Princess Lover...

gholem

There was an attempt at translating it that has been dead for forever now. Something you'll have to learn is that no matter the quality of the VN, most VNs will never be picked up and even if they are, they won't be fully TLed unless it's an official translation and some companies can't even promise that. 

1 hour ago, Fiddle said:

Apparently it's tied for the worst visual novel of the 9001 Clephas has played, which is quite a feat.

At the same time it is ranked 268 out of 18524 on VNDB. However the description and tags give me a hunch that the nukige tag is supposed to be there. Nukige tend to give higher VNDB votes, though the board users tend to hate them. Yorhel (the VNDB creator) stated that at some point. This mean sadly a high score is not always the same as a great VN.

My guess is that nukige is popular with the people using machine translations as it tend to work best with those, or so they claim. At the same time according to MangaGamer's blog, translating H scenes is not a great task for translators. It's more fun to translate actual story text than all those sound effects and mindless dialogue H scenes tend to be full of. This mean the high sexual content (which Princess Lover has) might be attractive to players, but it seems less attractive to translators. A translation takes quite a while, which mean particularly unpaid translators would have to be more than normally interested in a VN in order to translate it. Looks like Princess Lover just can't fire up any translator enough to get him/her started.

3 hours ago, tymmur said:

At the same time according to MangaGamer's blog, translating H scenes is not a great task for translators. It's more fun to translate actual story text than all those sound effects and mindless dialogue H scenes tend to be full of. This mean the high sexual content (which Princess Lover has) might be attractive to players, but it seems less attractive to translators. A translation takes quite a while, which mean particularly unpaid translators would have to be more than normally interested in a VN in order to translate it. Looks like Princess Lover just can't fire up any translator enough to get him/her started.

This is spot on. I'm torn with respect to H scenes since I don't care for VNs that don't have H scenes, so I will only translate ones that do, yet ironically translating the H scenes themselves often becomes the most irksome part of the translation for the reasons tymmur said above.

3 hours ago, tymmur said:

At the same time it is ranked 268 out of 18524 on VNDB. However the description and tags give me a hunch that the nukige tag is supposed to be there. Nukige tend to give higher VNDB votes, though the board users tend to hate them. Yorhel (the VNDB creator) stated that at some point. This mean sadly a high score is not always the same as a great VN.

From what I recall about the developer's most popular game, Walkure Romanze, it's got a crap ton of h-scenes, and it pretty much does turn into a nukige by the end of every route. But they also still try to do typical charage-style storytelling at the same time. 

13 hours ago, Asonn said:

Yes. 

because it is a really shit game and there are a lot of better games.

No.

No

Well, shit game might be true, but it is also one of the developer's biggest success, is it not? And honestly, this one is not made for its story, but for its H scenes...

16 hours ago, gholem said:

Well, shit game might be true, but it is also one of the developer's biggest success, is it not? And honestly, this one is not made for its story, but for its H scenes...

The developer has only made two full VNs and Princess Lover was the less popular of the two, overshadowed by Walkure Romanze. Which also never received a translation. Translation is extremely time consuming work and the scene is badly lacking in capable translators. Don't expect every half-decent VN to get translated. I wouldn't be surprised if Princess Lover never sees an English release ever.

3 hours ago, Decay said:

The developer has only made two full VNs and Princess Lover was the less popular of the two, overshadowed by Walkure Romanze. Which also never received a translation. Translation is extremely time consuming work and the scene is badly lacking in capable translators. Don't expect every half-decent VN to get translated. I wouldn't be surprised if Princess Lover never sees an English release ever.

Are you sure it's been "overshadowed" by Walkure Romanze? It received TVA and OVAs, I mean, Walkure Romanze, I believe is their recent work, so I don't think overshadowed is the right term there. Also, isn't there a team working on Walkure Romanze?

2 hours ago, gholem said:

Are you sure it's been "overshadowed" by Walkure Romanze? It received TVA and OVAs, I mean, Walkure Romanze, I believe is their recent work, so I don't think overshadowed is the right term there. Also, isn't there a team working on Walkure Romanze?

Walkure Romanze has received a fandisc and a semi-sequel/second fandisc, on top of its own anime. Everything out of Ricotta seems to be about Walkure Romanze. Princess Lover never received any additional content besides the anime tie-ins.

Anyways, the Walkure Romanze translation project has been completely dead for a long time, and apparently a lot of the work they did do was of pretty low quality, anyways.