Vndb: https://vndb.org/v13666

Project website: https://substanceconcept.wordpress.com/

Description:

Spoiler

Nemo ante mortem beatus.
"Nobody is blessed before their death."
- Historian, Herodotus

―The era of "Necromancers" has come.

The protagonists, Kibanohara Ethica and Nagaoka Souun, are young "Private Special Living Dead Stalkers". By practicing a special kind of fighting style called "Close Quarter Armed Martial Arts", both of them have achieved great heights in their career.
Out on a mission one day, Souun becomes involved in a fierce battle and meets a young girl. Remembering nothing but her name, "Hougyou Ilia", she has become the target of a mysterious group of necromancers.
An ice-cold Tokyo brimmed of gunpowder, living dead, crime and cyberbrains. The battle that will put the lives of the Living dead Stalker and the heroines at stake begins now.

Opening Movie

Promotional Movie

Trailer

Staff:

Spoiler

Project Leader: Azure

Hacker: Anonymous Haxor

Translator: Azure

TLC: Azure

English Editor: Recruiting

Image Editor: Recruiting

Progress:

Spoiler

Tools ready, text extracted, repacker functional.

Translated Encyclopedia Entries: 60/250

More info to be updated in the coming days at the project's website.

Recruitment:

Spoiler

Currently recruiting a capable image and English text editor.

Spoiler

A couple of issues:

1 - Apparently, JAST guards its Nitro+ license like a lion guards its food (which it probably didn't kill. The lazy beast.) It may get C&D'd

2 - Apparently the engine is a bitch to hack. Not so much like trying to thread a needle, but rather trying to thread a pin. With your feet. While blindfolded.

Otherwise I've been looking forward to reading this game ... before Clephas told me how dark it was, then I was kinda turned off :( 

Good luck :) 

20 minutes ago, Rooke said:

A couple of issues:

1 - Apparently, JAST guards its Nitro+ license like a lion guards its food (which it probably didn't kill. The lazy beast.) It may get C&D'd

If you live in a Western country other than the US, any fantranslation has the potential for lawsuits, but since all Nitroplus IPs are partnered with a localization one for Jast, it won't stop at a C&D... you might end up with a lawsuit or criminal charges, since it is a clear breach of a copyright that can be technically said to be covered in the US.

26 minutes ago, Rooke said:

Apparently, JAST guards its Nitro+ license like a lion guards its food (which it probably didn't kill. The lazy beast.) It may get C&D'd

Wanted to say the same thing. :P If you'll turn to JAST to translate it, your translation will probably see the daylight in 2025. If they even can get license. I honestly doubt it, with how things are going recently. Shiny Days release, bug on a bug on a bug. Fixed after months. Flowers delayed and with bad translation. Sumaga/Django in works for years. You might try hit them up, but I doubt it will be fruitful.

God luck if you somehow decide to continue, videos looks amazing.

Thanks a lot people for your encouraging comments!

1 hour ago, Rooke said:

A couple of issues:

2 - Apparently the engine is a bitch to hack. Not so much like trying to thread a needle, but rather trying to thread a pin. With your feet. While blindfolded.

Otherwise I've been looking forward to reading this game ... before Clephas told me how dark it was, then I was kinda turned off :( 

Good luck :) 

I'm not really the type of person that likes pending on thin ice for this kind of thing, which basically means I've already covered the hacking issue, hence why I even announced a translation for it.
Well, I did also write it in the post, there's no issues on that end.

About JAST, well, I did also consider that option. For now I'll just tell you that we can only wait and see what happens.

The game is less dark than what you'd expect actually, so I recommend you check it out if this gets completed. Thanks for your support too!

1 hour ago, Maxel said:

Wanted to say the same thing. :P If you'll turn to JAST to translate it, your translation will probably see the daylight in 2025. If they even can get license. I honestly doubt it, with how things are going recently. Shiny Days release, bug on a bug on a bug. Fixed after months. Flowers delayed and with bad translation. Sumaga/Django in works for years. You might try hit them up, but I doubt it will be fruitful.

God luck if you somehow decide to continue, videos looks amazing.

Same thing regarding that up there, we'll see what happens.
Glad you liked the videos, thank you.

4 hours ago, Tweek91330 said:

Well, i'd say this is a dangerous move ^^.

I'm not so knowlegable about the law on copyrights so i don't know how much they can sue you, but i'm pretty sure they can if they want.

If i were you i'd pick up another game to tl.

Anyways, good luck, i hope you don't get in trouble for it.

There would be issues if he was selling the game or making a profit but giving out a patch should be okay... As far as I know

4 hours ago, LoganW said:

There would be issues if he was selling the game or making a profit but giving out a patch should be okay... As far as I know

I just read up on the subject and I was pretty wrong :amane:  so disregard what I just said :wahaha:

20 minutes ago, LoganW said:

It's creating a derivative work. Best case scenario - it's a legal, untested grey area and the copyright holders will choose to ignore you, worst case scenario - they'll sue you and drag you to court.

Imma be the realist here. Jast won't be localizing this game any century soon so I'd just ignore everyone's words of warning. When they have paid the licensing fees and have shown you the legal documents(s?) then you may want to think about selling them your translations. Until that century comes by I wish you the best of luck. I'm looking forward to reading this one and hope you manage to complete it.

I am really interested in this VN, so I am happy that there is a translation group. Thanks for that!

At the very least this could set things in motion with JAST. They seem to be slow with their releases (I don't know the reasons or the background) and other companies pick up translation project and publish them, so hopefully something good comes out of this translation project. Be it a fan patch or an official release.

So best of luck with this project!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I know it's been a while since the video been posted, but since no one responded I wanted to write a few lines.
After watching the first hour my hype for Tokyo Necro has definitely increased further. While zombies are not really my favorite theme, the setting and the atmosphere manages to capture my interest no problem. Half ruined Tokyo only kept alive with those hot pipes, while the world outside sinks in snow is an interesting backdrop. But even the hotel of the first scene managed to bring a unique (and memorable) style with Balinese inspired interior. I also liked the protagonist duo and the distinct way they are portrayed in the prologue. Those ingame rendered cut scenes are also quite interesting. While they don't look as pretty as drawn CGs, they obviously bring a lot more dynamic and action to the table. (Like cut scenes in other videogames basically.) The combination of both certainly is promising. I would say Tokyo Necro leaves a pretty good first impression.

As for your work, I am certainly not the most qualified to give an opinion since my understanding of Japanese very minimal at best and English is not my native language, but as far as I am concerned it looks pretty good. Sure there are some errors and typos here and there but that is to be expected without and editor, and everything was perfectly readable and understandable. My biggest complain would probably be the orange highlighted text. While I liked the color, those passages been somewhat blurry and harder to read, but I don't know if that is a problem with the Video (processing) or maybe even a problem on my end.
I hope you are still motivated for your project, because I would love to read the whole think one day. =)