Impulse! Review Thread

Valmore

New West Games has offered up its second visual novel, Impulse!, following a band making its way into the cut-throat world of the Seattle music scene. You can read the review from the link below.

Impulse!-ive Review

Questions, threats, telling me I'm a dork for my lame nicknames can all be directed here. :sachi:

Special thanks to Flutterz for soldiering through the long review.

1 minute ago, Silvz said:

Sometimes I feel FuwaReviwers are too harsh to OELVNers [which I think it is the case of Impulse!]

However everytime I see Valmore I think he/she is nice, so I won't take the 6/10 too seriously haha

The other side of the coin is that people are still salty most OELVNs reviewed are scored higher than a certain Key game Bats played ... heh.

Quality review Valmore (even though I skipped most of it and just read the pros and cons section ... kidding, kidding) :P 

Just now, Rooke said:

The other side of the coin is that people are still salty most OELVNs reviewed are scored higher than a certain Key game Bats played ... heh.

Quality review Valmore (even though I skipped most of it and just read the pros and cons section ... kidding, kidding) :P 

Sometimes some people review games very biasedly, right? Which was not the case of some review from someone from Fuwazette, of course

1 minute ago, Silvz said:

Sometimes some people review games very biasedly, right? Which was not the case of some review from someone from Fuwazette, of course

Well, if you're talking about Bats' Little Busters review, I agreed with it actually. It incorporates some bad writing which can have a negative effect on some people. People who can stomach certain things will score it higher, people who can't will score it lower. You can't objectively score these things and give a different grade for different groups of people, that will just lead to absurd practices.

9 minutes ago, Rooke said:

Well, if you're talking about Bats' Little Busters review, I agreed with it actually. It incorporates some bad writing which can have a negative effect on some people. People who can stomach certain things will score it higher, people who can't will score it lower. You can't objectively score these things and give a different grade for different groups of people, that will just lead to absurd practices.

I'm talking about every review, actually. Of course LB! was too low-scored to a so praised game [which I still haven't read, so take this as just an overview]. The problem is some people, not just Solid, take their opinions pretty highly and don't take the whole thing as it is: a VN, with artists, a writer, a story to tell, writing style, etc. That should be important in reviewing, not just "I didn't like it 1/10". People are biased in general, I am too [a lot with Pokémon, for example] so I don't blame them. But it is not uncommon, not only on Fuwa, to see something like "I prefer books, score: 0" or things like that.

Using pokémon again, did you see the whole joking about the 7.8 Too much water? This clearly shows in a big scale [since a lot of people got to comment this, and a lot could actually discuss the problems with reviewing] that sometimes reviewers don't really care about the "why" from the VN, the game, the book and focus only on getting their opinions shout.

Edit: I don't think Key's writing, in general, is bad. I don't know it in japanese, though, so the translations have a big role for me. However, it should be taken in account all the other points of it, just like story, characters, art, soundtrack, etc, which I can't even believe it would be honestly reviewd with a 2/10 score. Again, I did not read Little Busters, but although it can really be really bad [which I doubt, actually], I don't think 2 is fair considering it is not only done by bad writing.

6 minutes ago, Silvz said:

Using pokémon again, did you see the whole joking about the 7.8 Too much water? This clearly shows in a big scale [since a lot of people got to comment this, and a lot could actually discuss the problems with reviewing] that sometimes reviewers don't really care about the "why" from the VN, the game, the book and focus only on getting their opinions shout.

Nah sorry, I missed that. I don't usually read reviews. What happened? EDIT: Actually PM me what happened, otherwise the thread will get too off-topic :P 

5 minutes ago, Rooke said:

Nah sorry, I missed that. I don't usually read reviews. What happened?

Basically Ign had a review on Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Saphire, which are remakes from Ruby and Saphire for 3DS. Then, after a somewhat good review, they give a 7.8 score and on the cons they have "Too much water". However, as some may know, Pokémon Ruby and Saphire are all about two pokémon/teams fighting to rule over the world through land and ocean, according to each version. And the whole continent is based on beaches, oceans, and stuff.

So, they complain about too much water in game which its intention IS to have too much water.  It is like saying that Steins Gate has too much science.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/18/pokemon-alpha-sapphire-and-omega-ruby-review

5 hours ago, Silvz said:

Sometimes I feel FuwaReviwers are too harsh to OELVNers [which I think it is the case of Impulse!]

However everytime I see Valmore I think he/she is nice, so I won't take the 6/10 too seriously haha

This is kind of a tough thing, and to be honest, if I could go and not give a number score, I would do that. I wanted to give more of an assessment as to how the game was compared to the relative newness of the publisher and if there's merit in the product as well as potential future products from said publisher. Which is why I spent more words on it than your average FUWA review, to give it a more personal take as to what I thought was good and what could be improved, as well as compared to some other newer indie novels I've read (though not mentioned in the review). In that, I'd hope the publisher takes more of the words to heart and not the number score - I mean, if I gave the number score only based on how it plays compared to every other VN out there, I couldn't honestly give it higher than a 6 - it's clearly not as polished as other VNs you'd find on the review page, so giving it a higher number would do both Impulse! and other visual novels a disservice. But I also don't want to compare it too much against those high-ranking novels, because it's not an established publisher - it's NWG's second attempt, after all. I can't expect it to be Steins:Gate - it's one guy who likely got help from some friends for the voice acting. So I felt, in having to give it a number score, a 6 felt about right - it's a higher-end score for the scale being used as compared to what's been reviewed before under the system. If we were to break our number systems by say, one each for indie and established, I'd probably give a 7.5-8 to Impulse, higher if some of the basic technical parts were addressed in an updated release.

I mean, the only thing I really ripped was the one piece of art with the van. Everything else I found at least some merit in, even if it wasn't great overall. Which brought me to the final paragraph, which I feel is the most important of all - "Would I want to read another offering from New West Games based on reading Impulse?" And I would - I think Kieran has a good knack for story pacing, has some interesting concepts in gameplay that could be fleshed out with practice (or getting some crew) and anything I felt wasn't up to spec is completely within his power to get better at, and I'd like to see that effort. If he were to use any part of my reviews to sell people on his game, I'd say it would be better to use that as opposed to the 6/10.

He was serious about his next VN being about girls volleyball, by the way. :makina: I'm looking forward to it.