Dick Drawing Skills - does these exist in Fan translations?

Scorp

Yeah, that's the topic. I know, that when you do not have layered image (like usually original publishers have) it is quite hard to create anything. But not completely impossible (fan fix for Nocturnal Illusion Renewal comes to mind).

Were there any other examples of a fan translation, which did de-mosaic for their release?

26 minutes ago, ittaku said:

I love the titles of some of the threads I can find here on fuwa... that said, if I were getting uncensored pics, someone's dick is the last thing I care about being uncensored <_<

Have to agree with ittaku on both points, but although I myself can't believe it, I think I have relevant information: didn't the Majikoi fan translation patch have a decensoring option? I'm pretty sure I remember being traumatized by the example of it that I saw, wherever it was; I definitely did not apply it when I was reading.

1 hour ago, Fred the Barber said:

I'm pretty sure I remember being traumatized by the example of it that I saw, wherever it was; I definitely did not apply it when I was reading.

Just like with translations, no doubt there are examples of good decensoring, but fan decensoring can be quite... limited indeed. I've only ever had one person offer to decensor the pics in To Heart 2 and I was so happy that they offered, but when he returned his first attempt, my response was... PINK!!!! Everything was this bizarre unnatural (compared to 2D?) hot pink stand out disaster. I decided I'd give up on the idea of having anything decensored after that.

5 hours ago, ittaku said:

I love the titles of some of the threads I can find here on fuwa... that said, if I were getting uncensored pics, someone's dick is the last thing I care about being uncensored <_<

Same here I have to agree with you on both points aswell

8 hours ago, ittaku said:

Ehm, there is mosaic censorship of anything apart dicks and vags? Or  you only care about female genitals uncensored? Or what you mean in "if I were getting uncensored pics"? 

So, actually, I was asking about examples of fan translations which had mosaic-free images, made from originally mosaic ones.

17 minutes ago, Scorp said:

Ehm, there is mosaic censorship of anything apart dicks and vags? Or  you only care about female genitals uncensored? Or what you mean in "if I were getting uncensored pics"? 

So, actually, I was asking about examples of fan translations which had mosaic-free images, made from originally mosaic ones.

The highlighted above.

I know what you were after and sorry for going offtopic.

VNs should be like hentai manga magazines where the outline of the genitals still remains perfectly visible so you can make out the shape but the filler has mosaics so it's still censored. It's better than adding a random circular blur that even affects the background.

I noticed some nukige started doing this but it's not widespread.

38 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

VNs should be like hentai manga magazines where the outline of the genitals still remains perfectly visible so you can make out the shape but the filler has mosaics so it's still censored. It's better than adding a random circular blur that even affects the background.

I noticed some nukige started doing this but it's not widespread.

From the manga I've read, a lot of it seems to be the infamous black line, or the 'region' is totally whited out. I doubt that the latter would work particularly well in the glorious technicolour of visual novels, so blacklining that shit would have been what I've have said. Yours is definitely a better idea though.

As for dick drawing (something I'm so pleased I've been able to say on a forum :sachi:) and censorship... It's weird, but whenever I see an uncensored scene in a VN nowadays, it normally features me hiding behind a chair and throwing gifts of appeasement to the noonie goods is quite jarring, to be honest. It sounds daft, but for myself the censorship is an important part of the experience.

In tanks and doujinshi the censorship is different, that's where you'll find all the black bars and white outs (in digital manga, mosaics are more common and are sometimes even applied over the already existing black bars) but magazines like Comic LO implement the type of censorship i'm talking about.

As far as nukige goes, what I think works best is when the genitals are selected carefully and the mosaics are only applied to the necessary areas and don't overflow into the background, this way you can still make out the shape and it doesn't feel too intrusive. It also depends on the mosaic size, if they're too big it looks like shit regardless.

By the way, I have a way I can manually edit a pixelated image to convert the pixelated portion into a slightly more detailed blurred version of the original data. While it's still nowhere near as complete as a redrawing, I find it less obtrusive than pixelation, and since it's done using filters rather than drawing, it is based entirely on the original artist's data without requiring any artistic skill. Someone with artistic skill could probably then draw over the top of the partially recreated image and more closely reproduce the original artist's impression.

Since you were talking dicks, I've done a sample using dicks with my beloved Lucy from To Heart 2 to show what I mean.

Before:

Spoiler

After:

Spoiler

Of course it is a little time consuming and since it's not perfect and translators are harder to find than graphic editors, my time is better spent doing translation...

On 31/3/2016 at 2:32 AM, ittaku said:

Since you were talking dicks, I've done a sample using dicks with my beloved Lucy from To Heart 2 to show what I mean.

