Lucid9:Inciting Incident Discussion Thread

Dark_blade64

What do you think about this upcoming english visual novel? Voice acting sounds bad, but I might or maybe not bear it depending how annoying it is. These guys will make the whole visual novel free to play so I was wondering what you guys thought about it? Writing looks passable but who knows maybe it turns out to be good, or maybe just horrible? Anyway is someone willing to try it or will most people just pass?

6 minutes ago, Arcadeotic said:

I'll play it as soon as I have the time for it

Maybe the voice acting is bad and the writing's passable, but still I can't exactly complain and sound entitled when the game is completely free

It looks nice, and looking forward to it very much

I totally agree. And if the novel turns out to be great then that's even better. I mean who doesn't like good games? :D

1 hour ago, Dark_blade64 said:

I totally agree. And if the novel turns out to be great then that's even better. I mean who doesn't like good games? :D

Exactly!

It's just stupid to be entitled to free shit a la 4chan, especially when it's not Kickstarted or anything like that

But anyways, if the game is indeed good, all the very much better

From the sprite, I think it was quite good looking, but if the voice was turned out to be horrible, hopefully we'll be able to turn off the voice. Although I also appreciate the developer here who using voice acting though. For this VN, hopefully it'll be 2nd coming of Katawa Shoujo, and the developer here would develop the character route nicely unlike No One But You (Although from common route development it's already winning in term of production time though). Last thing, since this VN it's free might give a try later.

37 minutes ago, littleshogun said:

From the sprite, I think it was quite good looking, but if the voice was turned out to be horrible, hopefully we'll be able to turn off the voice. Although I also appreciate the developer here who using voice acting though. For this VN, hopefully it'll be 2nd coming of Katawa Shoujo, and the developer here would develop the character route nicely unlike No One But You (Although from common route development it's already winning in term of production time though). Last thing, since this VN it's free might give a try later.

We realize that some people don't exactly like english voice over (since it's in english and people are more accustomed to it, they automatically tend to be able to judge more easily and be more picky, which is totally fine though), so we'll make sure to have an option to disable voices!

38 minutes ago, Diamon said:

We realize that some people don't exactly like english voice over (since it's in english and people are more accustomed to it, they automatically tend to be able to judge more easily and be more picky, which is totally fine though), so we'll make sure to have an option to disable voices!

I don't mind english voice over but if done right. My opinion originated from watching the voice cast trailer, which I didn't like how they pronounce the character lines and it din't help I found the voices to not match the characters. Now as a matter of fact obviously I still have to play this game so my feelings towards the voices could change in due time.

Anyway my statement only reflects my own opinion regarding this case, which mean always is there some people or maybe lots of them whos opinion could be the opposite of my thinking. Anyway having the option to disable voices of free will is a good choice because there is people who will refuse to play a game if they dislike the voice acting. Well in a better note I hope this turns out well, more fun games to play or read are gladly welcomed. :sacchan:

I want to be interested, but they said the dirty words. Episodic releases.

Thanks, but no thanks - I already made that mistake with WEE and Fault:Milestones. Not keen on a story dragging out for years - esp. when the content can probably be expected to last the length of a typical demo for other VNs.

I admit I'm making unfair assumptions, but past experiences have left me skeptical.

4 minutes ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

I want to be interested, but they said the dirty words. Episodic releases.

Thanks, but no thanks - I already made that mistake with WEE and Fault:Milestones. Not keen on a story dragging out for years - esp. when the content can probably be expected to last the length of a typical demo for other VNs.

I admit I'm making unfair assumptions, but past experiences have left me skeptical.

The game should have around 10 hours worth of content atm (+-2 hours depending on your reading speed). I completely understand that not releasing a complete and full game can be frustrating when you're reading, and it's IMO a valid reason for not picking up something. I'll simply say that given the nature of how we've been working on the project (on our free time, without budget, and only volunteer work), it would be just unrealistic for us to release our game when it's complete, because there's still so much for us to do. So basically, we didn't have a choice here (whether Lucid9 should have been of a smaller scale to avoid that is another question though).

14 minutes ago, Diamon said:

The game should have around 10 hours worth of content atm (+-2 hours depending on your reading speed). I completely understand that not releasing a complete and full game can be frustrating when you're reading, and it's IMO a valid reason for not picking up something. I'll simply say that given the nature of how we've been working on the project (on our free time, without budget, and only volunteer work), it would be just unrealistic for us to release our game when it's complete, because there's still so much for us to do. So basically, we didn't have a choice here (whether Lucid9 should have been of a smaller scale to avoid that is another question though).

