The panamas papers 2.6 TB DATA LEAKED

Kawasumi

So I woke up to this announcement, apparently a lot of money from a lot of rich/famous and other influential peoples have been going through a law firm in Panama.

This leak is the biggest leak yet and could come with a lot of disturbing news from all over the world.

People with a lot of money tend to do tax evasion, nothing new there. But I cant help to be excited when stuff like this gets revealed

http://panamapapers.sueddeutsche.de/articles/56febff0a1bb8d3c3495adf4/

This papers essentially confirm what everyone already knew for ages, and now there's no hiding it.

I'm actually more surprised so many journalists managed to keep this under wraps and release everything simultaneously for the world to see. Makes me have hope for real journalism.

Grab your popcorns boys, the drama is about to be real.

Governments have been pretending to fight against tax fraud and evasion and not actually doing anything for ages but with such an avalanche of evidence we can hope for some concrete action.

I wonder if wikileaks will release the whole raw documents. Even criminals have a right to private life but people have already pointed out the disturbingly low amount of people from some countries - very few americans, and the most put-forward leaks are people like Putin, Saudi Arabian dudes, or western people that were already known to be huge fraudsters. Of course the investigation is far from over and covers only one of many offshore counsellor companies so it could be a coincidence, but who knows.

20 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

This papers essentially confirm what everyone already knew for ages, and now there's no hiding it.

I'm actually more surprised so many journalists managed to keep this under wraps and release everything simultaneously for the world to see. Makes me have hope for real journalism.

Grab your popcorns boys, the drama is about to be real.

holy shit congrats on the 12K

20 minutes ago, Down said:

...  very few americans, and the most put-forward leaks are people like Putin, Saudi Arabian dudes, or western people that were already known to be huge fraudsters.

No one from Germany when I checked yesterday.

LIKE HELL.

5 hours ago, Nayleen said:

No one from Germany when I checked yesterday.

LIKE HELL.

The newspaper originally contacted by the leaker was the Süddeutsche so you can bet germans will get served too, and not just that bank that was revealed already.

9 minutes ago, Funyarinpa said:

Am I supposed to take away that Süddeutsche is an objective newspaper from this

Objective journalism doesn't exist. But you can bet that if the Süddeutsche was contacted first, there were germans involved in the leaks too. And there's hardly better for a newspaper than a scandal about the politicians of its country to make sells...

12 hours ago, Down said:

Governments have been pretending to fight against tax fraud and evasion and not actually doing anything for ages but with such an avalanche of evidence we can hope for some concrete action.

I wonder if wikileaks will release the whole raw documents. Even criminals have a right to private life but people have already pointed out the disturbingly low amount of people from some countries - very few americans, and the most put-forward leaks are people like Putin, Saudi Arabian dudes, or western people that were already known to be huge fraudsters. Of course the investigation is far from over and covers only one of many offshore counsellor companies so it could be a coincidence, but who knows.

Corruption is generally assumed to be lower in Western nations.  That's supposed to be one of the primary features of Western democracy.  I don't think the evidence necessarily points to favoritism.

Wishful thinking is that this could succeed and actually do some difference. I saw on the news ten of thousands protesting in Iceland against the prime minister (I think it was) which was part of this scandal. Sadly that would never happen in my country if our prime minister was caught. That's a cultural thing I guess. But I am a person who would gladly see official people's head roll.

But to be honest. I don't think this is going to affect anything. Corruption would always exist and if you remove one way to use it a new one appears. It is like trying to stop hackers. The hackers are always one step ahead of you. This just confirms what everyone knew just as Nosebleed said. Some people is going to resign or act stupid to save their ass. But this wont change anything. Some investigations and perhaps one or two misguiding/misleading laws which can be interpret however you like is my guess of action. This is also depending on the individual country's course of action. 

This is a gigantic problem and I doubt it could be solved or even remotely mapped before the criminals find another way. Sadly.

Here's a list of japanese companies that were involved in the Panama Papers.

Among stuff that relates to otakus, Sunrise and Bandai.

Also big well-known names like Softbank, Uniqlo, JAL, Honda...

Also it seems like the lack of Americans in the Panama Papers is partly due to the fact that the US has its own corporate tax heaven with Delaware, which has more companies incorporated than actual inhabitants... I didn't know that.

13 hours ago, Down said:

Also it seems like the lack of Americans in the Panama Papers is partly due to the fact that the US has its own corporate tax heaven with Delaware, which has more companies incorporated than actual inhabitants... I didn't know that.

Interesting, i didn't kow that was the reason either.

However, links to over 1000 US companies are starting to pop up.

15 hours ago, Down said:

Here's a list of japanese companies that were involved in the Panama Papers.

Among stuff that relates to otakus, Sunrise and Bandai.

Also big well-known names like Softbank, Uniqlo, JAL, Honda...

With how much money Love Live earns Sunrise, it doesn't surprise me one bit that they would avoid taxes with a haven. Expected.

9 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

However, links to over 1000 US companies are starting to pop up.

Yeah, and it seems like there are actually more Americans than we were led to believe at first. It's simply that they're "anonymous" by the definition that the investigating journalists gave themselves, i.e. they're not in a position of political power right now in america... Which doesn't mean they're not, say, a very close acquaintance of a politician, or someone who funded the primaries campaign of another, etc...

Criticism of the consortia that organized the panama papers investigations are popping up here and there and I hope someone will release the raw documents now.

On 7/4/2016 at 2:20 PM, OriginalRen said:

With how much money Love Live earns Sunrise, it doesn't surprise me one bit that they would avoid taxes with a haven. Expected.

Sadly never going back to the City Hunter/Escaflowne/Cowboy Bebop glory.