solidbatman's Discord Channel

solidbatman

Hey, its free, my silly baka gaijen friends refuse to joint o save me from using Skype to game with them, so I figured I would open it up for you nerds. We can discuss everything! It will be just like the Fuwa Skype chat, or Ren's TS, except Worse!!! So what are you waiting for!? A reason? Fuck that, come lurk and complain about stuff!

https://discord.gg/0tKmzR8HlMiufV4A

4 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

First, you must explain why you chose Discord as your client of choice.

Down-Yesterday at 11:45 PM if he has shitty internet you guys should just use irc

Decay-Yesterday at 11:45 PM fuuuuck that

solidbatman-Yesterday at 11:45 PM except fuck that

Down-Yesterday at 11:45 PM wut

Down-Yesterday at 11:47 PM I find irc more convenient than discord or TS tbh (and let's not even talk about skype lol)

light and simple

solidbatman-Yesterday at 11:47 PM but

but

fuck irc

Decay-Yesterday at 11:47 PM the problem with irc, is that I don't use irc

which I guess was the problem with discord

but fuck irc

Decay-Yesterday at 11:47 PM so there

solidbatman-Yesterday at 11:48 PM irc is too silly and doesnt have voice... does it?

Down-Yesterday at 11:48 PM what can i do against such a barrage of arguments

3 minutes ago, Rooke said:

So from what I understand, Discord is a less harmonious form of TS used primarily by Gamers because ‘there’s no such thing as harmony in gaming. It’s a serious business and NOT A GAME, you know!’

I see. I see.

It's also free and really easy to set up your own servers. 

1 hour ago, Rooke said:

So from what I understand, Discord is a less harmonious form of TS used primarily by Gamers because ‘there’s no such thing as harmony in gaming. It’s a serious business and NOT A GAME, you know!’

I see. I see.

I read up on Discord.  It's aimed at professional gamers: specifically, it's designed to have very low latency and require minimal system overhead, giving players of games like first-person shooters a small advantage over their competition.  With their current business model, it's not clear how they're making money off this.

7 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

I read up on Discord.  It's aimed at professional gamers: specifically, it's designed to have very low latency and require minimal system overhead, giving players of games like first-person shooters a small advantage over their competition.  With their current business model, it's not clear how they're making money off this.

It was similar to teamspeak, except I could set it up for free. Only reason I opened it up to Fuwanovel was because the people I was aiming to use it with were like, "Whats wrong with skype?" ignoring the fact I told them it crashes constantly for me despite reinstalls :P

The problem with Skype is that it's optimized to be a phone replacement service, not a public chatroom or instant messaging service.  When Microsoft took over they closed the API, making the service inaccessible via 3rd party applications like Trillian which provide a better interface for IM conversations.  On top of all this, Skype prevents my PC from sleeping.  For all of the above reasons, Skype is the devil.

I've used Discord and I'm happy with it as a platform.

20 hours ago, sanahtlig said:

Another part of Discord is how they cloak the IP Address

Portions of the gaming community trolls tend to like to find people's IP Addresses (ESPECIALLY through Skype) and then DoS/DDoS them.  (The same trolls I suppose also like doxing people)

... Skype in particular is the worst offender of it

That's another part of Discord that professional gamers/streamers/etc like/prefer it over the alternatives.

EDIT: (also heh, it looks like slack... but targeted towards gamers)

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...