Frontwing announces a new VN, Corona Blossoms, that will be released in the West before Japan

Zenophilious

considering it´s no 5-10h short stuff, but some (supposed to be fairly long) trilogy instead & them trying to raise (quite) the sum via indiegogo is what worries me the most here.  personally i´m no confident in them even barely reaching a goal probably set somewhere in the 6 digits... (lower basegoal is pretty unlikely)

I looked over the website and have to admit I'm impressed. There's not an ounce of Engrish on there. Maybe they won't win any awards, but what I'm seeing there looks better than most official English translations put out by MG, JAST USA, or SP.

Add that to no red flags in the opening, story, or characters (aside perhaps from the, even by VN standards, terrifyingly large bust sizes of most of the female characters...), my enjoying the art style, and most importantly Front Wing's reputation, and the end result is that I'm looking forward to throwing money at this.

1 hour ago, Fred the Barber said:

Maybe they won't win any awards, but what I'm seeing there looks better than most official English translations put out by MG, JAST USA, or SP.

If you look closely, you'll see the character synopses are just a bunch of bullet points masquerading as sentences. It's sufficient, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's impressive. The story synopsis feels similarly mechanical, but not to such an extent (which leads me to suspect something I won't share with anybody right now. I'm just overly suspicious. And no, it's not any of the usual complaints.) The VN community will probably not care though, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to praise it so highly yet. (to say it's better than most localisations.) I know JAST used to put out some decent stuff, and MG's recent standards have been fairly high. We'll probably have to wait and see, I suppose - it's only a website so quality probably won't be thoroughly indicative.

1 hour ago, Fred the Barber said:

Add that to no red flags in the opening, story, or characters (aside perhaps from the, even by VN standards, terrifyingly large bust sizes of most of the female characters...), my enjoying the art style, and most importantly Front Wing's reputation, and the end result is that I'm looking forward to throwing money at this.

E-mote s the answer. You know, the bigger the chest, the better bounciness.

I wish I could be as happy as you about it, there is a lot of red flags for me. :D Even the pose and face expression of that clingy-liquid-metal-neko-girl character is enough for me to turn this down. ;p

2 hours ago, Rooke said:

If you look closely, you'll see the character synopses are just a bunch of bullet points masquerading as sentences. It's sufficient, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's impressive. The story synopsis feels similarly mechanical, but not to such an extent (which leads me to suspect something I won't share with anybody right now. I'm just overly suspicious. And no, it's not any of the usual complaints.) The VN community will probably not care though, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to praise it so highly yet. (to say it's better than most localisations.) I know JAST used to put out some decent stuff, and MG's recent standards have been fairly high. We'll probably have to wait and see, I suppose - it's only a website so quality probably won't be thoroughly indicative.

No, I actually did notice the lameness of the character synopses (though not with that level of insight). I read the story synopsis first, though, which I still think is perfectly fine (even if, if only a bit, comma-happy), and which colored my view rather positively. After that I was mostly just looking for signs of non-native speakers writing the text, which I didn't see any of. After going into it with the expectation of "absolutely cringe-worthy", I was pleasantly surprised.

Agreed that the quality won't be indicative regardless, but I'm mostly just happy to see it's not a total disaster (cf., ChuSingura)

48 minutes ago, Erogamer said:

Three installments? How lame, just sell the whole damn game at once.

Then they'd have to make the whole game at once. They'd have to wait much longer, possibly years longer, to start selling it and making money off of it, and we'd have to wait much longer, possibly years longer, to actually buy and play it!

Even the cat girl heterochomia heroine won't convince me to buy this... because I don't buy crap; especially if it's from Frontwing.

The premise is silly and I'm not really a fan of anything with exceedingly ridiculous moe levels, if it's not justified. That said, Frontwing is learning fast, very fast; the same is the pace they start to churn out 'decent' quality vn's; they're not yet as close in terms of speed as Winged Cloud yet, but who knows...

Oh you, Japan.

23 minutes ago, Veshurik said:

Hm... "We divide the game into three pieces, launch the crowdfunding company (let players pay for the development), and then they will pay three times for one game". Savvy! 

