Tokyo Babel Spanish translation project (Proyecto español)

Aleister

So, a long time ago I don't do a post hahah. This time it's about tokyo babel, a project that my group of spanish translations wants to take (Translation eng-spn), we have the team all armed and ready, but the biggest problem we face is that we haven't a hacker that it can extract the script and others to begin our project. So this time I came to ask for help to the community, if there is anyone among you that can lend a hand we'd really appreciate it.

Then the team is:

Project Leader:

Aleister

Translator:

Lestat Lamperogue

Editor:

Aleister

Image editor:

MacroHEX

Contact me: Private message or here 

[email protected]

PD: I'm really good not at this and I'm noob, so sorry if I haven't expressed correctly :vinty:

Sin darme cuenta puse todo el post en ingles jaja, si alguno sabe español o portugués siéntanse libre de comentar así, es un poco mas cómodo para mi :mare:

tokyobabel.jpg

8 hours ago, Satsuki said:

Are you sure you want to work on a licensed title?

Technically all professional visual novels are "licensed", whether it be in Japanese or English or some other language.  You'll have to elaborate how copyright infringement of an English release is conceptually any different than infringement of a Japanese release.  Or is your point that MangaGamer is more likely to aggressively pursue a takedown than a typical Japanese company?

Yo por desgracia no puedo ayudarte con ese asunto, pero te deseo mucha suerte con este proyecto y espero leer tu traducción una vez que la termines. :mare:

It's remarkable that I'm able to understand this almost as well as Japanese, even though I haven't touched Spanish in 12 years and never progressed beyond the equivalent of 1 year of college courses.  Japanese, how you taunt me...

This game will be a pain to translate.

The sentences in english are totaly different from japanese's (with some mistakes and mistranslation here and there). 

Trust me that's not worth to translate from english. It would be better to translate from jap>spn

28 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

It's remarkable that I'm able to understand this almost as well as Japanese, even though I haven't touched Spanish in 12 years and never progressed beyond the equivalent of 1 year of college courses.  Japanese, how you taunt me...

Is japanese really that difficult to learn? Just curious since I'm going to take some classes soon.

51 minutes ago, Kirashi said:

The sentences in english are totaly different from japanese's (with some mistakes and mistranslation here and there). 

Trust me that's not worth to translate from english. It would be better to translate from jap>spn

I'll accept this argument for Japanese -> Spanish -> English, but not for Japanese -> English -> Spanish.  Why?  Beggars can't be choosers.  The Spanish audience for VNs (that doesn't know English or Japanese) is likely much smaller than the English audience (that doesn't know Japanese).  This group has my blessing.  They're serving an audience that has been neglected by companies.  If we held Spanish translation groups to the same standards as English translation groups, their already meagre output would shrink even further.

49 minutes ago, Aizen-Sama said:

Is japanese really that difficult to learn? Just curious since I'm going to take some classes soon.

With 1 year of Spanish, I could read simple conversational language and product labels.  With 1 year of Japanese, I couldn't read anything except the example sentences in my textbook.  Not to mention looking up words in Japanese (without text hooking) is much much harder than looking up words in any language based on the Latin alphabet.  A sentence in Spanish that might take me less than a minute to look up could take several minutes or more in Japanese.  In Spanish, you just need to look up the word.  In Japanese, you have to look up every unfamiliar kanji in the word, and THEN look the word up--often to discover that it's a word you already knew.  This makes reading Japanese without text hooking extremely frustrating and time consuming unless you're already nearly fluent (or you just give up on discovering the meaning of unfamiliar kanji / words).

1 hour ago, Kiriririri said:

Imo Japanese is really easy to learn and the hardest part is having enough motivation to grind all the kanji.

27 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

With 1 year of Spanish, I could read simple conversational language and product labels.  With 1 year of Japanese, I couldn't read anything except the example sentences in my textbook.  Not to mention looking up words in Japanese (without text hooking) is much much harder than looking up words in any language based on the Latin alphabet.  A sentence in Spanish that might take me less than a minute to look up could take several minutes or more in Japanese.  In Spanish, you just need to look up the word.  In Japanese, you have to look up every unfamiliar kanji in the word, and THEN look the word up--often to discover that it's a word you already knew.  This makes reading Japanese without text hooking extremely frustrating and time consuming unless you're already nearly fluent (or you just give up on discovering the meaning of unfamiliar kanji / words).

