Spring 2016 Anime Discussion

Nosebleed

Netoge was decent this week.

Spoiler

Glad they didn't use the account takeover to make the show turn dark or anything; they kept the tone as light as it has been so far. I'd hate for it to get too serious since that's just not in keeping with the style. I also got sick of Nishimura not going the extra 1% effort required to explain his romance for Ako to her more clearly so I'm glad they ended this episode with him clarifying it - though there is a good chance they may effectively backtrack on following episodes with her still not understanding the difference between the real world and the net, and that would suck.

Kabaneri had a nice interlude in there before the shit hits the fan again.

Assclass was the surprise this week, taking full marks from me.

Spoiler

That last scene blew my mind and it's even funnier in Japanese since Karasuma says お前がうちで働け which means both "work with us" and "work at our/my home", and what he says later makes it clearer what he really meant. Great stuff.

Hmmmm this week is being kinda weak.

Kabaneri was pretty much a breather episode, the characters chilling for a while.

Bungou Stray Dogs is slowly declining in quality. The enemies are so clichéd and stupid, and the MC has not changed a single bit since the first episode.

Flying witch was delightful this week.

Tanaka-kun continues to be a nice laugh.

Luluco stupid fun.

Ushio + Tora2 has been simply fantastic for quite a few episodes now and still is.

Haifuri was kinda hohum but okay. At least it's a known quantity now.

Kiznaiver pulled out all the stops this week with a sensational episode. Considering how banal I thought this series was to begin with, I'm really surprised.

Asterisk continues to disappoint - considering this was a climactic episode it was pretty meh. It shits me how this show could have been so much better but got the double season funding when Rakudai which is almost the identical story got funding for only one season and was a trillion times better than this shit. EDIT: I just remembered I said pretty much the same thing during last season :P

Overall though, a great couple of days' watching.

36 minutes ago, havoc said:

@Jun Inoue I was right about the dog

Except about it being a bald man!

But, yeah. Just like we discussed, it could be seen coming. I do find it a good thing, though, since that means that it was indeed a mystery that could be theorized by us, without the truth depending on some deus-ex bullshit or hidden info. We also learn a few more things about the state of the world and Rem.

6 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Except about it being a bald man!

But, yeah. Just like we discussed, it could be seen coming. I do find it a good thing, though, since that means that it was indeed a mystery that could be theorized by us, without the truth depending on some deus-ex bullshit or hidden info. We also learn a few more things about the state of the world and Rem.

Yeah it was a nice episode, and it is good to see a mystery you can solve by flexing your brain a bit.
Got more than a little tired of the so called mystery's we have today with all the deus ex machina in them.

Still think the dog could turn out to be a bald man tough.
Mostly because the bald spot on the head of the dog is bothering me so much and it is just a little to scheming and intelligent to be a actual dog or magical beast.
But damm, i cant wait for the next episode.

I'm late for the party but wanted to talk about this season anyway, so yeah!

Lots of people are saying that Re:Zero is going to be the best anime of this season, so I went to watch it with a lot of expectations. There were people saying that the anime is full of suffering and sadness, so I expected my heart to be broken, and boy was I disappointed. Re:Zero has an interesting history, but I just can't get attached to the characters, and the balance of the silly and serious moments is so bad, imo. Apparently it's going to get darker, so I'll stick to it, I guess lol~

Boku no Hero Academia is one of the few animes that I'm really enjoying this season. It's a shame that the anime is going to end before it even shows the fun parts of the manga (´;ω;`)

Bungou Stray Dogs is the anime I'm only watching because it has the typical Mamoru Miyano character. It's getting boring FAST. There were a few good episodes, but so far it's not that great, at least it's pretty? idk and apparently there's a second season confirmed? I can only hope it gets better...

Kiznaiver, I think is my favorite anime of this season. It's interesting, I really like the characters and I enjoyed every episode! It's a shame that apparently a lot of people I know aren't liking it tho (´・ω・`) 

Other than that I'm watching Mayoiga, because sometimes something is SO BAD that it's ends up being good + I want to see how bad this can get, rofl. The only anime that is worse than Mayoiga is Super Lovers, cause damn this anime is SUPER creep, I didn't think it would be possible to be worse than Mayoiga, but then you have a guy that is 22 years old helping a 15 years old masturbate and everyone think that's okat because they are foreigners, seriously wtf Japan? ( ´_ゝ`)...

