How to make a video game

kazameltis

I'm not too well versed in this, but I supposed you would at least need a programmer, an artist, a level designer, a scenario writer, and someone in charge of promoting your game, perhaps...

You could just look at the credits for Doom. If applied to today's standards, it's pretty much an indie game (and really, the guys over at Id really were a bunch of dudes with nothing to do and who really liked video games).

I want to ask what would be the roles and purpose of members if you were to make a game?

And how would the sequence go? I wish to understand how making games works

you're not really clear on what kind of game. 3D? VN? action? hack and slash? professional setting or indie or for fun/whatever?

some of the jobs may be mixed together depending on the type, or split apart

Artists (Concept, 3D/2D/whatever, character/environment artist, Technical, Texture, ...)

Developer (Programmer, Network/Graphics/..., AI, may also be split into which programming language or tool like C++/C/Python/Unity3D, or platform like Windows/iOS/Android)

Designer (Game Writer, UX, Story, etc)

Project Lead (Product manager, Producer)

Server Admin (mmos?)

QA

I would say for a basic game you need:

Idea - Easy enough to get

Programmer/Developer - To make the game

Graphics - Something to see

Audio - Something to hear

Probably need more as the game gets more complicated

No reason a single person can't do all of this. See Blendo Games who made Gravity Bone and Atom Zombie Smasher.

I would say for a basic game you need:

Idea - Easy enough to get

Programmer/Developer - To make the game

Graphics - Something to see

Audio - Something to hear

Probably need more as the game gets more complicated

No reason a single person can't do all of this. See Blendo Games who made Gravity Bone and Atom Zombie Smasher.

Let's not forget Cave Story.

there's not much of a sequence but...

First you should draft out all the ideas you have. Think about how the main menu would look. Think about what buttons to use. Think about the game's theme. And if possible, start figuring out how the loops and algorithms should work.

Next, start coding. Begin with a prototype, then improve its usability. Make sure that the game feels good (how objects react to input). Then, start optimizing your code. Look for unnecessary arithmetics. Try to make use of the engine's built in features.

Next, make decent graphics. Start replacing cubes with decent 3D models. Add animations to the characters and environment. Make the game look good and organized. Remember though that it's fundamental to keep your code intact so you don't break stuff. We all hate debugging, don't we?

Next, the levels. Create levels for your game (if it has levels, of course). Set a specific minimum amount of levels. Once you reach that certain number, you're good to go.

Next, polish the graphics. Check for weird pixels on textures. Check for weird character animations. Make the game look perfect -- it's what makes your game playable. Also, add sounds and background music.

Finally, test your game. List all the problems and issues you encounter. Add levels if necessary.

Having a team helps speed up the process. Especially when you have people specializing on specific areas.

I am an IT student and Katawa Shoujo is a Python game. Basically you need to draw the characters in a VN. Things like Bamboo Manga I guess will be very useful. Then you program everything in python. I guess that is what you need. :D