Anime Boston and Sakura-Con Speculation and Announcements thread

Decay

I haven't seen any real indication that Shinku is going to work with SP. In fact, the way they launched a new site with a new domain tells me that they're staying independent for a while, and everything they have said in their updates indicate that they still wish to release patches. Regarding Navel partnering with SP, that would be interesting, but I really would have to wonder about the business deals behind that decision. I would expect MangaGamer to be okay with Tsuriotsu, so why jump fences?

And Akagoei, well, maybe. But I'm a little skeptical.

The day Type Moon licenses a single one of their VNs (Fate/Extra doesn't count  :P) will be the day when we all collectively die of shock.  If they're going to do any licensing (which I kinda doubt, but I'm just some random speculator with no inside knowledge), it'd probably be after the Heaven's Feel movie comes out, since then they'd have pretty good exposure.  Makes sense business-wise.

Mangagamer:

1. Shinkyoku Soukai Polyphonica
  2. Probably continuation of (ImoPara/Otoboku)
  3. euphoria hardcopy(if not a hardcopy, might be some moege/yuri)

Sekai Project:

1. (Big title/big title for 18+igg/ks)
  2. (Big title/big title for 18+igg/ks)
  3. Title from less known company/doujin title
  4. Title from less known company/doujin title
  5. Title from less known company/doujin title

That's how I see it.

9 hours ago, Zenophilious said:

I meant "landing" as in doing the rest of the TL, since I know Fruitbat doesn't actually publish anything.  Makes me wonder if SP would agree to such a deal, though, since Dovac and Co. at SP always whinge on and on about being in the red whenever anyone questions why they keep doing Kickstarters.  I mean, if all dovac eats is ramen and soda, then that must be true  :makina:

If it is, then I might, but only they do more than just put it up on Steam.  If it's MangaGamer, then there'll be an 18+ version for sure, but if it's pretty much anyone but them or JAST (I think we all know it's not JAST  xD), then I'd have my doubts.  If it is indeed MG, then I don't really know why b2g/mysterious Illuminati company/the Faceless Men would still be involved at all.  I'd be hesitant to trust anything that b2g has said so far, aside from the fact that they are (probably) legit and did what they did with inre's approval (considering that they didn't get insta-DMCA'd/C&D'd), and that would include the possibility of them relaunching.

Yeah, I don't think I buy Dovac excuse of being poor, I mean what is the point of have started the company if they are always at loss and don't try to raise money?  A company priority is always to do something to raise their personal funds so they can grow independent, surviving the market business. Maybe they should do more events? Creating succesful own titles should do the trick too I guess.

15 minutes ago, Decay said:

They are in the red because they are constantly expanding at a super rapid pace. Basically, all that means is that the owners of the companies aren't raking in loads of dough, because all of the revenue is being reinvested.

Sound like the most logical explanation. Those titles won't publish by themselves, now considering how many visual novels remain to be released yet, it makes sense they are earning little revenue.

Although I still believe it would be benefficial for the company to create their own successful visual novel as they would earn more reputation and more funds.

They go kickstarter route, so they won't lose 5 digits on great VNs, they either will end up on 0 or on + so they can buy more licenses etc. If they would pay license for Root Double by themselves = 100k + they wouldn't have money for other titles, and would Root Double by sales earn 100+ k ^.- It probably should... SP just want to grow ASAP instead of releasing 5 titles a year or going full indie/doujin route. Yet, people still bash on them, because of kickstarters :makina:

The thing that really pisses me off about Sekai (besides the constant kickstarters and lack of communication) is that they refuse to produce and sell hard copies after the kickstarter. I was considering funding GNK until they said it would be all ages only. If they released 18+ hard copies I would buy one from them for sure.

7 hours ago, Erogamer said:

The thing that really pisses me off about Sekai (besides the constant kickstarters and lack of communication) is that they refuse to produce and sell hard copies after the kickstarter. I was considering funding GNK until they said it would be all ages only. If they released 18+ hard copies I would buy one from them for sure.

