Dracu-Riot! Completion Project

Nosebleed

• 3 weeks later...
On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 7:09 AM, Evenlaist said:

any updates? :rimu:

The nature of this process is too convoluted for us to offer progress updates, at least in any manner that would not be counterproductive to the efficiency of this undertaking. We remain on track for the (very roughly) two-month estimate, and if we were to forecast falling significantly short for whatever reason, then we would inform the public.

• 4 weeks later...

We have an update for you guys (spoiler alert: not happy news)

If you don't want to read Fiddle's carefully redacted post, here's my shitty TL;DR:
I'm currently going through the last weeks of my college semester and it's completely hectic, as you might expect, thus I literally have no time to focus on the project.
Clephas is having much bigger issues as well and needs to take care of himself first and foremost.
Editing and proofreading are also taking time.

Because we want to make sure everything is up to par, it's safe to say things are going to get dragged out for a while longer and the two months deadline will not be met.

On my end, I expect to be back in full force once my college semester is done at the very least, but I do apologize that I couldn't fulfill the deadlines.

1 hour ago, Nosebleed said:

If you don't want to read Fiddle's carefully redacted post, here's my shitty TL;DR:
I'm currently going through the last weeks of my college semester and it's completely hectic, as you might expect, thus I literally have no time to focus on the project.
Clephas is having much bigger issues as well and needs to take care of himself first and foremost.

Because we want to make sure everything is up to par, it's safe to say things are going to get dragged out for a while longer and the two months deadline will not be met.

On my end, I expect to be back in full force once my college semester is done at the very least, but I do apologize that I couldn't fulfill the deadlines.

No problem man. It's all very understandable. Get your important things done first (and well) so you can concentrate best on the project. It'll definitely make the result better. We've been waiting for Dracu-Riot for so long, a little longer will seem like nothing compared to what it was.

Good luck in college!

4 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

No problem man. Take your time with this. It never works out to rush something like this when you are so busy.

Well, can't be help if college was the factor, and in addition of Clephas fatal knee injury. Best of luck to handle those thing, mod Nosebleed. Add another a month or less was nothing compared to 31 months between Insem release of Elina patch and 90% translated patch anyway. Sorry couldn't offer more than cliche word here, but once again good luck to got through all of this.

First, Good Lucky with the project...
And i see here in the "april" patch All Scripts are corrupted, your tool don't update offset at 0x14, 0x1C and 0x20 Position, the game only read because are you using  the MDF packget, but this is a "warning" don't is the case of this game, but if the .scn contains a resource for example a image or any data.... the game don't can read with wrong offsets...

you can see this algorithm for sample: PSBStringManager.cs#L102

9 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

If you don't want to read Fiddle's carefully redacted post,

As the editor I'd like to say something about this word choice, but I'm feeling much too lazy right now.

Anyway, a minor editing report to whoever may be interested:

I'm putting some serious hours into this project. Insem's script is pretty hit-or-miss. Some scenes are mostly okay, some scenes are very bad and require extensive reworkings. I'll be honest, the scenes that are "mostly okay" are going to remain relatively untouched. If this was a new translation from scratch that was a year or more away from completion, I'd give each and every line a very thorough treatment. This isn't that, unfortunately, and to be frank I don't think I'd really have the desire to sink that kind of time into some random outsider's translation even if I had it. But we're making solid improvements to enough portions of the script that I believe our work to be very much worth it. If I were to guess, I've already made changes to several thousand lines without having completed a heroine route yet, not counting minor formatting adjustments and general debritification (suck it, @Rooke). Our version of the translation will officially suck substantially less. If you want an example of just how much the Staircase translation can suck sometimes, just see Yuuto's first morning in the dorm. Hoo boy, that one's a doozy.

It's slightly demotivating to see so few people actually care about the quality of the script, choosing to read the current patch despite knowing that an improved one is on the way in the near future. But hey, I figured this would happen. To the people who are patiently awaiting the edited release, you'll be rewarded soon enough. To everyone else who couldn't wait just a few more months for something they didn't even think they'd be getting at all, hah, the joke's on you. If you are super patient, it's actually best to wait for Fiddle to do his eventual full TLC pass, which won't be for several more months.

