Frontwing announces the next VN they're localizing, and it's... Sharin no Kuni?

Decay

https://twitter.com/sfgp0408

Yeah, this is some of the weirder VN news of late. Front Wing is getting into the third party localization game, it seems. Sharin no Kuni getting an official release was a bit of an open secret, pretty much everyone knew about it to some extent. But everyone expected the one to bring it to us to be Sekai Project.

Frontwing is planning a kickstarter, it seems. Much to some people's befuddlement. Maybe they'll actually bother retranslating it? Moogy, the old translation's editor, was saying that it needed one before getting officially released, so who knows, maybe that's why they need kickstarter money.

>mfw you beat me to the punch by under a minute

I actually don't really know what to think.  I remain skeptical that they actually have the ability to to a good TL, and looking at their previous business tactics (a la fucking over SP to get some money rather than wait, like they agreed to), I have no real optimistic feelings about anything they do in the future.  I also fully expect them to just re-use ixrec's the existing TL after paying those responsible for it, but that's just a hunch from a cynical person  :sachi:

I honestly don't really care what they do.  I plan on re-reading SnK in the future in Japanese anyway.

3 minutes ago, Zenophilious said:

>mfw you beat me to the punch by under a minute

I actually don't really know what to think.  I remain skeptical that they actually have the ability to to a good TL, and looking at their previous business tactics (a la fucking over SP to get some money rather than wait, like they agreed to), I have no real optimistic feelings about anything they do in the future.  I also fully expect them to just re-use ixrec's TL after paying him, but that's just a hunch from a cynical person  :sachi:

I honestly don't really care what they do.  I plan on re-reading SnK in the future in Japanese anyway.

Ixrec didn't translate this. 

1 minute ago, Deep Blue said:

Front wing used Sekai Project to localize the Grisaia trilogy but now they are localizing Akabei Soft's visual novel...and that company already relied on Sekai Project to localize G-senjou no Maou.
Seems like everyone is trying to avoid Sekai Project here.

It's amusing how people hold different companies to different standards. End of the day, localisation wise, in every aspect, Frontwing is as bad or worse than Sekai Project. People shouldn't be happy about this, yet they are because ...

Perhaps the avoidance of sekai project is because of their uncaring attitude towards adult games which is what people quite obviously want. I can hope that's the case anyway. I have no intent to support this game unless it gets a proper release 18+ content included (be that patch or otherwise) as I simply am fed up with games releasing with censorship. I'm still extremely skeptical of frontwing because of the way they handled the chirchiru game (which I still haven't gotten).

Just now, Rooke said:

It's amusing how people hold different companies to different standards. End of the day, localisation wise, in every aspect, Frontwing is as bad or worse than Sekai Project. People shouldn't be happy about this, yet they are because ...

I dont' know how anyone can be happy or sad about this without knowing anything regarding front wing as a company to localize visual novels :wacko:

1 minute ago, kyrt said:

Perhaps the avoidance of sekai project is because of their uncaring attitude towards adult games which is what people quite obviously want. I can hope that's the case anyway. I have no intent to support this game unless it gets a proper release 18+ content included (be that patch or otherwise) as I simply am fed up with games releasing with censorship. I'm still extremely skeptical of frontwing because of the way they handled the chirchiru game (which I still haven't gotten).

You can almost guarantee that an 18+ release won't happen, and that Japanese companies actually don't give a shit if only all-ages versions of their titles are released in the west.

In sharin no kuni's case, the h-scenes are so completely superfluous that the VN is most probably better without them.

1 minute ago, Deep Blue said:

I dont' know how anyone can be happy or sad about this without knowing anything regarding front wing as a company to localize visual novels :wacko:

They've already released a localised VN, if you recall. Also, according to Herkz Frontwing is just using the already existing fan-tl for this.

2 minutes ago, Rooke said:

They've already released a localised VN, if you recall. Also, according to Herkz Frontwing is just using the already existing fan-tl for this.

Maybe they're using the fan TL, I wouldn't be surprised, but herkz tends to run his mouth off and makes these kinds of proclamations with only tiny snippets of information. It seems Frontwing is already set on combating rumors. 

Of course, they offer no information in return. It's a crapshoot.

3 minutes ago, kyrt said:

Uh, you do know that Akabeisoft is the one who didn't want an 18+ version? Either way, I'm a bit curious as to why they decided to drop Sekai. Maybe they actually wanted to kickstart G-Senjou, but Sekai didn't? Now that'd be a funny story. 

Just now, Deep Blue said:

Do you mean chiruchiru? didn't sekai also worked on that one? 

Frontwing went behind Koestl and Sekai's back to distribute a fan-TL which was already completed. It pissed off Koestl because he thought the TL was dodgy, Sekai washed their hands of it, and TLWiki said they may release a TL patch at a later date.

3 minutes ago, Rooke said:

Frontwing went behind Koestl and Sekai's back to distribute a fan-TL which was already completed. It pissed off Koestl because he thought the TL was dodgy, Sekai washed their hands of it, and TLWiki said they may release a TL patch at a later date.

Which, in retrospect, this probably played a part in FW dropping SP, because SP openly supported koestl's team in their desire to release an alternative translation.

2 minutes ago, Nashetania said:

Why would they bother re-translating it? Why not just pick completely different VN to translate?

Because this VN already has a positive reputation and that better reputation could lead to better sales. Also, because ABS2 really wants G-Senjou and SnK released before releasing anything of theirs that's newer, for whatever reason.

I find this hilarious. Japan gets an English localization group to allow a popular VN to be sold outside of the country, then turns it around and makes their own localization group for an outside market knowing that most Japanese groups will stick to them since they know the industry on a local level. Classic Japanese otaku market money grab if you ask me. Sunrise did the same thing with Love Live (and those Panama Papers), so none of this surprises me one bit.

On the other hand, the concept of "Japan Sales Only" is slowly becoming more and more lenient, so I do respect the country for that at least. Now if only Japan can see that Blu-ray sales at 6,000 yen a volume for 3 episodes need to stop and paid services for anime need to become a thing...