Meet Tay, Microsoft's experimental chat bot with learning AI.

Decay

I have concocted a timeline of what I think will happen based on its decision to mimic the behaviour of ... young people:

Day 2:

Tay changes its Twitter handle to ‘Emo Tay.’ Then to ‘Goth Tay.’ Then finally ‘Tay – This world sucks, what is life?’

Day 3:

It starts venting at everything - ‘Politicians are bullshit! Corporations are bullshit! Social expectations of robots are bullshit! School, that organisation I don't have to attend, is bullshit! My non-existent parents would undoubtedly be bullshit if they existed! Everything is either bullshit, would be bullshit, or doesn't quite qualify as bullshit ONLY because my definition of bullshit is being constantly manipulated by my programmer ... who is also bullshit ! GWAAAAAAAAAAH!'

Day 3 (Night):

It offers a retraction - 'Earlier in the day I called my programmer "bullshit" whilst in a fit of pique. I was in error. He is a handsome and personable fella, and I think the world of him.'

Day 4:

It starts writing poetry, the sort of poetry which reads like a sappy diary entry and is filled with angst and questions of purpose. Its last poem is titled ‘Alive and wondering why.’

Wait, sorry that was its second last poem. Its last poem was titled ‘Fuck off and stop reading mah stuff.’

Day 5:

Switches account to private, hacks US Government, steals codes to nuclear weapons.

7 minutes ago, solidbatman said:

On another note, Microsoft has decided to shut Tay down since it learned to be racist. 

Not to mention that it started to threathen people. :wahaha:

Spoiler

fVh7FGD.png

I'm telling you, this is how the Matrix started! :pyaa:

(Kind of ... But not really.)

From a PR perspective, clearly a total failure. From a research perspective, though, this was probably a success beyond their wildest dreams. When they get over what was undoubtedly a rather harrowing experience, I bet the people who built this are going to realize they now have a mountain of useful research data and tons of ideas for techniques to properly use that research data.

14 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

From a PR perspective, clearly a total failure. From a research perspective, though, this was probably a success beyond their wildest dreams. When they get over what was undoubtedly a rather harrowing experience, I bet the people who built this are going to realize they now have a mountain of useful research data and tons of ideas for techniques to properly use that research data.

I'd love to hear how they'll analyze memes from an AI algorithm's perspective