How do you capitalise letters while using a computer?

How do you capitalise letters?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. How do you capitalise letters?

• I use CAPS LOCK key
    • I use Shift key
    • I use something else

1 minute ago, FinalChaos said:

Shift all the way

You need to tap the Caps-lock twice..... TWICE!!  

True, but the pinky isn't strong, so if you have to type something long in caps, holding the button down that long can get tiring.

Then again, I just said that, and then I realized that I scroll around the text I'm typing by using the arrow keys while holding the control key the whole time, so that argument is obviously bogus.

At any rate, CAPS lock usage is an aberration, and you crazy people need to repent and learn to type properly.

1 hour ago, Kiriririri said:

日本語はそんなものいらない。

50 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

私は日本語だけ喋るので、大文字とか小文字とかどうでもいい。

PS:オードリー最高

Macでカタカナを入力する時、Shift押しながらすると便利です :sachi:

1 hour ago, Decay said:

I cannot fathom a world where people actually use caps lock for capital letters. That's one extra button press for every capital! How incredibly inefficient. 

That said, right shift key only. Who the hell uses left shift?

I could ask the same in reverse, who uses right shift?

1 hour ago, Tiagofvarela said:

You need to HOLD shift. HOLD! You don't do that with any other key. Such a lack of consistency.

I can only speak for myself, but because of the kinds of games I played in my early childhood, the process of hitting two buttons simultaneously has always been my preferred alternative to hitting them sequentially. It feels more natural for my fingers.

On the subject of holding Shift, though, at least those of you who prefer to hit Caps Lock before and after a capital letter haven't needed to deal with this. :makina:

stickykeys.jpg

filter_keys0.png

40 minutes ago, Decay said:

I cannot fathom a world where people actually use caps lock for capital letters. That's one extra button press for every capital! How incredibly inefficient. 

That said, right shift key only. Who the hell uses left shift?

I use the right Shift key so often it's literally the dustiest key on my keyboard. 

People who complain about an extra key press don't seem to realize speed is something you acquire through muscle memory.
I take fractions of a second to double tap caps lock and type a single capital letter, because I've done this since I had my first computer as a child and no one ever taught me you could use Shift to type capital letters. For me it takes way longer to hold Shift and type a letter than caps lock, it simply feels unnatural and non ituitive.

Ultimately, both ways can be done really fast, as long as you build good muscle memory. Maybe if you bring it down to the milisecond there might be a difference, but in reality they both achieve pretty much the same thing.

tl;dr different strokes for different folks. I'll join @Tiagofvarela in the caps lock crusade.

• 1 year later...
On 4/1/2016 at 8:54 PM, Funyarinpa said:

As of this sentence, I will copy and paste all uppercase letters I need from the internet.

Update: Shortly after this post, my "m" key broke, which means that if I want to type "m", I copy and paste the letter from somewhere, same for its capitalization. This incidentally means that I use Windows' On-Screen Keyboard to type M, as that's the easiest way.

5 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

what's shift

4 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

Whoops, I made a wrong answer. It reminds me that I actually need to read the first post in the thread before answering, lol.

But who cares, it's The Coliseum of Chatter.

Can you explain how you could have possibly misunderstood? What about the first post was so different from the poll?