What methods do you use to watch anime?

atchikotchi

yep, the title pretty much says it ahah so what choice do you guys use as the best way to watch anime? torrents, direct downloads, streaming it online (i.e; Crunchyroll, Hulu, other 3rd party streaming websites) buying it (i.e; dvd,bd) or TV (i.e; Toonami)?

i definitely prefer torrents, as watching it on streaming websites freezes my pc due to the ads and renders the videos un-watchable and direct downloads take too much time. (>д<)

I use torrents to watch unlicenced anime. But it should be known that I have spent thousands of dollars on my anime collection. If theres a show I like I buy it.

My collection started with Laser Disks and VHS. Now I own hundreds of DVD's Blu Rays ect. I believe in supporting the anime industry. While I do "Pirate" anime, I more then make up for it in my empty wallet. FOr instance, I just recieved a huge shipment of anime (thanks to my wonderful wife)

There are a few great torrent sites for anime. If anyone wants the links send me a PM.

I get everything from torrent. nyaa torrent has most of it and the rest can be found from the website of the subtitle group (you can check sites like anidb to see what subtitle releases of what anime there is).

And when it comes to actual watching, I tried monitor in chair, I tried TV from sofa, but in the end what suits me the most is my small monitor "in my face" which I have in my bed (also called H-bed).

For player I use pot player which is a korean player with big support for anime so you can customize lot of stuff to fit your needs.

I use xdcc, torrents (sites like AnimeBytes or Nyaa), and then stream from sites like Crunchyroll since I have membership. If there's something I don't have and I don't want to download it, KissAnime is a great site. They offer 720p streaming, no ads, free downloads, and even a choice between using Flash player or HTML5! (Works great on stuff like my iPad :D)

I get the fansubs, copy them to a PC in my living room hooked up to my TV, and watch them. If I like the show, I burn it to a DVD (or recently, a BluRay). If not, it gets deleted. If I show I like comes out in the U.S. and it's not from Funimation, I get it. I watch those on the same PC. But I still keep the fansub if the subs are different, unless the fansub is really old and blurry, and then I may toss it.

I have an LD player that was a giveaway, but no anime for it. Occasionally I meet someone who lets me borrow their LDs.

I still have some anime on VHS. I'm not sure what to do with it, so it just sits in a box in the closet.

If a show I like comes out in the U.S. and it's not from Funimation, I get it.

Lol, Funimation practically has a monopoly in the U.S. anime industry now, so that would mean you pretty much never buy anime. I don't at all intend to seem like I'm judging you, I just find it kind of humorous that you avoid the main company that dubs and releases anime in the States now. May I ask what you have against Funimation?

I have a problem with some of the shows I've bought from Funimation. Things like video quality problems, and translation quality problems. For example, my Mahou Sensei Negima has this noticeable analog noise throughout. Not digital noise, but analog. I don't know why it's there. It shouldn't be. Another one I remember was Moon Phase. That one had a translation which was worse than the fansub, plus it had lots of digital noise There are a lot of dark, shadowy scenes and you could see blocks and bands both. I haven't had that kind of trouble with ADV, Bandai Visual, AnimEigo, Nozomi, Geneon, or Pioneer. Or Sentai Filmworks so far, but I need a larger sample size to be sure. DVDs are not HD, but I have anime DVDs that are clear as crystal. If I can't trust a company with DVDs, how could I trust them with Blu-rays?

So it's true there are less good companies to buy new anime now, but I make up for it with used anime. With used anime I save about 1/3 of the price, and it seems like anime fans take care of their discs very well. I think only one time I had to put something back because the discs were all scratched. All the rest of the time, my used discs have been perfect.

Finally, I don't care that Funimation is the main dubbing company. I never listen to dubs. Yes, all that time and all that expense on English voice actors--completely wasted on me. Because I don't need or want it.

Mostly torrents via nyaa or bakabt, and DL/torrents when looking for spanish fansubs.

But, if the shows I like are licensed, I buy them. I'm still waiting for my Madoka vol. 2. And I will have Summer Wars, The girl who leapt through time and Wolf children Ame and Yuki soon ^^

Streaming sites. I usually use Animeseason.

Thank you! Another person who streams anime like me. :D I never could understand why most people prefer to spend the time downloading it, when they could instantly watch it online. Maybe they just don't have as good an internet connection as me? The only pro to downloading against streaming that I know of, is that the visual quality is better; but I honestly have trouble telling the difference between DVD quality and Blu-ray quality so I don't mind the supposed "lower quality" experience. Only on occasion do I notice boxy quality, in which case I just switch to a different site since I'm familiar with plenty. Anyway, while I usually stream anime for my first viewing if I like something enough to rewatch it, then I usually buy the DVDs unless if their unavailable.

I have a problem with some of the shows I've bought from Funimation. Things like video quality problems, and translation quality problems. Finally, I don't care that Funimation is the main dubbing company. I never listen to dubs.

