My thoughts and impressions about fuwanovel until now

Kaguya

u have to imagine just over a year ago, there was no such thing as a VN community that doesnt share the same culture as 4chan. If u want to talk about VNs ur going to get called a faggot. No exceptions.

there was gemot (now overrun by trolls), VNDB (4chan culture), and /jp/. craneanime didn't even have forums yet. hongfire and nihonomaru for the occasional talk, and animesuki for the rare talk, but that was it. essentially if u want to talk VN, u have to go to 4chan. also if u share anything other than anime or manga, u are a faggot, bcuz those are approved and these aren't.

Curiously, you didn't even mention the most obvious place of all to talk about VNs: the official forums of VN localization companies (JAST and Mangagamer). The JAST board is pretty dead now due to mismanagement (registration was closed for months and some posting features like spoilers are now broken), but the Mangagamer board is pretty active. After the Mangagamer forum had to be replaced due to data loss recently, about 100 users registered within a week's time. As an official board it's well managed, although obviously discussion of piracy is frowned upon.

But we don't, we have things we agree on, we have things we disagree on - we are all individual people with their personal opinions and that makes the community much better than if we were "followers of Aaerus ideology". And even people who mostly disagree with that ideology are still welcome here, as long as they behave like people and not trolls and other forms of monsters.

And this is why I stick around: because these forums host thoughtful discussions where people with opposing viewpoints can disagree respectfully without holding back for fear of offending someone. Homogeneity of perspectives is boring.

I must say when I first joined the forums I was extremely shocked about how nice everyone was, and how friendly it was!

My first introduction to fuwanovel was from /jp, and part of the reason why I really investigated into it was because I didn't understand at all why everyone on there was saying such horrible horrible things about it. I don't really understand why they'd get mad about the copyright stance seeing how uploads from comiket/m3/reitaisai are some of the most popular threads with everyone begging for things to be upload, as well as it being the general attitude that sharing is good as long as you support companies you care about.

Even though I mostly lurk here more than I post (super shy orz) I still get really offended when people attack the website, and especially when people attack aaeru which seems to be more common... yet completely unfounded. It really boggles my mind how people who believe in and share the same interests would just attack something that really is helping and building something that is really wanted, but seemed almost impossible, a VN community in the west.

I'd gladly defend here and it's the first place I'll send anyone if they ask me about visual novels! I hope it continues to grow and keep its positive attitude!

This place was a pleasant surprise, as in my mind I associated the VN community -much like the anime fansubber community- with a bunch of elitist jerks. People here have been very nice and welcoming.

<Well, It's still a growing one.> Though It might evolve into something like that if it gets popular, though I hope it doesn't evolve into that.

What the heck did I just look at...

Now you have an image to associate with "slaps x around with a large trout"...

I must say when I first joined the forums I was extremely shocked about how nice everyone was, and how friendly it was!

My first introduction to fuwanovel was from /jp, and part of the reason why I really investigated into it was because I didn't understand at all why everyone on there was saying such horrible horrible things about it. I don't really understand why they'd get mad about the copyright stance seeing how uploads from comiket/m3/reitaisai are some of the most popular threads with everyone begging for things to be upload, as well as it being the general attitude that sharing is good as long as you support companies you care about.

Even though I mostly lurk here more than I post (super shy orz) I still get really offended when people attack the website, and especially when people attack aaeru which seems to be more common... yet completely unfounded. It really boggles my mind how people who believe in and share the same interests would just attack something that really is helping and building something that is really wanted, but seemed almost impossible, a VN community in the west.

I'd gladly defend here and it's the first place I'll send anyone if they ask me about visual novels! I hope it continues to grow and keep its positive attitude!

/jp/ used to be alright a few years ago but it's just become a place for trolls to compete in who can produce the most offensive opinions... don't bother arguing with them as they don't use logic. Aaeru's post above is a long explanation of that but it's basically "we want to keep the VN community small and elitist --- and only for those who know Japanese" and with Fuwanovel having an exact opposite stance the hate is not surprising.

I pretty much just got here and I've been mostly lurking because I have a hard time meeting new people, but I love this site and everything it stands for. And everyone has been awesome.

Go the IRC.. If you're time Lucky, you'll be overwhelmed by the people there. (Mostly the people who post on HERE!)

lol, I don't have any IRC or anything that connected me to most of Fuwan residents who do casual (or other) talks there. Feel like I am left out because of my obliviousity (and fear for making my laptop hanged because my experience on using those things like IRC channel thing is really bad). laugh.gif In any case, wanted to bump into the thread too, since I also have a few or two about Fuwan.

Fuwan is definitely an interesting forum. And I'm trying to be honest here. There are a lot of forums out there and I have registered in a lot of places (with a lot of screen names). But most of them didn't entertain me. Why? Because there are always a lot of pro and cons getting crashed and make the others look awkward more than they have ever been. The forum that had stick with me for more than a year is a gaming forum, which is full of people who have this 'feeling of pro' and they just make a community of itself, without having any feeling on welcoming a newcomer (like me) inside of their community. Which is why, I feel like I am a bother every time I posted inside of the forum.

But with Fuwan, sometimes I do feel inferior toward the others since I know less about Visual Novels more than the other residents here have ever played. And also the fact that most of everyone here have discussed and argued a lot (not in a negative way) about VNs; but hey! This is a VN community, so it is mundane. Everyone here seemed to have a more superior feel (no, it's not a negative remark), so I am kinda scared when I posted something. Since I'm sure some of my (drafted) postings will probably doesn't seem to be in a par with other posts. But hey, it's just me. But I still want to say it here since I want to let it out rolleyes.gif But overall, I think Fuwan has been a very useful site to me (and a bit friendlier than most of forums I have ventured in the net).

I first joined Fuwan because of Aaeru's interesting posts in her old blog (and her definitely interesting point of view regarding piracy; since all I know that people who dislike and say a wall of text about how bad piracy (in general) is because I wholeheartedly agreed that it's stereotypical). But heck, I have never learned about (only read articles from Aaeru's posts again) intellectual property or piracy thing. I only took examples from the reality of piracy around my environment; and if I argued it in the public, I would have never won. (That is why sometimes I admired Aaeru for taking a brave stand alone like that in VN community, especially I knew that community is a bit harsh and somehow biased on something, but mostly), and she said something about a forum.

And so I decided to register haha. But I have never regretted on ever making an account here. The forum has been welcoming, and hopefully it will always be toward the other newcomers.

Whoops, sorry for the wall of text. xD