Fair enough, those are understandable decisions. And to be fair, my opinion will hopefully be in the minority - as mine is derived from personal circumstances.

Regardless, I believe in honest work being recognized, and so I hope it does well. :sachi:

Already playing this a little, and it's quite good I think if we just look from the time to start the development until the release of common route (Around 2 years including planning) compared to No One But You (Around half a year only I think), although it might just because the project was done in free time though, but still well done. I think I could not comment much other than MC here sometimes trapped in chunni situation, I need to use internet for one puzzle regarding horse, and most importantly I got my backlog was messed up or not display any writing (Hopefully it will get fixed soon because the narration in this VN was quite unique and obviously I need to reread it ie scroll backlog and yet it only display empty log. But if not maybe it's just my game).

Okay, my suggestion to developer, I think since you got 4 writer for heroine route, hopefully you knew what you should do. But you better make the heroine's route as believable as possible and if possible entertaining of course. Also it should not be rushed here like No One But You. The solution for that should be like Katawa Shoujo, take 2 years more to write heroine route and the rest. Well, I really hope it'll be 2nd coming of Katawa Shoujo.

Sorry if I couldn't write well and like to pressure the developer here. Oh and one more thing, I think Elizabeth with waitress cloth was quite cute.

15 minutes ago, littleshogun said:

Already playing this a little, and it's quite good I think if we just look from the time to start the development until the release of common route (Around 2 years including planning) compared to No One But You (Around half a year only I think), although it might just because the project was done in free time though, but still well done. I think I could not comment much other than MC here sometimes trapped in chunni situation, I need to use internet for one puzzle regarding horse, and most importantly I got my backlog was messed up or not display any writing (Hopefully it will get fixed soon because the narration in this VN was quite unique and obviously I need to reread it ie scroll backlog and yet it only display empty log. But if not maybe it's just my game).

Okay, my suggestion to developer, I think since you got 4 writer for heroine route, hopefully you knew what you should do. But you better make the heroine's route as believable as possible and if possible entertaining of course. Also it should not be rushed here like No One But You. The solution for that should be like Katawa Shoujo, take 2 years more to write heroine route and the rest. Well, I really hope it'll be 2nd coming of Katawa Shoujo.

Sorry if I couldn't write well and like to pressure the developer here. Oh and one more thing, I think Elizabeth with waitress cloth was quite cute.

Could you tell us more exactly when / how you got the backlog bug? You're the first person to have encountered this bug so so far. (if you could provide a screenshot that'd be great!) Also we have released some patch fixes a few minutes ago, maybe that will solve your problem?

Regarding the heroine routes, we are planning to take our time on that to deliver something with the highest quality possible, don't worry! :)

Well, I also want to make a screenshot here but I couldn't. Instead it was like when I was scroll above, and the usual backlog was empty and sometimes there was text above. Well, if you release the patch hopefully it'll fix that. And good to hear that you'll deliver the good heroine route there.

Wew lads. Inciting Incident was a real doozy. Real psychological stuff. Well done.

That said, I think it's a bit too difficult to survive the eponymous "incident". There are so many places to go wrong...

Spoiler

I enjoyed killing Rui a dozen times, though.

...I'm guessing there's not going to be a Rui route, eh?

51 minutes ago, Velociraptor said:

Wew lads. Inciting Incident was a real doozy. Real psychological stuff. Well done.

That said, I think it's a bit too difficult to survive the eponymous "incident". There are so many places to go wrong...

Reveal hidden contents

I enjoyed killing Rui a dozen times, though.

...I'm guessing there's not going to be a Rui route, eh?

That's true, it's pretty difficult to pass the climax, and there aren't necessarily a fair amount of hints regarding which choices you should make.

Spoiler

I think it was pretty fair though, showing that life isn't always as easy as stories portray, where the protagonist always prevails. One wrong move, one wrong guess, one wrong choice, and everything can go south. And no, you won't be collecting lights to revive Rui unfortunately^^

3 minutes ago, Dark_blade64 said:

I didn't get through the whole VN yet but something that has been nagging me is that... Is it just me or the male character except for the ones with lesser roles (teacher, scientist) have better artwork compared to the girls? :huh:

It's a mainly because the male and female sprites are done by two different artists^^ Also Yahiko and Masato's sprites received an update something like 3 months ago, while all of the girl sprites are between 1 and 2 year old.

1 minute ago, Diamon said:

It's a mainly because the male and female sprites are done by two different artists^^ Also Yahiko and Masato's sprites received an update something like 3 months ago, while all of the girl sprites are between 1 and 2 year old.