Sorry to hear about your ill experience with Funimation. I haven't noticed any discrepancies with the quality in the DVDs and Blu-Rays I purchased from them, so I always thought they were great. However, as I mentioned before I am not very scrutinizing with the quality of videos and audio, so things like that could easily fly pass me. As for dubs, I feel as though people will publicly stone me for admitting it, but I generally watch dubs unless if it's absolutely abominable (which for the animes I watched thus far, it has generally been a rare occurrence). Most of the time that I watch an anime subbed is usually because the series doesn't have a dub yet.

Crunchyroll, HULU, torrents from bakabt, and if I can buy it and I like it I buy it, I hate to even think how much I have spent on anime, and I damn sure don't want the Little Lady (yes, I am married and yes I watch anime, lol) to actually add up how much, lol

Crunchyroll, HULU, torrents from bakabt, and if I can buy it and I like it I buy it, I hate to even think how much I have spent on anime, and I damn sure don't want the Little Lady (yes, I am married and yes I watch anime, lol) to actually add up how much, lol

lol ive been married over 20 years. The key to ensure your anime happiness, is to convert the Mrs into loving anime as much as you do!! Trust me, it makes life soooo much easier!!

lol ive been married over 20 years. The key to ensure your anime happiness, is to convert the Mrs into loving anime as much as you do!! Trust me, it makes life soooo much easier!!

Actually she does, we always watch a show before bed together! Right now it's Tari Tari, before that it was Kotoura-san, before that was Hanasaku Iroha (which is now one of her favorites) and Honey and Clover was before that (which is one of her absolute favorites now) and before that, well, I don't remember, but you get the picture, she loves anime as well. having said that I STILL do not want her doing the math, LOL

Thank you! Another person who streams anime like me. biggrin.gif I never could understand why most people prefer to spend the time downloading it, when they could instantly watch it online. Maybe they just don't have as good an internet connection as me? The only pro to downloading against streaming that I know of, is that the visual quality is better; but I honestly have trouble telling the difference between DVD quality and Blu-ray quality so I don't mind the supposed "lower quality" experience.

It doesn't take that long to download an episode, I can download 720p episode before I return with a glass of water so internet is not the reason. I already made a lengthy post on this like half a year ago so I will just copy it here:

-Firstly its free xD

-Then you get to choose sub group, for the batch BD release the awesome groups often make v2 of many of the episodes, polish the translation to be as smooth as possible and release the best release together. (can't compare to the crunchy quality because I never saw it but I think you only have one choice of group of translators there).

-It is a soft sub, you can edit the subs to be better to look at, change things in the player (I use Pot Player), change color if you don't like the one they picked.

-It is ultra quality, if you chose BD 1080p release with FLAC sound, you cannon do better, it is the best there is, you will feel like you are in the anime, no steam blurs, no lag, exceptional audio which is in these anime very important and if you think you don't see difference between usual stream audio of about 196kbps and FLAC 320kbps, you should listen more closely xD

And when it is BD it means no ads (or tornado, earthquake warnings on the bottom), no flare censor, now it gotten even worse with some anime where they for the TV release censor pantsu shots, not only boobies. In BD they only have to normal japanese genitalia censor and you have full view of pantsu and boobies (worst example would be To love ru darkness, one scene was almost totally black on the TV version because of censor and then one was completely white flare so I just wait for the BD release)

-You have the files available all the time, if your internet provider is messing with you you can watch it anyway, and its not only provider, they might have some problems too on the streaming site. And even youtube which is owned by one of the most powerful internet companies has lot of problems and sometimes video buffers slowly etc. You keep the files even if the copyright is changed or whatever (for example I just looked at the crunchy site and only a small pick of series is available for me, for the rest it says it is not available in my region - Europe). You can transfer the files to your other devices, you can connect external HDD do your TV and play it there even if you don't have your TV connected to internet. You just have it and it is yours, nobody can decline the access to your favorite anime.

-You get all the other benefits of having the files, if you have good player, you can easily bind buttons to jump over OP, skip ED and start new EP etc and it can automatically do these stuff, Pot Player is very much designed for these Anime and the sub groups add the chapters, they mark exactly when the OP starts and ends, you can see it on the navigation bar and either click it, bind a button or auto skip it, also it auto loads the whole series so it plays without pause if you so desire, no clicking and buffering new episodes, it just works and plays the series from start to finish xD Sub groups often have karaoke of songs very nicely done too.

Actually she does, we always watch a show before bed together! Right now it's Tari Tari, before that it was Kotoura-san, before that was Hanasaku Iroha (which is now one of her favorites) and Honey and Clover was before that (which is one of her absolute favorites now) and before that, well, I don't remember, but you get the picture, she loves anime as well. having said that I STILL do not want her doing the math, LOL

hahahaha i hear ya. I agree about Hanasaku Iroha, my wife and I really enjoyed it. The movie is fantastic as well. I recently got a chance to see an unsubbed version and it picks up right where the series left off. Anyway, glad to see another married person on the forums. I look forward to having some anime talk with you.

