The Real Places in VNs

Noumi Kudryavka

I know they use real places in VNs, especially those set in Japan. But some of them are quite far away. As I was playing ef. The First Tale. I suddenly recognized the place they were in, because I've been there countless times myself.

The anime has a lot of German in it. Makes sense as this background is the main square in Rothenburg, Germany!

Spoiler

vQ2JNhx.png

17987734-Rothenburg-ob-der-Tauber-Town-H

Does anyone else have any remarkable places to note that they've noticed?

If I'm not wrong, every 07th Expansion game, or at least the ones that matter, use real place pictures for background, so Umineko, Higurashi, Rose Guns Days are all in the real Japan.

I even recall seeing a post, I think it was on mangagamer, about the real mansion where Umineko takes place

7 minutes ago, Zenophilious said:

I know the town in Hoshimemo, Hibarigasaki, is fictional, but is based off of a real town called Otaru.  Steve (RIP in pepperoni) found a bunch of pics that are almost exactly the same when compared to background CGs from Hoshimemo.

Their other two games are too. I think AstralAir mainly uses locations in Sapporo.

7073445_orig.jpg?154

a0ilkfT.png

0rC6y0Y.png

KTks2N3.jpg

hDUA9W9.png

aL1RRes.jpg

I remembered seeing a website that had all of the places on it, along with locations from other games, but I couldn't find it. 

in ef they are not in Germany maybe they copied the astetic just for the looks because they are pretty but they not there, actually the place where they are is part of the plot

Spoiler

those are 2 cities, one is in japan Otowa I think it was.. and the other one in Australia, they are like a mirror cities created by Yuu which was the architect. It was like a cultural program created to give a little gratitud for Australia after that big earthquake, the one where Yuu lost his family and then went to the orphanage  and met Yuuko.

By the way some characters live in australia and some others in japan, like Miyako is from australia and goes to visit Renji to japan, 

19 minutes ago, Silvz said:

If I'm not wrong, every 07th Expansion game, or at least the ones that matter, use real place pictures for background, so Umineko, Higurashi, Rose Guns Days are all in the real Japan.

I even recall seeing a post, I think it was on mangagamer, about the real mansion where Umineko takes place

This it?

800px-Kyu_furukawa_teien_yokan.jpg

13 minutes ago, Chuee said:

Their other two games are too. I think AstralAir mainly uses locations in Sapporo.

I think Steve mentioned that also, I was just too lazy to try and track that down  : P

Katawa Shoujo's school is set  in the location of the ruins of Sendai Castle.

The school is set in the location of the ruins of Sendai Castle. I caught a bus up the hill to the castle site and then walked back from there to Sendai City (a long distance). After that trip I returned and wrote the detailed description of the school’s environment, and apart from a few changes to match the photos, they pretty much stayed. In 2015 Suriko actually went to Sendai and got a photo of him “being Lilly” in the exact same spot as one of the scenes from the game.

https://cplcrud.wordpress.com/2016/01/24/the-easter-egg-edition/

14 hours ago, Deep Blue said:

in ef they are not in Germany maybe they copied the astetic just for the looks because they are pretty but they not there, actually the place where they are is part of the plot

Reveal hidden contents

those are 2 cities, one is in japan Otowa I think it was.. and the other one in Australia, they are like a mirror cities created by Yuu which was the architect. It was like a cultural program created to give a little gratitud for Australia after that big earthquake, the one where Yuu lost his family and then went to the orphanage  and met Yuuko.

By the way some characters live in australia and some others in japan, like Miyako is from australia and goes to visit Renji to japan, 

Well, yes. I know it doesn't take place in Germany and that they rebuilt the city to European standards. But the fact that they used very well known towns and classic places from Germany ties in with the amount of German text they use in the anime itself. Other than that it has no ties at all and I kinda wonder why they went with the German text in the anime.

17 hours ago, Silvz said:

17 hours ago, Zenophilious said:

This it?

800px-Kyu_furukawa_teien_yokan.jpg

I think Steve mentioned that also, I was just too lazy to try and track that down  : P

HOLY SHIT

I knew Higurashi was modeled after a real village (same place was also used for Kara no Shoujo 2), but that mansion holy shit.

So Hitogata based on Shirakawa too, eh ? Interesting, although the shrine was different from Higurashi shrine though (By the way, in both of the games, the shrine was the place when the story advance). In any case, guess any people who come to Shirakawa and did something bad there could choose how they would be cursed lol (Either by having your stomach filled by creepy baby like clay doll or having you scratch your neck until it's bleeding. Although both of them was terrible of course).