So, who else hates travelling for vacation?

Fred the Barber

I'm in the middle of a glorious three months off, but I decided I had to travel somewhere, so that when I start my new job and everybody asks, "Oh, where did you go," I won't have to answer, "nowhere...". Note that they definitely won't ask, "did you go anywhere" - the phrasing will imply that of course I went somewhere, because who in their right mind would take off 3 months just to enjoy catching up on reading and gaming? Well, me, but that's beside the point.

Anyway, thought I'd start a thread to see if:

• people commiserate with my general dislike for travel (though it's really just the stress and uncertainty - I usually enjoy myself well enough once I'm settled in)
  • anybody is interested in regular reports on what I see and do while I'm in London (arbitrary destination where I won't be nervous about a language barrier, go!)

If the latter holds, I may log on periodically here to post about whatever happens. But beware that it'll probably just be me gushing about art museums most of the time, since art museum visits make up the bulk of my plans right now (but fuck the Tate Modern, I'm not going there - modern art can do light itself on fire for all I care; actually it probably already did that, and people probably talked about how great it was while I rolled my eyes).

Yes, hate the travelling component so much that I probably would never go on a trip anywhere if my wife didn't plan our holidays. I made special exceptions for getting to Japan though and put up with the travel.

You sure your American won't clash with the English language? /troll

I went to the Louvre in Paris once and it was amazing, but I don't know how to "talk" about going to an art museum otherwise. Maybe you're different since you do presentations and such?

I usually dislike plane rides, especially long ones, but I haven't had anything really too uncomfortable for a while now, also it would be interesting to listen to the events, you'v got a long time off, something funs bound to happen, during last winter break, I only went traveling for like 15 days, and a ton of stuff happened, so hopefully you have quite the eventful trip and share the stories with us.

I love travelling. I hate moving, had my fill of that as an Air-Force kid, getting shipped around every couple of years. But travelling around is something I don't mind.

13 minutes ago, ittaku said:

You sure your American won't clash with the English language? /troll

Only on a colossal scale *hohoho*

Prepare for much mockery and finger pointing, a good portion of which will be indecipherable cause it’ll be in cockney rhyming slang.

Just now, sub-zer0 said:

I usually dislike plane rides, especially long ones, but I haven't had anything really too uncomfortable for a while now, also it would be interesting to listen to the events, you'v got a long time off, something funs bound to happen, during last winter break, I only went traveling for like 15 days, and a ton of stuff happened, so hopefully you have quite the eventful trip and share the stories with us.

Ahh, let me clarify: I'm only going to be there for about a week. The remainder of my three months off has been or will be spent catching up on reading and gaming, as desired.

12 minutes ago, ittaku said:

I went to the Louvre in Paris once and it was amazing, but I don't know how to "talk" about going to an art museum otherwise. Maybe you're different since you do presentations and such?

I probably won't have anything intelligent to say about it, really. :miyako: I definitely have more than your average person's knowledge of art history, but nothing to compare to an actual artist, or even to anybody with, say, an art history minor.

2 minutes ago, Flutterz said:

Travelling is nice, but I don't like doing it alone, reason being I'm lazy and prefer to sit in the comfort of my house so if I go alone I'll probably just spend the vast majority of my time indoors paying ridiculous amounts for the wifi.

This is a valid point - it's probably the fact that I'm traveling alone that makes me the most nervous about it. But I've done it before and gotten by. I should really work on getting one of those relationship things one of these days, though...

I'm leaving for the airport in about an hour and pretty much just trying to kill time to avoid getting even more wound up, at the moment.

If I'm with someone I usually have a better time when I travel somewhere.

Like, I'm fundamentally a shut in, but I've learned to appreciate some time off of my computer when traveling. Maybe you'll feel the same way on your one week trip. I used to feel very much like you when I had to go somewhere. "Why do I need to go through all this hassle!". But it might actually be a nice experience if you're open minded.

I actually love travelling. I love the journey there, and seeing the world pass by as I go into places I've never been before. I love going to new places, especially if they're areas of natural beauty, and I also love that sensation of returning home, no matter how good a time it's been.

I live only an hour or so from London, so it'd be interesting to see how an American finds it (even if it will be mostly gushing over museums, which tbf there is nothing wrong with at all).

I think you should go to the Tate Modern all the same, and let us know how much you hate it in as much hilarious detail as you can muster :illya:

1 hour ago, Fred the Barber said:

I'm in the middle of a glorious three months off, but I decided I had to travel somewhere, so that when I start my new job and everybody asks, "Oh, where did you go," I won't have to answer, "nowhere...". Note that they definitely won't ask, "did you go anywhere" - the phrasing will imply that of course I went somewhere, because who in their right mind would take off 3 months just to enjoy catching up on reading and gaming? Well, me, but that's beside the point.