One last note: Fiddle said that the editing "may" be done before whatever his definition of "two months" is. This is true, that might actually happen. But there's also a decent chance it won't. I don't think he plans on delaying the patch for my lethargic ass, but the Miu route will definitely be fully edited and translated. So if that's all you're waiting for, then you have nothing to worry about. The Azusa route will almost certainly be fully edited by that point. I expect there to be at least three fully edited routes. There will hopefully be five, but eh... that might not happen.

Anyway, I'm working my ass off on this. I hope you're able enjoy the VN all the more for it.

Dang boy, didn't even know this project had started. I'm on team "let's wait for the first patch", then, since being able to read Miu's patch with a somewhat acceptable TL sounds very nice.

I also don't want Decay go glare and say mean things to me.

6 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

I also don't want Decay go glare and say mean things to me.

I mean, that's going to happen regardless.

But, yeah, I'm waiting for the finished product - it's not like my backlog isn't already a dozen games deep, and since I'm working on editing a fan TL right now which a certain forum member keeps recommending to others, I constantly finding myself wondering if that's going to be yet another person who isn't even going to get to appreciate the game more because of the changes I'm making.

As someone who's also cramming for dem final weeks of college, I wish you the best as well NB ^_^. Hearing the almighty infinite stomach Clephas going through tough times also feels weird, so I wish him a speedy recovery too.

The delay is actually good for me, 'cos even if DRiot was completed now, it'd probably just get queued in my sexy backlog.

e950d256b1.jpg

Maybe this is just how Australians talk? @Rooke?

edit: This is one of the crappier lines in the TL, for sure. You can tell what he's saying, but like the way he says practically every part of it is so wrong. I've been working on this scene for the last day and it's been a nightmare. I think Insem must have been high as a kite when he worked on it.

edit 2: And the next scene? Completely different! It's like night and day. There's still some stuff here and there that needs adjustment, but it feels acceptable to me. He really must have been wasted or something on that day.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/05/2016 at 1:22 PM, Decay said:

e950d256b1.jpg

Maybe this is just how Australians talk? @Rooke?

As a fellow Australian who's translated I can tell you this is easy to do no matter how good your English is normally and it has nothing to do with being Australian. You look at the original line, you translate it, you get to the next sentence and realise you missed the nuance in one of the words, you go back and change one word. Then you translate the next sentence and realise the tense was wrong. You go back and change the tense of one word and go back to the new sentence and realise you now have to alter something to match the first sentence. Then you change another word and feel like you've done those two sentences and move to the next line to translate. You never go back to see what the whole line ended up looking like so you don't even know you've ended up creating a cryptic crossword.

This largely goes away if you double translate scenes by going back over the entire scene but given how long translation takes in the first place, there's a good chance most translators skip it and leave it for the TLC and editors to fix. No doubt if someone was translating professionally, the approach would be more thorough. I'm certainly embarrassed by some of the shit my editors have had to clean up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2016 at 3:50 PM, ittaku said:

As a fellow Australian who's translated I can tell you this is easy to do no matter how good your English is normally and it has nothing to do with being Australian. You look at the original line, you translate it, you get to the next sentence and realise you missed the nuance in one of the words, you go back and change one word. Then you translate the next sentence and realise the tense was wrong. You go back and change the tense of one word and go back to the new sentence and realise you now have to alter something to match the first sentence. Then you change another word and feel like you've done those two sentences and move to the next line to translate. You never go back to see what the whole line ended up looking like so you don't even know you've ended up creating a cryptic crossword.

This largely goes away if you double translate scenes by going back over the entire scene but given how long translation takes in the first place, there's a good chance most translators skip it and leave it for the TLC and editors to fix. No doubt if someone was translating professionally, the approach would be more thorough. I'm certainly embarrassed by some of the shit my editors have had to clean up.

I just learnt this myself. Going back and forth because of little mistakes sometimes makes really easy sentences into convoluted crap. Later you look at the edits from your editor and you go 'what the hell was I doing? That's not even in english.' I am one of those leave-it-to-the-editor people.