Jump to content

Site Work Failed, But We Didn't Die

Ugh. Still more roadblocks. Need to get an as-yet unknown password from Nay in order to get this sucker changed. For now, please enjoy the mess of a forums we've got, and dream of the forums we will probably never one day have.

< 3 - Tay

You can dismiss this alert by clicking on the "X" button

Hackrabbits

Program for breaking down Kanji in real-time for VNs

Recommended Posts

To all those who read untranslated VNs: For reference, what programs do you all use for word wrapping while reading VNs? I'm not talking about something that translates using machine translation, but rather just a program that breaks down kanji w/little notes above it in hiragana. I've seen a lot of screen shots the past year on the forums here in translation threads (and twitters of VN readers who read untranslated VNs). If it is actually a feature from the same programs as the machine translation programs, then which one specifically?

I would be grateful to like any post for any help! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a decent guide to this on these forums:

There are more programs than it lists (ITHVNR and Chiitrans would be the main interesting ones, potentially also VNR), but the guide is decent. I think one of the links moved places and the new site is in japanese making the download harder to find, but it should be findable if you CTRL+F ダウンロード.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like everyone else, I use an Interactive Text Hooker (ITH) to extract the text from the VN then use a Translation Aggregator (TA). In the TA I generally only have 3 of the following on screen: Original Text, Mecab which adds furigana above the Kanji and JParser to group the words together on how their suppose to be read. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DarkZedge said:

I currently use ChiiTrans + Atlas though I'm looking into getting another one was recommended AGHT? or something of the like, sorry if I get the name wrong...still fairly new to this anything other than Chitrans

if you only use chiitrans to display the translation of ATLAS or LEC you can also use nextOSD someday i will make a tutorial for it although it's pretty simple to use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Deep Blue said:

if you only use chiitrans to display the translation of ATLAS or LEC you can also use nextOSD someday i will make a tutorial for it although it's pretty simple to use.

Do you know how can I make ChiiTrans's translation more accurate? I mean i've added more words to Atlas but there are still some which it doesn't know and some sentences don't even attempt to make sense...others are alright and can be understood mostly.

NextOSD? I'll check that out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DarkZedge said:

Do you know how can I make ChiiTrans's translation more accurate? I mean i've added more words to Atlas but there are still some which it doesn't know and some sentences don't even attempt to make sense...others are alright and can be understood mostly.

NextOSD? I'll check that out

You can ask sanahtlig, he knows a lot more than I do about machine translation, to be honest I hardly use any, I use chiitrans for the way it display the text and how the parser works(for looking up kanji and the furigana) other than that I don't use anything else. But if I remember right there is a way to add words and names (I think I included them in my tutorial too) which I think you already did already.
One last thing, ATLAS, LEC or any other machina translator is not perfect, if you see that is not translating the text correctly use another one, for example chiitrans uses google, bing etc use it from time to time when you have those untranslated sentences that ATLAs doesnt know how to translate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Deep Blue said:

You can ask sanahtlig, he knows a lot more than I do about machine translation, to be honest I hardly use any, I use chiitrans for the way it display the text and how the parser works(for looking up kanji and the furigana) other than that I don't use anything else. But if I remember right there is a way to add words and names (I think I included them in my tutorial too) which I think you already did already.
One last thing, ATLAS, LEC or any other machina translator is not perfect, if you see that is not translating the text correctly use another one, for example chiitrans uses google, bing etc use it from time to time when you have those untranslated sentences that ATLAs doesnt know how to translate.

Oh thanks, I'll ask him but still thanks for the tips Blue :sachi:

Btw I downloaded NextOSD, is it simple to set up? for now I just have the three parts I'm supposed to have from their site but haven't set it up yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DarkZedge said:

Oh thanks, I'll ask him but still thanks for the tips Blue :sachi:

Btw I downloaded NextOSD, is it simple to set up? for now I just have the three parts I'm supposed to have from their site but haven't set it up yet

just download the one called nextOSD.rar once you unpack the file, just run the exe (it already comes with the dictionaries and everything) you need to hook the text with ith or some text hooker and it will do the job automatically, it basically auto-grabs the text from ith and translate it, you dont need to do anything but if you want to set it up a bit right click on the box screen and you can do it, it's really easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×