I used to download full series at a time but laptops running outta memory so starting to watch from 3rd party sites. Only problem withm3rd party sites is the copyright removal problems -_-

So in the middle of watching a series it suddenly disappears and I have to rapidly search for other sites that have the series and rush finishing it in fear of it being removed again ._.

It doesn't take that long to download an episode, I can download 720p episode before I return with a glass of water so internet is not the reason. I already made a lengthy post on this like half a year ago so I will just copy it here:

-Firstly its free xD

-Then you get to choose sub group, for the batch BD release the awesome groups often make v2 of many of the episodes, polish the translation to be as smooth as possible and release the best release together. (can't compare to the crunchy quality because I never saw it but I think you only have one choice of group of translators there).

-It is a soft sub, you can edit the subs to be better to look at, change things in the player (I use Pot Player), change color if you don't like the one they picked.

-It is ultra quality, if you chose BD 1080p release with FLAC sound, you cannon do better, it is the best there is, you will feel like you are in the anime, no steam blurs, no lag, exceptional audio which is in these anime very important and if you think you don't see difference between usual stream audio of about 196kbps and FLAC 320kbps, you should listen more closely xD

And when it is BD it means no ads (or tornado, earthquake warnings on the bottom), no flare censor, now it gotten even worse with some anime where they for the TV release censor pantsu shots, not only boobies. In BD they only have to normal japanese genitalia censor and you have full view of pantsu and boobies (worst example would be To love ru darkness, one scene was almost totally black on the TV version because of censor and then one was completely white flare so I just wait for the BD release)

-You have the files available all the time, if your internet provider is messing with you you can watch it anyway, and its not only provider, they might have some problems too on the streaming site. And even youtube which is owned by one of the most powerful internet companies has lot of problems and sometimes video buffers slowly etc. You keep the files even if the copyright is changed or whatever (for example I just looked at the crunchy site and only a small pick of series is available for me, for the rest it says it is not available in my region - Europe). You can transfer the files to your other devices, you can connect external HDD do your TV and play it there even if you don't have your TV connected to internet. You just have it and it is yours, nobody can decline the access to your favorite anime.

-You get all the other benefits of having the files, if you have good player, you can easily bind buttons to jump over OP, skip ED and start new EP etc and it can automatically do these stuff, Pot Player is very much designed for these Anime and the sub groups add the chapters, they mark exactly when the OP starts and ends, you can see it on the navigation bar and either click it, bind a button or auto skip it, also it auto loads the whole series so it plays without pause if you so desire, no clicking and buffering new episodes, it just works and plays the series from start to finish xD Sub groups often have karaoke of songs very nicely done too.

I must say, you have me almost completely sold except for one thing; "old dogs don't learn new tricks". I've been streaming anime for three years now and I really don't want to hassle myself with learning which sites to download from, and whether their safe, etc. That, and I feel if I get accustomed to a "higher quality experience" I will be spoiling myself to the point of no return. I don't mind stream quality and notice nothing particularly flawed with it, but If I get used to perpetually watching Blu-Ray quality then I feel I will become as nit-picky as a spoiled aristocratic brat. I don't want to develop such a sharp sense of observation that the smallest things will impede my enjoyment of merely watching a series.

I must say, you have me almost completely sold except for one thing; "old dogs don't learn new tricks". I've been streaming anime for three years now and I really don't want to hassle myself with learning which sites to download from, and whether their safe, etc. That, and I feel if I get accustomed to a "higher quality experience" I will be spoiling myself to the point of no return. I don't mind stream quality and notice nothing particularly flawed with it, but If I get used to perpetually watching Blu-Ray quality then I feel I will become as nit-picky as a spoiled aristocratic brat. I don't want to develop such a sharp sense of observation that the smallest things will impede my enjoyment of merely watching a series.

Well, I don't apologize to anyone for enjoying the finer things in life: gourmet cuisine, a fine bottle of wine, tailored suits, classical music, pristine AV quality ;-)

No, really, the "old dogs" reason is the main reason I don't stream: I'm so used to the DL method. (And when I started on digital fansubs back in 2003, the DL method was the ONLY method, there was no streaming worth a plugged nickel.)

I didn't get spoiled from getting used to quality. If a show's going to become my favorite, it's going to become my favorite, HQ or not. It's more about, when you're going to buy anime, if you're getting LQ video while they're getting an HQ release over in Japan, don't you want to know about it? I do...

I mostly download my anime through streaming sites by using IDM. Downloading seems to be a lot faster for me than streaming anime. Also, it gives me the option to watch the anime again even without internet connection, as the copy is just sitting here on my hard drive. Quality is not that good, but still watchable.