No offense, but I actually prefer the pixelated image better than the blurred one. The pixels are sort of "that's how things are in Japan" while the blur feels like some out of focus item, which takes the attention and dominates the image in the wrong way. If time is spend decensoring an image, it should really be decensored or the time could be spend better doing other stuff.

Somebody started drawing uncensored penises for Kamidori. The quality is good, but he (she?) stopped after just a few scenes because it was way too time consuming. It also contained some uncensored females.

Personally I wouldn't even try to decensor anything unless it's layered or similar because I lack the skills to draw anything useful. Instead I searched sankakucomplex for musumaker and found two great looking decensored images. With a bit of copy paste, I ended up with 4 using a format and naming, which made them show up ingame. I did this fairly quickly and presumably much faster than it takes to decensor even just one image, meaning this simple approach turned out to be quite rewarding. Maybe it was dumb luck, but you have to try to see if it works. Sadly I haven't been able to figure out who actually did the decensoring and now the HD remake is announced, which naturally isn't compatible with the CG from the non-HD version.

4 hours ago, tymmur said:

No offense, but I actually prefer the pixelated image better than the blurred one. The pixels are sort of "that's how things are in Japan" while the blur feels like some out of focus item, which takes the attention and dominates the image in the wrong way. If time is spend decensoring an image, it should really be decensored or the time could be spend better doing other stuff.

No offence taken. I was actually suggesting it more as a first step towards decensoring when someone has artistic skills to draw on top of it as the overall structure is returned by doing so. You remind me of a discussion I had when I was in Japan where a (drunk) colleague of mine asked a female colleague when she came out of the onsen whether all the women's genitals were pixelated in Japan.

4 hours ago, ittaku said:

You remind me of a discussion I had when I was in Japan where a (drunk) colleague of mine asked a female colleague when she came out of the onsen whether all the women's genitals were pixelated in Japan.

I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry. At first it's pretty funny :lol: Next it becomes scary with human stupidity :unsure: Last I started wondering how I could remind you of such stupidity :wacko:

I realized precisely what's wrong with the blurred image. When I focus on the screen, if something shows up in front of the screen, it is out of focus and becomes blurred. When looking at the image, my eyes/brain somehow tries to make it 3D, which mean my eyes try to focus on an object closer than the screen. Naturally this doesn't fix the blur issue and the whole image feels wrong and uncomfortable. Pixelated parts doesn't get confused with out of focus and the image stays 2D, which mean the eyes keep focusing on the screen itself, making the image much more calm.

On 29/03/2016 at 6:46 AM, john 'mr. customer' smith said:

Anyone manage to get this one to work with decent results? I had a go but I'm guessing I shagged it big time because it came out weird. I've gone over it several times and I can't figure out what I did wrong. Reading it again now, it reads strange like a step is missing or something.

1 hour ago, Blake said:

Anyone manage to get this one to work with decent results? I had a go but I'm guessing I shagged it big time because it came out weird. I've gone over it several times and I can't figure out what I did wrong. Reading it again now, it reads strange like a step is missing or something.

Works fine for me. The thing is, exhentai is really tricky to log into, but once I managed to do so, my browser remembers that I'm logged in and can use the links. There are apps and stuff to avoid the sad panda, but none of that worked for me. However I just used the regular login like explained here: http://smdc-translations.com/blog/exhentai-without-plugins-bypass-the-sad-panda/

I never posted anything on the forum, which mean my account must be old quite old. It seems to pay off to make an account and then forget all about it only to remember it again once you need an old account.

1 hour ago, tymmur said:

Works fine for me. The thing is, exhentai is really tricky to log into, but once I managed to do so, my browser remembers that I'm logged in and can use the links. There are apps and stuff to avoid the sad panda, but none of that worked for me. However I just used the regular login like explained here: http://smdc-translations.com/blog/exhentai-without-plugins-bypass-the-sad-panda/

I never posted anything on the forum, which mean my account must be old quite old. It seems to pay off to make an account and then forget all about it only to remember it again once you need an old account.

He asked about tutorial by the link, not about how to bypass sad panda.

Oops, my bad. I guess I missed the second sentence and then it became

4 hours ago, Blake said:

Anyone manage to get this one to work with decent results? .... I've gone over it several times and I can't figure out what I did wrong. Reading it again now, it reads strange like a step is missing or something.

Somehow I read that as getting stuck with the sad panda. Now I'm not entirely sure why, but that's what I read and answered accordingly. I have no useful answer to the drawing question though :(