Anyway, thought I'd start a thread to see if:

• people commiserate with my general dislike for travel (though it's really just the stress and uncertainty - I usually enjoy myself well enough once I'm settled in)
  • anybody is interested in regular reports on what I see and do while I'm in London (arbitrary destination where I won't be nervous about a language barrier, go!)

If the latter holds, I may log on periodically here to post about whatever happens. But beware that it'll probably just be me gushing about art museums most of the time, since art museum visits make up the bulk of my plans right now (but fuck the Tate Modern, I'm not going there - modern art can do light itself on fire for all I care; actually it probably already did that, and people probably talked about how great it was while I rolled my eyes).

I actually love the travelling component, more so if I'm the one driving (obviously not flying, though, as I'm not a pilot). What I hate about traveling is not sleeping in my own bed. I have a hard time sleeping in unfamiliar places. I usually have to take something to knock myself out for decent sleep away from home.

And I'd love to see pics of London.

27 minutes ago, Valmore said:

I actually love the travelling component, more so if I'm the one driving (obviously not flying, though, as I'm not a pilot).

Have to agree there, I actually do rather like traveling by driving, and I usually handle the driving myself (which I usually do "in exchange" for getting to pick the music; a win-win for me!). I've done a couple day trips up to Vancouver, once with friends and once for business. It's a pleasant drive, especially when the weather is good. Frankly, given the beautiful weather in Seattle right now, that's probably what I ought to be doing instead of going to London, where it's looking to be a rather rainy week. But I don't know that I'd want to do a really long road trip. A nice 3-4 hour drive is about right. Reminds me that I also need to hit up Portland one of these days, since it's well within that range...

Yeah, I don't particularly like travelling for the sake of travelling, if I could I would stay home and catch up on games, anime and etc like you said. 

But I do think once you get there and start looking around you will start to enjoy yourself more, at least more so before the journey. 

I actually don't hate to trip in fact traveling (in a car) it is pretty fun for me ... but at the end of the day I want to be in my house with my pc on my bedroom and sleep in my bed with my freaking pillow and covers! Yes, it sounds silly but it's not the same for me I just can't sleep in some stranger's bed.

Nope, traveling, especially by flying, is the best, though I prefer my car rides to be shorter.

Knowing I get to stay and see someplace else is enough to cause me to relax, and I sleep better in other peoples' or hotel beds than my own. Lots of time for thinking and listening to music as well, something I'm not able to do with my social and work life and my generally packed schedule.

1. Do not like long flights
2. Have too few time (max 1 week) of free time a year
3. Generally like to see old gothic architecture and nature like wast savannah, tall mountains (obv when mountaineering), green forests...
4. Because I have very short period to enjoy vacation - this have to be done fast, so I do not have time to mind bed covers :) But travels do exaust me and I am very glad to see my olde home again. Probably one of the best things is that "homecoming" feel.

Well there are several large cities I would want to visit; Shanghai, Seoul, Tokyo, Paris, Brussels and Seattle. I wouldn't say I hate travelling, its more of a fear of being around people I don't know. Earlier in life I enjoyed travelling but currently in my hiki lifestyle I get anxious thinking about going to the supermarket so there's no way I'd get on a plane and go to another part of the world.

I don't like waking up in the morning real early like my family does every time we go on vacation.

4am: "CATSOUL WE GOTTA GO"

Is the hotel going to combust if we leave at a rational time? It's not like we're really gonna do anything our first night.

Alright, I am here. And tired. Long plane flights suck. I have so far only noticed one thing that I forgot to pack (toothpaste... I put it away out of habit, instead of into my luggage), and that was quickly remedied, so I'm fairly comfortably ensconced in my hotel now.

I haven't really started planning out a schedule, but one thing caught my eye and one thing I had in mind before I came here, so I have plans for the next couple days already:

• I randomly saw an advertisement for a Botticelli exhibition at a museum walking distance from my hotel. Botticelli is the man; I am visiting the shit out of that exhibition tomorrow.
  • That'll probably take about half the day, so I'll probably hit up the National Gallery for the remainder of the day tomorrow.
  • The Royal Shakespeare Company is putting on a production of Hamlet over at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre in Stratford-upon-Avon; hell yes. Opening night is tonight, actually, so there weren't a lot of tickets available in general, but I got a pretty good box seat for Thursday's matinee. This will be my fifth time seeing an RSC production; they're always indescribably good. I am very excited. Also, I get to figure out how to use trains to get there; yay?