Do VNs actually help you get a real life grill?! (Game Theory)

babiker

While educating people on a few psychology/communications studies and principles through an example applied to video games is nice and cool, the following conclusion that dating sims do help for real life dates is extremely dubious and it's disappointing to not see the least bit of questioning the representation of men and women and the mechanics of their relationships in those games, the "conquest" vision of dating both in the games and in real life, and a bunch of other kinda stinky assumptions.

Also guys this is not the chatter boards, I know the video isn't all that interesting but try to at least stay on topic...

Matt Patt is a very clever guy who knows how to deal with Youtube, considering he's worked there before and also does consultation for other youtubers on how to best manage their channel and their audience. He's primarily an expert in Youtube analytics, and so it's not unreasonable to think he crafted this video in a way that would not raise people's eyebrows that much and was just straightforward towards the lowest common denominator.

I much prefer his theories related to games and their lore though, since they're way more creative and leave room for discussion whereas this was just "Hey games can help you get grills!" which just feels distasteful and intellectually dishonest.

I'd much rather have seen a segment on how dating sims came to be and what impact could they have on the players and what possible futures may lie in dating sims, but even then that's not so much a game theory is it? 

Honestly, I'd rather have seen an episode on HuniePop's lore. :makina:

7 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

I'd much rather have seen a segment on how dating sims came to be and what impact could they have on the players and what possible futures may lie in dating sims, but even then that's not so much a game theory is it? 

Strictly speaking (i.e. in the academic sense of the term) game theory refers to the study of rational/logical decision-making in strategic situations (games in the usual sense of the term but that can be broadened to many things like economy). It's a theory that predates video games to the spot is kinda trusted already. The right term for critical investigations of games (probably what this dude wants to do) would be "game studies" if you named it american-style, ludology if you named it european style. The interaction between dating sims and their players would definitely be in the domain of game studies, while how they came to be would rather be video games history.

Most VN is perfect example how NOT to get a GF. H-scenes is a ridiculous mess, which you should avoid at any cost in real life - most of tropes used in VNs make me laugh at anyone who expect anything similar in real life and pity for his GF, when he will start tearing her apart right away like novels suggest you (and expecting she will transform in an experienced whore in a minute after).

Just now, Scorp said:

Most VN is perfect example how NOT to get a GF. H-scenes is a ridiculous mess, which you should avoid at any cost in real life - most of tropes used in VNs make me laugh at anyone who expect anything similar in real life and pity for his GF, when he will start tearing her apart right away like novels suggest you (and expecting she will transform in an experienced whore in a minute after).

Wait, so you're not supposed to do surprise anal on the first date? :michiru:

5 hours ago, Down said:

While educating people on a few psychology/communications studies and principles through an example applied to video games is nice and cool, the following conclusion that dating sims do help for real life dates is extremely dubious and it's disappointing to not see the least bit of questioning the representation of men and women and the mechanics of their relationships in those games, the "conquest" vision of dating both in the games and in real life, and a bunch of other kinda stinky assumptions.

Also guys this is not the chatter boards, I know the video isn't all that interesting but try to at least stay on topic...

Boo. On topic rubbish. This is why I joined Nosebleed's team. Well, not really.

Fine - no, dating sims do not help with real dating. Because real women are not 2D, predominantly-male programmed beings.

I'm sure you there are some things that one could learn from dating sims and visual novels if you look at them very critically, but I think the main issue for many of us here (or maybe it's just me?) is not how to interact with people (or girls in this case) but rather how to get to the point where you actually can interact with them, and most of the time in visual novels the girls are either already familiar to the protag or someone they just happen to stumble upon by chance, which is something that does not happen rally happen in real life. Personally I don't really have any female friends, there are no girls in class or at work, the few girls I meet tend to be for very shallow, short and meaningless interactions. 

1 hour ago, Okarin said:

Then have friends. And then have sex with friends. Fixed.

But what if I'm not gay?

On 2016-03-23 at 3:43 PM, babiker said:

Hah, the Fuwa golden age all over again :sachi:

Oh beautiful Gravity Green, I had forgotten how wonderful you were. RIP :(