Noble☆Works Review Discussion Thread

Valmore

So yeah, this was the VN I had finished last when @solidbatmanwas looking for more reviewers. It's more polished.

Review is up!

Feel free to discuss, ask questions, pour :salt: on me. Etc.

Just remember who's watching your every move, though.

Spoiler

4758-227889511.jpg

Overall, great translation of a piece that does do the best of what you typically expect from the genre.

Before trying to analysis your review, I'd had 2 thing to said (The cliche and non-cliche one). For the cliche thing good review, and for non-cliche thing your avatar compared to Rider one was quite cute.

For serious thing, the first thing I started the discussion of this game here my expectation after saw Aedes review on NW was not much, so of course I didn't expect much. And back at December VNDB score was around 7. Since the premise was not ground breaking here and I kind of expecting the heroine was stereotypical one, so I change my attention to heroine's seiyuu (And I agree with you regarding if you play or read Evangile spoiler, of course you should know what to expected from NW heroine's considering almost same setting). And for the seiyuu, yes they got quite a nice list of the role for each heroine seiyuu. I mean they got name like Nabatame Hitomi (As Kunihiro Hinata or if you want MC best friend kouhai) and Ryouko Ono (As Tsukiyama Sena or overly-kind student maid) for voicing heroines here for example.

Since you mention 3 best side character, I think for Kotetsu he was quite loyal to Mana, but he'll try to help MC. For the seiyuu, the name was Tasuhisa Suzuki who his role list was supporting character in some anime according to wiki. For Makoto, I just know that if some people already played Dracu Riot and saw Makoto, they will probably reminded them of some certain Russian silver haired girl from there (Same seiyuu (Ai Shimizu) and same pervert joke was obviously playing factor there). Chiaki, I think the maid could also become 2nd woman at Kanemoto conglomerate, considering that she also act as Izumi's secretary and I think it's quite interesting that we had secretary with maid clothing (The seiyuu was Imuraya Honoka, who play Rain in Baldr Sky duology and Gilgamesh in Eiyuu Senki).

I think for the story, since I saw Aedes review I was expected like that you said in con segment (I mean Aedes was only give score 65 for this). For the feature of sprite viewer, I think last VN that where I found this feature before Noble Works was Shuffle. Also another feature here was each heroine had image song, and for heroine's leitmotif Yuzusoft using instrumental version of each heroine image song. I'd think as for heroine image song, Shizuru was the best between those 5 image song.

Okay, once again good review from you and I just try to elaborate from con here. Maybe I'd not write well enough, but my suggestion here if some of the reader here want to read this, just expect light charage and don't expect the ground breaking story here or heavy character drama.

26 minutes ago, Tyrael said:

This is insanely overrated. Routes felt like they were strung out for way too long, the main girls were rather meh and the overarching plot is laughable. On the other hand, we have cute girls doing cute things. Hmm.

Great review tho

Maybe. I mean, it's high-quality in most aspects. But the mains were definitely not the best attraction - frankly a route with Nagasone Kotetsu would have been awesome, get some awkward bro-love in there. Most overarching plots are pretty laughable when it comes to these types of works. For what it is I figured an 8 is solid enough. I mean, I can't trash something when in principle I did enjoy the work and most of it is high quality.

48 minutes ago, Tyrael said:

This is insanely overrated. Routes felt like they were strung out for way too long, the main girls were rather meh and the overarching plot is laughable. On the other hand, we have cute girls doing cute things. Hmm.

Great review tho

Assuming it's up for debate (or at least up for salt), we should probably have a thread elsewhere to talk about the merits of putting numbers on Fuwa Reviews. I would certainly have things to say about that. But I don't want to hijack Valmore's review's thread.

Good review, thanks, Valmore.

One additional thing that I would find useful is info about the mechanics of routes. That's one thing that's always a mystery for me going into a new VN, since it seems like every game does it at least a little bit differently, and sometimes the departure is radical. Sometimes things are straightforward (Princess Evangile; Majikoi), and sometimes things are not (Katawa Shoujo; Steins;Gate; Clannad). Sometimes the straightforwardness is off-putting (PE), and sometimes it is not (Majikoi). Sometimes the confusion is annoying as hell and mandates a guide (Katawa Shoujo; Clannad), and sometimes it is only somewhat annoying (Steins;Gate is mostly fine). And sometimes the structure and choices are not overly obvious, but work very naturally anyway (G-Senjou). These days, after getting burned enough times by the confusing ones (so many times seeing the Dead End in Katawa Shoujo, and so much salt about the true end in Steins;Gate...), I kind of like to know up-front.

Anyway, other than that one little thing, the review told me everything I needed to know.

Not a bad point - it was pretty frustrating in Princess Evangile that if you even deviated once from a chosen heroine you got the "Black Screen of No Girl" ending. Which is basically the same principle with NW - you have to make the most logical choices for a single heroine as you go through the common route or at the end of the "Shuri Recovery Period" you go home with no waifu. However, the choices aren't always as straightforward like PE (where each choice gave one for all 4 names listed right in front of you and you simply clicked the one with you chosen girl's name). This one there's some guesswork into the personality of each girl and you have to match up the choice you read to the girl you want (and sometimes there isn't choice for your girl so you just pick whatever). If you get frustrated there's a good detailed walkthrough over on the FuwaWalkthrough board.

57 minutes ago, Valmore said:

Not a bad point - it was pretty frustrating in Princess Evangile that if you even deviated once from a chosen heroine you got the "Black Screen of No Girl" ending. Which is basically the same principle with NW - you have to make the most logical choices for a single heroine as you go through the common route or at the end of the "Shuri Recovery Period" you go home with no waifu. However, the choices aren't always as straightforward like PE (where each choice gave one for all 4 names listed right in front of you and you simply clicked the one with you chosen girl's name). This one there's some guesswork into the personality of each girl and you have to match up the choice you read to the girl you want (and sometimes there isn't choice for your girl so you just pick whatever). If you get frustrated there's a good detailed walkthrough over on the FuwaWalkthrough board.

Cool, thanks for answering my implicit question. That sounds more my speed, actually - the way PE's choices were presented was actually really off-putting. Apparently I have some mental minimum bar for how immersive choices need to be, which PE didn't meet, but Noble☆Works apparently would.