Will you update the character sprites for the other characters to balance things or will it remain like that? Anyway guys you kinda hit home with the main protagonist. I was almost laughing of how some stuff he said sounded like something I would think in real life. :makina: 

7 minutes ago, Dark_blade64 said:

Will you update the character sprites for the other characters to balance things or will it remain like that? Anyway guys you kinda hit home with the main protagonist. I was almost laughing of how some stuff he said sounded like something I would think in real life. :makina: 

We probably won't have the chance to update the art regarding the girls, for a reason that I can't exactly reveal for the moment, but hopefully you'll understand when the time comes. For some of the male characters, it's possible that we update some of them, can't guarantee though.

Glad that you like reading through Yama's perspective! He's a really human character, despite sometimes coming off as an ass haha

50 minutes ago, Diamon said:

We probably won't have the chance to update the art regarding the girls, for a reason that I can't exactly reveal for the moment, but hopefully you'll understand when the time comes. For some of the male characters, it's possible that we update some of them, can't guarantee though.

Glad that you like reading through Yama's perspective! He's a really human character, despite sometimes coming off as an ass haha

I guess the most reasonable explanation regarding not updating the girls sprites is because it would require to update any CG already done with any of the girls? No need to answer but I'm positive that is the main reason. ;)

I have concluded my initial playthrough of the VN.

As a Visual Novel that promotes itself as being part of the mystery genre, I was quite positive I would enjoy it. The latter trailers advocated a tone shift I had not initially anticipated from the demo, and for me: a most regrettable shift.
Yet, it did not deter me from my merriment. There were many segments I appreciated materially, despite, deeply inside, being aware it would finalise the way it did.

For context, I would be classified as the average moege player, and as such, not be contained in your immediate target zone. Thusly, I shan't complain.

Notwithstanding, here are the various notes I took as I progressed throughout the game, not necessarily in chronological order, presented in their raw, senseless state. At a later date I shall interpret them further:

Spoiler

Akira - Mad because of Rui's unrequited feelings; can't touch -->feelings?; subject of Rui...?; lonely?

Shigure - "pass?" (test); "Remember?" (Airi); Independent Killings; abandons Yama

Masari Inori - uses murders for political agenda

Elizabeth - "She's done far worse"?; Keeps mentioning her (Yama); Works; "mum"; "father" -->[police officer?; might know more (Elizabeth)] <--"Kidnapper"; "exactly like..."; can't music;

City - day 1 (bad feeling); bus crash; police (days 2+); police cars

Misaki - Seto/Satomi (mum); intense?; job?; phone sprite monstrous; street? --> District 6 --> mum; doesn't deserve to be mum (mum); "parental negligence"; father lost job => less miki?

Way Forward pharma - booth: research division

Lemniscate - booth

Yahiko - stoic expression; (trying to be stupid foreshadow); perceptive Rui-Yama; cheered up yama -> chicken fight?; test essay; thinking; familiar Airi; vacation time => doesn't see parents often; tries to help others; "first meeting"; "I know who you are"

Rui & Yama - close; (commenting on each other's comebacks -> annoying - day 1); bus-> memories

Ryouta - Phil (metaphor?); wants to help people: trusts Yama, unlike Shigure; therapist -> murderer?

Masato - money ("cocky") --> street?; not perceptive; "uncalled for" (mad at Yama); suspects Miki; street?; why he's in track -->scholarship; 8 siblings; Mad at yama's apathy?

Rui - friends shadow? - doesn't like classmates; mad at Miki; detour -> blondie; took morning off; "woman's things" excuse

Yama - helps Rui; can't deal with Rui's love; "her"; "list of things Yama can't be"; really bad place after Miki left; depressed before and after Miki; dead people?; father lost job => less miki?; "anyone else" -he was bullied?; (post event:) - "it's like I have someone else in this head of mine; 2 people fighting over my body; suicide attempt; 1st crutch -> sister?; "as if I'm speaking to myself"

Brunette/Natsuki -> Shigure?; interest?; DID? --> [night life; troublemaker] <-- "goose chase"; capable; worried??? -> mad

Frail/Airi - strong/fights?; Shigure?; "Remember?"; dead parents;

failed horse puzzle

Killer - beurocracy, iron gate, schedules -> therapist?
           - disappearing students
           - "expecting someone else" => [kidnapper =/= killer; OR someone she knows] -> therapist?   
           - psychological problems -> therapist?

Emails? - forecast?

1.6 children

hyper fabio brothers - "you fight against a guy who steals peaches"; I see what you did there