And then there's Tanaka-Kun and Shounen Maid, that are both really cute and fluffy (♡´౪`♡) I am really enjoying them so far. I'll maybe check Kuma Miko and 12-Sai, and I'm definitely going to watch JoJo's and Sakamoto-Kun... eventually  (゜∀゜)

Ugh, I don't get Kiznaiver. First 5 episodes? Mediocre, episode 6 and 7? Absolutely AMAZING in every department, and now episode 8 goes back being all over the place again BUT then the last 5 minutes became great again! Argh! What gives?? *sigh* At least the soundtrack of the latest 2 episodes are stellar consistently....

I really hope Re:Zero put the end of this arc in the next episode because it's starting to drag. Or maybe it's just because I predicted what happen so far hmm.... At the very least the action sequences are great.

...as for every other anime I've been following, they're all going... normally. Big Order definitely takes the cake for the most trainwreck this season, more so than Mayoiga. Boku no Hero's pacing at what I expected so the last few episodes will be great, hopefully it'll end with a second season announcement. Bungou Stray Dogs is being...a normal shounen. Nothing standing out. Kabaneri is straight forward as always with the story and relies on epic action. Flying Witch and Tanaka-kun is consistently relaxing. Nothing really stands out this week.

....and then I realized Girls und Panzer der Film's OVA is Spring! Aaaand it's just a SoL OVA unlike the movie.... should've seen it coming. Such a bait title for the OVA though.... "Alice's War" hah... here I thought it'll be more tank fights.... possibly with the Centurion again... here's hoping it'll set up for a future sequel what's with all the record sales the Blu Ray is getting.

5 minutes ago, Jibril said:

I really hope Re:Zero put the end of this arc in the next episode because it's starting to drag. Or maybe it's just because I predicted what happen so far hmm.... At the very least the action sequences are great.

I don't agree with that. It'd be a problem if Re:Zero was just throwing out pointless filler stuff to pad the arc, but each episode has some kind of meaning to it, and I'm personally glad that the writers are actually taking their time to flesh out the characters and develop the story. I haven't had any problems with the pacing at all since it's been consistently interesting the whole time.

My only complaint with the series so far is that it hasn't really given much depth to the characters yet. They're fleshed out, yes, but nothing about them really stands out from a non-emotional point of view. Although they do have some potential.

1 minute ago, Kenshin_sama said:

I don't agree with that. It'd be a problem if Re:Zero was just throwing out pointless filler stuff to pad the arc, but each episode has some kind of meaning to it, and I'm personally glad that the writers are actually taking their time to flesh out the characters and develop the story. I haven't had any problems with the pacing at all since it's been consistently interesting the whole time.

My only complaint with the series so far is that it hasn't really given much depth to the characters yet. They're fleshed out, yes, but nothing about them really stands out from a non-emotional point of view. Although they do have some potential.

Well I wouldn't like for them to throw out the pointless filler too but this arc isn't necessarily a very interesting arc either if you look at it from the bigger picture. If it weren't for the symbolism, character development, pacing and the little hints thrown around for the world building, this arc would've fall flat rather quick. The story theme for this arc is honestly boring, hence why I would really love them to conclude it in the next episode and starts a new arc, preferably something big.

3 episodes for arc 1, and if it ends at ep 10, 7 episodes for arc 2. So I'm guessing big third arc that encompasses 10+ episodes, maybe until the last episode of the show. Hopefully something related to the politics of the kingdom and the reason why Subaru got summoned there. 

37 minutes ago, Jibril said:

Well I wouldn't like for them to throw out the pointless filler too but this arc isn't necessarily a very interesting arc either if you look at it from the bigger picture. If it weren't for the symbolism, character development, pacing and the little hints thrown around for the world building, this arc would've fall flat rather quick. The story theme for this arc is honestly boring, hence why I would really love them to conclude it in the next episode and starts a new arc, preferably something big.

Hide contents

3 episodes for arc 1, and if it ends at ep 10, 7 episodes for arc 2. So I'm guessing big third arc that encompasses 10+ episodes, maybe until the last episode of the show. Hopefully something related to the politics of the kingdom and the reason why Subaru got summoned there. 

It's not the story itself that I find interesting, but the potential for things to get better later on. This format is very similar to Steins;Gate which moves from a sort of uneventful build-up phase to the omg, what the heck, shit hitting the fan phase. That's generally what this anime is doing in this arc; introducing new storyline elements to utilize for a better arc. Heck, this build-up is even better than S;G's, though I'm not sure if that necessarily means it'll be better overall. We'll see.

Please stahp, Re:Zero, I can't go on.