It's gonna be on igg... Flex-funding = they get what they can.

And they probably gonna use it to give out limited amount of physical copies(so they can sell them for more at AExpo or something in the future). They also already announced that the game WILL be released in english on Steam and 18+ patch.

12 minutes ago, Maxel said:

And they probably gonna use it to give out limited amount of physical copies. They also already announced that the game WILL be released in english on Steam and 18+ patch.

18+ patch is great, of course, and... I think that Frontwing becomes one else publisher with SP and MG (but as a developer of their own games)? And they trying to do all stuff by themselves. Interesting, will be some presents or cool merchandise of their titles?.. 

Also I wait "Island" on English, if they will release it, of course.

16 hours ago, Veshurik said:

Hm... "We divide the game into three pieces, launch the crowdfunding company (let players pay for the development), and then they will pay three times for one game". Savvy! 

This is only a valid complaint if the individual parts cost more than most VNs of their length and production value. We don't know yet what the pricing will look like.

Cheaper and shorter installments instead of a massive game in bulk might be one of the directions the industry heads in. There's a lot of benefits to this type of development. Anyway, treating this practice as a negative and saying it's like paying '3 times for one game' is akin to saying 'Robert Jordan forced consumers to pay 15 times for one story. He should have just sold the whole damn story at once.' Obviously a ridiculous statement. Decay is right in saying there are factors which will need to be taken into account before making a judgement one way or the other. There's nothing wrong with the practice, rather the implementation of this practice. We really don't know any details, yet.

12 hours ago, Rooke said:

Cheaper and shorter installments instead of a massive game in bulk might be one of the directions the industry heads in. There's a lot of benefits to this type of development. Anyway, treating this practice as a negative and saying it's like paying '3 times for one game' is akin to saying 'Robert Jordan forced consumers to pay 15 times for one story. He should have just sold the whole damn story at once.' Obviously a ridiculous statement. Decay is right in saying there are factors which will need to be taken into account before making a judgement one way or the other. There's nothing wrong with the practice, rather the implementation of this practice. We really don't know any details, yet.

I disagree. Whatever happened to selling the entire game like in the old days? It really is a rip off unless the total equals the price of one full game. Also, someone brought up the possibility that this could be a trilogy like GNK. That is something I have no problem with. I am sure you are going to telling me something like the industry has changed compared to the past. Well, change is not always good and this DLC game is getting way out of hand. I understand these companies need to make money, but when they get so greedy that that give us a partially completed product for full price then I call bullshit on that "practice".

The assumption being they’re giving you a partial game for the full price, which is possible but something you don’t yet know. They may even be trying to charge the West a similar price regime as the Japanese price (AKA trying to get the West to pay a hundred dollars a game like the Japanese do by splitting it into 3 games for 30 bucks each.) But when you start basing conclusions on a myriad of assumptions, it becomes a feeble conclusion which will only hold true only when a number of ‘if’ scenarios go your way. Maybe each instalment is as long as a full VN is? Who knows. Once more I'm in the position of advising people to hold their anger until the facts of the situation makes itself known.

As for the comparison to the past, well things were much different in the good old days. How far back do you want to go? The days when games were being made by 1 man teams in their own garage, at a price comparable to a pittance? Developers could take a lot more risks back then, but games cost far more to make than they used to. And each new generation of hardware and each new advancement in tech brings additional costs to the developer. Not to mention (needless) costs like voice acting. People seem to want the world when it comes to VNs, 1080p graphics, voice acting by expensive voice actors, animation, but these are VERY expensive (I should point out I'm a fan of old games, and view stuff like voice acting as a needless expense which raises production costs and potentially limits content.)

There has been much a little bit of talk that eroge companies in Japan may no longer be able to continue the practice of making long epics due to financial reasons (suggested by that Minori dev.) As in, eroge companies are on the cusp and a single failure may send them over. The alternative being shorter stories sold for perhaps cheaper. The other alternative is long stories sold in instalments, and what this means is partially getting around the substantial risk they face because there’s not as many resources tied up in that one instalment, and they’ll receive an influx of funds continually over the production cycle. I fully expect them to go this way.