it, yet it never took me more than a few minutes to find a working torrent for any series ever.

Mind pming me them. As I spent a decent amount of time on Google trying to find downloads for it (granted most of them were direct downloads and not torrents), but I still couldn't find the series available anywhere.

Mind pming me them. As I spent a decent amount of time on Google trying to find downloads for it (granted most of them were direct downloads and not torrents), but I still couldn't find the series available anywhere.

Psycho Pass?

sure PM incoming.

• 2 weeks later...

My hard drive is almost full, though hopefully I can get a new one this summer. I usually stick to streams since I don't have much room, but I'll go for downloads if I can't find any decent quality streams. Adblock Plus for Firefox does great at blocking Cruncyroll's ads so they're just reduced to second-long pauses.

When it comes to subs vs dubs, I'd have to go with subs. For some reason most of the dubs have voice acting that's just absolutely terrible, even if they have good voice actors. I guess it's not so bad for learning Japanese though, anyway. It's pretty cool being able to slowly understand more and more of the dialogue.

I mostly use Crunchyroll because it's sooo convenient. Anything else I torrent~

When I was at uni and I was broke, plus torrenting was banned, I used direct DLs and streaming. But I much prefer how I do it now, much less hassle!

I mostly use Crunchyroll because it's sooo convenient. Anything else I torrent~

When I was at uni and I was broke, plus torrenting was banned, I used direct DLs and streaming. But I much prefer how I do it now, much less hassle!

I used to use crunchyroll, but their adverts killed me. was watching break blade, 45 minute long episodes. 7+ commercial breaks per episode.

an advert every 6-7 minutes was just obnoxious, especially days where they screened the 30-45 second ones that you couldn't skip.

I used to use crunchyroll, but their adverts killed me. was watching break blade, 45 minute long episodes. 7+ commercial breaks per episode.

an advert every 6-7 minutes was just obnoxious, especially days where they screened the 30-45 second ones that you couldn't skip.

There are ads on Crunchyroll?! Even when you pay?! I only watch standard 25 min eps, and don't see any ads in those, thank goodness.

The worst is when you watch a 30 second ad to watch a 90 second PV.

• 4 weeks later...

My internet speed (and probably RAM too) isn't friendly enough for online watching so I download most of the time, with the smallest resolution I'll allow myself to download is 480p (because I don't like LQs) but I'll always try to find a 720p (preferably mini-encoded) dl link first before downloading the 480p version (or sometimes I just give up and don't download at all). At the worst case I'll torrent the whole series in a batch but I'm never good with anime batch torrents (down speed almost <10 kbps or sometimes not downloading at all) probably because of my region? oTL

Ya know I've got 100 Mb Fiber optic, I install Adblock in chrome and start my streaming session! Damn the problem is the Core 2 Quad processor that is practically obsolete but still have no problems so...

And if the anime is good use torrent download and I have it complete in less than 2~4 hours... Good life :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

What is your favorite method of watching anime. Do you stream it, download it, or buy the DVD's? Or is there some other method that I don't know of?

When I first started to watch anime, I would just stream it off of any site that I could find. After a while I started to get aggravated at the terrible quality of most streaming site so I decided to start downloading the anime off of fansub sites. I have since had to buy an external hard drive since I don't like deleting things even after I have finished them.

I'm downloading currently, but will definitely be buying my favorite shows as soon as I'm done moving.

Most of the time I don't keep the files since it doesn't even take half an hour to download a whole season with my connection, that's what I made a MAL for if I ever want to watch something again.