Also, I seriously hope they end up killing the fucking shaman/puppy, it's starting to become the evil guy of the series or smth xD

On 03/06/2016 at 1:34 AM, Jibril said:

The story theme for this arc is honestly boring, hence why I would really love them to conclude it in the next episode and starts a new arc, preferably something big.

The story is only boring if you don't really care about the characters. This arc is explaining (although painfully slowly) the context around Emilia, her backer Roswaald and the maids Ram and Rem. They are not making up stuff on the go, or side-tracking, but simply going at a very calculated pace, which in my opinion worked great at making both Subaru and the spectator really happy at the twins finally opening up to him.

If I had to point one flaw regarding this particular matter, is that we'll end up probably not getting enough development for the characters. The second arc balanced this by being over double the episodes than the first arc, but what will happen from now on? Will the third arc be even bigger so that we still get info about the characters apart from the new arc? The characters are still very, very underdeveloped and generally a mystery, so the anime has a bunch of stuff to do before the anime ends, or it'll end up as a disappointment.

On 03/06/2016 at 1:34 AM, Jibril said:

Well I wouldn't like for them to throw out the pointless filler too but this arc isn't necessarily a very interesting arc either if you look at it from the bigger picture. If it weren't for the symbolism, character development, pacing and the little hints thrown around for the world building, this arc would've fall flat rather quick.

Yeah. But all those things ARE there, so it didn't end up being a problem. Re:Zero has, for now, masterfully made us feel like the plot keeps going forward, towards a "good end" for the arc, even though Subaru has died a shit-ton of times already and reset the 4 days. The fact that this last thing hasn't really bothered us at all proves just how all the little things scattered around each episode have caught our attention, how the ongoing mystery has drawn us in.

I missed Re:Zero for a few weeks despite it being one of my favorite things I've watched in the past couple years (so far at least), but finally caught the 3 recent episodes. For me at least, every single one of the 10 episodes so far, each and every one has been outstanding.

6 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

Please stahp, Re:Zero, I can't go on.

Also, I seriously hope they end up killing the fucking shaman/puppy, it's starting to become the evil guy of the series or smth xD

The story is only boring if you don't really care about the characters. This arc is explaining (although painfully slowly) the context around Emilia, her backer Roswaald and the maids Ram and Rem. They are not making up stuff on the go, or side-tracking, but simply going at a very calculated pace, which in my opinion worked great at making both Subaru and the spectator really happy at the twins finally opening up to him.

If I had to point one flaw regarding this particular matter, is that we'll end up probably not getting enough development for the characters. The second arc balanced this by being over double the episodes than the first arc, but what will happen from now on? Will the third arc be even bigger so that we still get info about the characters apart from the new arc? The characters are still very, very underdeveloped and generally a mystery, so the anime has a bunch of stuff to do before the anime ends, or it'll end up as a disappointment.

Yeah. But all those things ARE there, so it didn't end up being a problem. Re:Zero has, for now, masterfully made us feel like the plot keeps going forward, towards a "good end" for the arc, even though Subaru has died a shit-ton of times already and reset the 4 days. The fact that this last thing hasn't really bothered us at all proves just how all the little things scattered around each episode have caught our attention, how the ongoing mystery has drawn us in.

You bring up one of my major concerns about the anime. This arc has had phenomenal character development, but it's taken 7 episodes to do it. I have absolutely zero issue with the pacing so far, but my problem isn't me, but their allotted 2-cour. We're still only on a second arc with little to no answers about anything, even a future direction, and the anime is already nearing it's halfway point. Did a little research into the source (I knew nothing about it until just now) and it seems the anime is either in the 2nd or 3rd volume out of currently 8 volumes out of the Light Novel. The prediction an even longer 3rd arc is correct, the next arc is volumes 4-9. Apparently the Web Novel version of the source is much longer though so there shouldn't be an issue of running out of material and White Fox going for an anime original ending again... (coughakamegakillcough). Also, reading stuff from people who read the web novel, apparently the third arc could be adapted in 14-15 episodes just fine, so again, pacing shouldn't be an issue here. I too am so deeply hoping they end the arc with the next episode (as I have no idea of the source and where they're even at), putting them right at that 14episode mark estimate that someone gave a couple weeks ago. Also, since, according to MAL, it's been announced as a 25 episode series since the beginning, the storyboarders much have an idea at a pacing ahead of time, which all you can do is be optimistic about.

