I'd like something heartwarming

Funyarinpa

Besides looking forward to a few VNs that'll be released this year, I have not played a new VN in months. I want something that's heartwarming, but not comedy.

Please no moe.

The best example I have is Umineko in its happier parts. Something like that, a VN that makes me enjoy friendship and/or family. Shouldn't be too long or too short, 30-40 hours is the sweet spot.

30-40 hours is pretty damn long. And no comedy? Uhh. Any VN that is that long is going to have its share of drama and comedy. I actually don't know if there are any VNs at all that meet all of your criteria. 

Kindred Spirits on the Roof is reasonably heartwarming and isn't really moe. See my review here: http://reviews.fuwanovel.net/2016/03/16/kindred-spirits-on-the-roof/

Hmmmm....... if you want the heartwarming one, maybe Koisuru Natsu no Last Resort (At least for relaxing atmosphere imo). I didn't know how much heartwarming there though, but I think every character route in VN would ended up heartwarming you know. And maybe you could also try to play Konosora (My suggestion is that search English patch for Konosora in google and search for torrent of original game, instead of buy from the developer because Moenovel ripped H-Scene and if the restoration patch use on Moenovel version, it would mess up CG Display), since it may be about the length you expected. Oh, but if you want short and heartwarming one, how about True Remembrance here, short and quite heartwarming imo.

Well, hope I could help OP here.

1 hour ago, Deep Blue said:

if this is not heartwarming then I don't know what it is (spoilers ahead)

Reveal hidden contents

5pvjash.jpg

and In kana imouto you have the good endings where kana doesnt die.

YES YESEYSEYESYESYESYESYESYESYESSSS, I only cry tears of joy on very very VERY special occasions, this was one of them.

"Quartett" by Littlewitch is pretty heartwarming overall, with some cute heroines (3 in total), nice MC, and interesting atmosphere in alternate history. It's a very short game.

Sadly it manages to have its share of drama, it's not a very large part of the story but it's there and it's pretty distasteful (and also realistic).

4 hours ago, Okarin said:

"Quartett" by Littlewitch is pretty heartwarming overall, with some cute heroines (3 in total), nice MC, and interesting atmosphere in alternate history. It's a very short game.

Sadly it manages to have its share of drama, it's not a very large part of the story but it's there and it's pretty distasteful (and also realistic).

That reminds me of Period actually and I think it's kinda what OP is looking for (or the closest possible anyway). Though the 'True' route got on my nerves a bit. Other than that I think it's the definition of heartwarming. The art style is very much so a matter of taste, though I ended up liking it. No moe (that I recall at least). It's got a good length too, not too short, not little busters long.

Wait, Period has a True route? First time I've heard of it, are you referring to the canon

Asahi route?

Also, no moe in Period? Really? What about the Yukina route? (That also feels completely detached from the character as well as being terrible overall) What about Tsuzumi

becoming a loli in her ending?

It's long because it has 8 routes total, but some routes will make you cringe, inevitably.

1 hour ago, Okarin said:

now now, how dare you call lolification a terrible thing to happen, btw its overall cute & fluffy route leading to said ending. this is like a mans dream came true. undoubtably. yep.

Spoiler

as for i, yukina returning to the original form of hers weighted alot heavier on my mind, than tsuzumis body beeing re-lolisized. ...* they had so much fun than night...

4 minutes ago, XReaper said:

now now, how dare you call lolification a terrible thing to happen, btw its overall cute & fluffy route leading to said ending. this is like a mans dream came true. undoubtably. yep.

It is, and I liked it. The lolification, I think it doesn't add anything. It was there just because, so what. Besides I was talking about moe things and that is clearly moe. Forgot to mention Miyu that's like the game's main offender in that department. Kohane is also moe, but she's far more tolerable and more my brand of moe.