Frontwing announces a new VN, Corona Blossoms, that will be released in the West before Japan

Zenophilious

The problem is that after the hardcores who donate craploads of money stop showing up (they're far more likely to back at the start of a campaign), the rate of new regular backers is so slow that they'll struggle to make it to the goal.

I still think they'll earn a good chunk of the goal, though. And maybe things will improve once Japan wakes up? 

It's flex funding so they'll get their money either way and the game is releasing this july no matter what. If it bombs in the IGG, they just have to hope the steam sales make up for it.

In all seriousness, though... why is Corona Blossom so silly? Out of all the FrontWing projects, this is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. They made better games; they should more or less already know what kind of market to expect. I cringe at the sole prospect a game so shallow and dumb gets a joint release.

I swear, FrontWing will shoot themselves in the feet with this game; it's simply not something, majority of their fans expects for their first western release.

1 hour ago, Narcosis said:

In all seriousness, though... why is Corona Blossom so silly? Out of all the FrontWing projects, this is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. They made better games; they should more or less already know what kind of market to expect. I cringe at the sole prospect a game so shallow and dumb gets a joint release.

I swear, FrontWing will shoot themselves in the feet with this game; it's simply not something, majority of their fans expects for their first western release.

They've always sort of had two different styles since Grisaia. You have the more story focused stuff (HatsuMira, Island, Grisaia) and then you have their moege stuff (Yukikoi Melt, Pure Girl, Innocent Girl). Since they've started devoting a lot of their intention on the international market, they've now figured out what they're going to do with the moege stuff. Instead of making another title in that genre for Japanese audience, they figured they'd have the same staff do something for an international release (the scenario writer is the same person who did the aforementioned 3 recent moege titles). They also decided that instead of translating any of those three games, they'd be better off just putting the girls into a Huniepop-styled puzzle game. 

7 hours ago, Vorathiel said:

We should consider that one crazy person bought a shikishi for a 4000$, so it's 29 bakers, 1'842$ without it. :P

Now now, it's a custom shikishi. That's gotta be worth at least $5 more.
Edit:

2 hours ago, Vorathiel said:

I must say I'm kinda surprised about how few backers pledged by now. I thought that this somehow would be immediate succes, and that 30k would be tripled or something.
But that only shows how little do I know about VN market.

I'm reflecting on Decay's musing a month ago or so that maybe we're simply at peak saturation in the western market. Perhaps the beginning of the translated VN crash has already started, and we just mostly haven't noticed yet.

• 2 weeks later...

For this bump, finally they had time limit. The time limit left until closing was 25 days left, which coincide with Anime Expo. Oh, and by the way right now Frontwing managed to gather 13,356 out of 30,000. Well, at least the funding was stable for now even if it's quite slow for some people. That's all for update this time.

considering almost every backer has pledged only the minimum amount, it´s pretty likely of them being willing to do more should frontwing manage to upgrade their page like promised a couple of days ago, means more pictures & previews of goodies so people are able to decide what to back.

• 2 weeks later...

3 new CGs, one NSFW.

http://coroblo.com/en/gallery/index.html

Why do they make those characters looks like, they're some sort of people with disabilities? Just look what they do with their hands and arms. Nobody is holding anything in that (typical for moe vns) grotesque awkward way. It's like they do not know what to do. Like they read 'to hold it, put your fingers around bowl and gently squeeze it' but never actually seen anybody doing it.

Also - is it just me, but CGs are kind ugly? In this dinner CG, character on right looks...bad. Boobs in NSFW one also looks odd. 

37 minutes ago, Vorathiel said:

3 new CGs, one NSFW.

http://coroblo.com/en/gallery/index.html

Why do they make those characters looks like, they're some sort of people with disabilities? Just look what they do with their hands and arms. Nobody is holding anything in that (typical for moe vns) grotesque awkward way. It's like they do not know what to do. Like they read 'to hold it, put your fingers around bowl and gently squeeze it' but never actually seen anybody doing it.

Also - is it just me, but CGs are kind ugly? In this dinner CG, character on right looks...bad. Boobs in NSFW one also looks odd. 

They look fine to me. Maybe it's just being blind.

(I think they look very nice actually. HNNNG, that NSFW pic :wafuu: )

I think that is the first time I have heard of someone nitpick so much that they would complain about the hands of the characters looking weird :wahaha:

There are definitely minor technical problems with the CGs.

71ebf60431.jpg

Nice hand. :makina:

I think Vorathiel is also referencing the bowl of rice the dark haired girl is holding. As for why they're drawn that way, because art is hard. A lot of artists really struggle with stuff like hands (apparent here) and characters actually interacting with objects and other characters. Many eroge artists simply lack the skills required to depict those kinds of things properly. This game is by no means the worst I've seen at this kind of thing. The translated eroge that is possibly the worst at this is Otoboku, the characters in its CGs don't look at each other and when they're meant to be touching each other it looks super awkward and sometimes like they're not even touching, like in this CG where they're meant to be embracing and kissing. Coroblo has a little bit of this but it's not nearly as bad. It seems largely fine, although I disagree with the general aesthetics of the character design

8 hours ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

Meh, seems like needless nitpicking to me.

Just look at Higurashi crabhands if someone thinks they know what poor drawings are.

There are many different levels of art, just because there's something worse doesn't mean that this doesn't also have its faults. Going back to my example, Otoboku's art was massively distracting and actually brings you out of the experience by a significant degree. R07's art is different, it doesn't try to serve the same purposes so it's not as immersion breaking. In that sense, Higurashi's art was better for what it was trying to be than Otoboku's.

Now, Corona Blossom's art is largely fine, but there are still deficiencies. There's nothing wrong with pointing them out. 

13 minutes ago, Decay said:

There are many different levels of art, just because there's something worse doesn't mean that this doesn't also have its faults. Going back to my example, Otoboku's art was massively distracting and actually brings you out of the experience by a significant degree. R07's art is different, it doesn't try to serve the same purposes so it's not as immersion breaking. In that sense, Higurashi's art was better for what it was trying to be than Otoboku's.

Now, Corona Blossom's art is largely fine, but there are still deficiencies. There's nothing wrong with pointing them out. 

Nothing wrong with pointing out your opinions, but I think it's wrong to state it as a fact.

I honestly see nothing wrong with the art. It's probably just personal prefrences over actual faults in the CGs.

Well, because they are actual faults, lol. They're minor, but they're real. She's not properly gripping the rice bowl. I feel like such a weirdo for pointing this out so much since it's not really a big deal. But he rice bowl is just sort of hovering in her hand with nothing to support it, it's unnatural and wrong. 

Truly, this rice bowl controversy will tear our precious forums apart.

Actually, it's completely possible to hold such a small bowl like that. I mean, it's a bowl, not a ball. It's not like it's going to roll out of your hand as long as you just incline your hand a bit.

(Just tested it IRL, the bowl stayed put. Fuwanovel mythbuster, at your service. :makina: )