At this point, I'm hoping it stays as strong as it has been (for me personally). With 10 episodes straight of just being overly fantastic, it has the potential to earn a spot among my favorite anime series of all time. Apparently, the LNs have gained massive popularity from the anime to the point they ran out of copies and had to print more, which is an extremely good sign for a possible second season down the line. According to a very unreliable source, the web novel has like 500 chapters, which, according to them, is equal to like 30 volumes of LNs, so the LNs will just keep getting pumped out if this popularity holds. And I hope so deeply that it does, along with getting a second season, I'm just enjoying it so much. Seeing as GochiUsa managed to get a S2, I don't see why not this. 

6 hours ago, Kenshin_sama said:

Re:Cliffhanger. :kosame: Seriously, when that episode ended, I thought it was the halfway break. That went by way too fast. o.O

I know, right? I was like... no way it's been 22 minutes already...

3 hours ago, Ceris said:

Seeing as GochiUsa managed to get a S2, I don't see why not this.

Tons of great shows that deserve S2/3/4+ never get them, whilst other steaming piles of shit get lots of extra seasons. Unfortunately being good is neither a prerequisite nor a guarantee.

Large demand doesn't always equate with more product, so I wouldn't get your hopes up even if it is popular. The anime industry seems to be more focused on putting out new titles than in continuing popular ones. I've long since held the idea that the goal for newer shows is to advertise rather than to satisfy. I suppose it makes sense too; if the viewers are satisfied with the anime, they won't want to buy the source. I would hope that Re:Zero is an exception, but I'll keep my expectations low.

I had to learn this the hard way with Accel World.

5 hours ago, ittaku said:

Tons of great shows that deserve S2/3/4+ never get them, whilst other steaming piles of shit get lots of extra seasons. Unfortunately being good is neither a prerequisite nor a guarantee.

I mention GochiUsa because it's the same studio. Some studios are notorious for leaving unfinished works, or just not bothering with a S2, but GochiUsa got a S2, so that boosts the hope a tiny bit.

39 minutes ago, Ceris said:

I mention GochiUsa because it's the same studio. Some studios are notorious for leaving unfinished works, or just not bothering with a S2, but GochiUsa got a S2, so that boosts the hope a tiny bit.

I'm still not entirely sure. Steins;Gate did get 2 proper sequels with the special and movie, but those don't require a TV slot for the initial airing. GochiUsa and Jormungand got TV sequels, but they were both 1-cour. White Fox has never done a TV sequel for anything longer than that. I'm not saying it won't happen, but it doesn't seem promising. At best, it'll get a movie or special/OVA.

@Jun Inoue The thing is, all of these character developments, introduction, calculated pace can be done with a different story. IMO you could say that this shaman problem is a mere plot device for those aspects. Obviously the only thing that can prove my opinion wrong if the next episode reveals whether or not the shaman is part of the arc 3 or nothing more than a side villain. Honestly I wish it proves me wrong just so I can praise the anime better, but at this point I can't. Sure the latest episode delivers epic action with more character development particularly for Ram but again, they're starting to drag this arc in terms of story.

Let's put it this way, in my opinion Re Zero is a great anime. The thing is I don't want it to be a great anime, I want it to be a MASTERPIECE. I want White Fox to squeeze the potential that the source material has until it's last drop. I want this thing to be so amazing it'll be in the top 10 of MAL of all time. Which is why I'm nitpicking quite a lot on the last 3 episodes. You could blame me rising the expectations to a ridiculous level or blame episode 7 for making me rise it that high.

@Ceris First 3 episodes (counting the double length first episode) covers the first volume, episode 4-7 covers the second volume, 8-11 (by my prediction) should be the third volume. Hence episode 12-25 would roughly cover 3-4 more books but LN and WN readers say that the ending would either have to be cliffhanger or original as not even the volume 9 saw the conclusion of the arc. Trying to rush the next arc to completion would destroy the anime's pacing. So the only thing to appease the fans would be cliffhanger. Of course considering right now we're only in episode 11, thus it won't be unreasonable to see the pre-orders and sales of the anime's DVD going up substantially and warranting a "Re Zero 2nd season" announcement at the final episode just to build the hype. I mean Log Horizon did it with it's first season and that thing is 2 cours too!

@Kenshin_sama White Fox does sequels more than other studios *coughmadhousecough* so that gives us some hope for a Re Zero sequel. AGK pre-orders are way below expectations thus the author gave them the condensed script for the anime to finish up without resorting to cliffhangers. You also have to factor in how popular is Re Zero overseas compared to AGK which is popular due to hate. Merchandise sales plays a big role too for an anime's future. It is also possible that White Fox doesn't continue it but have another studio leading the production for a sequel instead. Silver Link and J.C. Staff are the prime choices as both studio is listed being outsourced by White Fox and are well known for LN/WN adaptations.