The U.S. Copyright Office is currently receiving feedback on the DMCA

Nosebleed

Yes, the timing is most unfortunate, but this is not an Aril Fool's joke and I think it deserves everyone's attention given the deadline is today.

In sum: The organization Fight for the Future publicized the fact that the US government is currently taking feedback on the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, also known as DMCA. 

Video for those that don't like reading:

They are accepting comments from all over the world, not just the USA. This is the perfect time to actually make a change on this outdated law that in recent years has screwed over content creators and has been abused to silence people countless times by corporations and, if you follow YouTube drama, even has been used by random individuals to troll channels with absolutely no repercussions. Outside of videos, the DMCA is constantly abused to threaten websites.

If you care about things like Fair Use, now is the time to act.

So what do you do now?

Visit this page and write your comment: http://takedownabuse.org/

Preferably take the time to write a personalized comment with a good amount of attention to detail. The more the better, but quality is also important.

And of course, share the page wherever you can in order to bring more people to send a comment.

Hopefully for once we can make a change. 

i signed. this needs to stop. the copyright claims are getting out of hand and whats worse is nobody seems to monitor these claims to see if they are right. you can claim a video has violated the copyright rules on youtube and without checking to see if its legit, they take down the video. if this helps in anyway, please sign it.

1 minute ago, Funyarinpa said:

he sounds like Ren

.......................................................................................................................OH MY GOD! REN IS A SHAPESHIFTER! IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW! :marie:

im actually surprised how many people sound like ren in youtube. I even sound like ren!

Why do I get the feeling that the number of signatures gathered will be ... disappointingly (for them, anyway) low?

Good luck. Nothing will change, but I suppose if people feel the need to do something, anything, then a peaceful petition is better than getting angry and lashing out at stuff.

8 minutes ago, Rooke said:

Why do I get the feeling that the number of signatures gathered will be ... disappointingly (for them, anyway) low?

Good luck. Nothing will change, but I suppose if people feel the need to do something, anything, then a peaceful petition is better than getting angry and lashing out at stuff.

What? No! C'mon, guys! Riot in the streets. Throw desks around. Hide all the pencil sharpeners in an act of terrorism! That's the only way to attain change.
Like, life in prison is completely different, you know? Change.

Signed anyway. Never been one to stick to my values like glue.