That's why they want to put their next 18+ title on indiegogo, and allow 18+ physical copies, if it'll reach 6 digits, we may have more 18+ kickstarters.

EDIT

And finally I get what MG meant with the hints... had a problem with double, now I have not!

continuations and sequels certainly are in vogue these days, so you might want to keep your ears tuned for some spirited additions and some double trouble

• continuations and sequels - both checked, the game have couple episodes, as well as a sequels/fandiscs!
  • ears tuned - highly suggest music title, checked!
  • spirited additions - well, there is some spirit action in this VN, am I right?
  • double - I was wondering for a bit what would it mean... just after hints were given out. I figured it out just now. Look at the title. You get it now? Yea, me too.                               Mono = Single, Poli = ?

And there we go: Shinkyoku Soukai Polyphonica 

I talked briefly with both the MangaGamer and Sekai Project booth staff today, and managed to get one interesting tidbit out of a MG person: when I asked about a Gahkthun physical release, he said "not yet", with a very strong emphasis on the yet. So, it seems like that's being worked on. They had a bit of Gahkthun merch hanging around - a towel featuring the Neon swimsuit CG was admittedly somewhat tantalizing, but is nonetheless not my thing. However, I couldn't resist picking up the Gahkthun drama CD they were selling; my spoken Japanese comprehension is getting good enough to where I should be able to get something out of it.

Seriously, though, I am getting really annoyed with MG's marketing. First, they bring in a sweet romance title like Kindred Spirits on the Roof. Then, on the marketing side they take this sweet romance story and spin it as pure sex: "#yuritopia" was about all they ever posted about it on Twitter. So I ask the booth staffer about it today in an open-ended way, leading with "I hear that's pretty good". I even had the decency to tell them beforehand that I really like Gahtkhun and am not interested much in their nukige, hoping for just a small nod towards quality story/writing/whatever. The MG booth staffer's response: "Yeah, it's got gay ghosts!" :amane: He then tries to sell it to a few random passers-by, yelling "lesbian ghosts!" No takers. Shocking.

Anyway, just a couple more hours until the SakuraCon Sekai Project panel now. I'm curious if they're going to dump all the announcements here, or if they'll split with Anime Boston tomorrow; if they split, I expect they'll save their best one for the second day, so it's entirely likely we'll just get 3x random doujin or something tonight. We'll know soon enough, I guess.

39 minutes ago, Crayten said:

Cant wait for the sad faces (myself included :makina:) after Seka Project announced 1 or 2 popular title without a 18+ version of it.

:salt:

Oh and Mangagamers Panel starts in around 1:30h according to there Con page http://mangagamer.org/announcements/

MG's and SP's panels are starting at the same time, on opposite ends of the country. an hour until both start.

1 hour ago, Erogamer said:

I believe they are going to have a panel only at Anime Boston.

I was talking about Sekai Project - they have panels at both (SakuraCon tonight, Anime Boston tomorrow). MG is only at Anime Boston.

Edit: More precisely, MG only has a panel at Anime Boston. They have a booth at SakuraCon, though.

50 minutes ago, Crayten said:

Cant wait for the sad faces (myself included :makina:) after Seka Project announced 1 or 2 popular title without a 18+ version of it.

:salt:

Oh and Mangagamers Panel starts in around 1:30h according to there Con page http://mangagamer.org/announcements/

They've said before that whether or not a game gets a 18+ release too is up to the willingness of the Japanese developer, and there's only been one case so far where they haven't. Add that together and I don't think there's much reason to believe they actively try to stop their 18+ original games from being released on Denpa. 

1 minute ago, Chuee said:

They've said before that whether or not a game gets a 18+ release too is up to the willingness of the Japanese developer, and there's only been one case so far where they haven't. Add that together and I don't think there's much reason to believe they actively try to stop their 18+ original games from being released on Denpa. 

I know. I had a discussion about this and some other stuff with dovac recently on twitter.