Thank you for the insight guys, I really don't know what to expect, but I have to try nonetheless. I'll maybe ask som questions about how to write certain symbols in this forum in the future, who knows? :mare:

5 hours ago, Kirashi said:

We have someone who knows Japanese in the team, but only be able to help us with TLC, with that we are fine... (maybe)

5 hours ago, Aizen-Sama said:

The Japanese is easy, how difficult it is have the desire and patience to learn everything correctly

4 hours ago, sanahtlig said:

I'll accept this argument for Japanese -> Spanish -> English, but not for Japanese -> English -> Spanish.  Why?  Beggars can't be choosers.  The Spanish audience for VNs (that doesn't know English or Japanese) is likely much smaller than the English audience (that doesn't know Japanese).  This group has my blessing.  They're serving an audience that has been neglected by companies.  If we held Spanish translation groups to the same standards as English translation groups, their already meagre output would shrink even further.

I understand your point and I agree, but I am just talking about THIS translation. Even though the story is good, the translation really suck and is REALLY far from the japanese meaning. English speakers seems happy with this translation though.

I know you are fluent in japanese, you should give a try (I played the trial). You will understand within your 30 first minutes. I already spotted like 2-3 mistakes within 10 minutes.

4 hours ago, Aleister said:

We have someone who knows Japanese in the team, but only be able to help us with TLC, with that we are fine... (maybe)

The TLC will be useful. I wish you good luck.

21 hours ago, Satsuki said:

Are you sure you want to work on a licensed title?

12 hours ago, sanahtlig said:

Technically all professional visual novels are "licensed", whether it be in Japanese or English or some other language.  You'll have to elaborate how copyright infringement of an English release is conceptually any different than infringement of a Japanese release.  Or is your point that MangaGamer is more likely to aggressively pursue a takedown than a typical Japanese company?

Well of course all translations has a chance of being hit by copyright claims, but very often the Japanese don't care that much about what we here in the west do. It's rare that they go out of their way to stop a translation project.

Mangagamer on the other hand, will most likely be more out for blood when it comes to protecting their licenses. It also goes without saying that when you have someone on 2 fronts, both the English translators and the Japanese company to worry about, it will be harder to get away with the translation should it be picked up on.

If you guys are serious about this, then good luck. There is of course a chance that nothing happens and that they just allow you to go on, but there is also a chance they get cranky and lash out.

Just have to wait and see.

19 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

Mangagamer on the other hand, will most likely be more out for blood when it comes to protecting their licenses.

Doubtful.  MangaGamer has nothing to gain and everything to lose by interfering with a fan translation to a non-English language.  If they were interested in Spanish translations they'd be doing them.  Fan translation is embedded in the English fandom (indeed, many of MangaGamer's staff were or still are fan translators), and English fans will react poorly if MangaGamer begins squashing projects with no good justification.  Japanese companies C&D fan translations for two reasons: to prevent their games from being known or sold outside Japan (perhaps in compliance with EOCS regulations), or because they're interested in expanding into the English market and don't want potential sales slipping through their fingers.  They're also disconnected from the English fanbase so fan backlash isn't even on their radar.  Neither of these reasons would apply in MangaGamer's case.  They'd simply be inviting fan backlash for no actual benefit.

Just now, sanahtlig said:

Doubtful.  MangaGamer has nothing to gain and everything to lose by interfering with a fan translation to a non-English language.  If they were interested in Spanish translations they'd be doing them.  Fan translation is embedded in the English fandom (indeed, many of MangaGamer's staff were or still are fan translators), and English fans will react poorly if MangaGamer begins squashing projects with no good justification.  Japanese companies C&D fan translations for two reasons: to prevent their games from being known or sold outside Japan (perhaps in compliance with EOCS regulations), or because they're interested in expanding into the English market and don't want potential sales slipping through their fingers.  Neither of these reasons would apply in MangaGamer's case.  They'd simply be inviting fan backlash for no actual benefit.

I can't speak for Mangagamer, so like I said, we'll have to wait and see.

This is something that is licenced under Mangagamer's name, meaning that even if they themselves aren't interested in translating it into Spanish, there is a chance that they don't want someone else doing it without their permission.

22 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

There is of course a chance that nothing happens and that they just allow you to go on, but there is also a chance they get cranky and lash out.

A meteor could come crashing down and kill the main translator, terminating the project.  There's a chance of it; you can't dismiss it!

Warning people about negative consequences without justification or precedent isn't prudence: it's simply fear-mongering.  How many non-English VN fan translations have been shut down by English publishers?  To my knowledge: 0. 

3 hours ago, sanahtlig said:

A meteor could come crashing down and kill the main translator, terminating the project.  There's a chance of it; you can't dismiss it!

Warning people about negative consequences without justification or precedent isn't prudence: it's simply fear-mongering.  How many non-English VN fan translations have been shut down by English publishers?  To my knowledge: 0. 

0, then? That proves nothing, since everything starts from 0.

14 minutes ago, Arcadeotic said:

Good luck to you Aleister

Everyone has to start from somewhere

Even if I know zilt about the Spanish language, I'll still be looking at this project every now and then

Thanks for the support Arcadeotic :sachi: