Kindred Spirits on the Roof Review and Discussion

Decay

Well being a huge yuri freak I'm really looking forward to this, but my backlog and school work is being a bit of a bitch at the moment :wahaha:

I've heard a lot of good stuff about it, and based off your review you share those opinions, so it's something I know I can look forward to at least.

Maybe I'll get around to it after my current projects.

I do wonder what the huge yuri freaks of the world think of Kindred Spirits, because it's very peculiar and not traditional yuri, eschewing a lot of the genre tropes. I tried to get across in the review that it was yuri that anyone can enjoy, even if you normally have a distaste for the genre. I do, and I loved it. So give it a shot even if you aren't a big yuri fan.

12 minutes ago, Decay said:

I do wonder what the huge yuri freaks of the world think of Kindred Spirits, because it's very peculiar and not traditional yuri, eschewing a lot of the genre tropes.

Hmm, well I'll certainly tell you what I think of it once I finish it. Sounds interesting.

" + A frank look at lesbian relationships, feeling neither exploitative nor preachy. "

I think this is very nice. It is pretty hard in any media to see homoafective couples not portrayed as whores or very sexualized. I still have to read Kindred spirits, but this detail made me more insterested :B

I read Kindred Spirits immediately after launch and I liked it a lot. 

Especially how straightforward and honest it is. It's lighthearted and funny when it wants to be it, but never goes over top. And then the subjects that require more delicate approach are handled very tactfully.

And I think it's definitely one the better, if not the best purely romance focused VNs I've read, despite and because of the Yuri. Pretty much all the couples put most of VN relationships to shame in terms of depth, which is pretty impressing considering how many of them there are. The little clumsy and realistically awkward romantic progression is not only very refreshing, but also very easy to relate to and feels really natural. I mentioned it somewhere before, but Kindred Spirits made me actually remember all the silly feelings that came with falling in love when I was younger. That's how strangely endearing it is.

I think Kindred Spirits does something really well when it doesn't really feel like a yuri game. The couples are formed because the characters really love each other, both being women is just a small part of it. It's just really good romance all around, I can wholeheartedly recommend it to pretty much anyone.

And yeah, Aki & Youka is indeed the best couple.

DECLARATION: Teabot does not Understand the concept of Yuri or gender.
FACT: Knowledge is Power.
DECLARATION: Teabot is excited to Read this visual Novel. Teabot will Learn new concepts.

FACT: New concepts Are knowledge. Teabot likes tea.
REQUEST: Please buy Tea. Teabot will sell Tea and knowledge.

8 minutes ago, Teabot said:

DECLARATION: Teabot does not Understand the concept of Yuri or gender.

I like you already :illya:

But yeah I still need to finish it, but so far the relationships is so relaxed and feels almost real which is a nice break from the usual melodrama and hetero pandering you usually see in VN yuri relationships.

great review.

"If what you want out of yuri is endless CGs of cute girls blushing, making out, and scissoring, you won’t find that here."
Dealbreaker

"In fact, it may be over ten hours before you witness the first kiss, and several  more hours before the second, with a little hugging and hand-holding in between.""
DEALBREAKER

"What Kindred Spirits does offer is a heartfelt story of personal growth and unlikely romance, more earnest and pure than almost any other yuri VN"
DEALBREAKER

"While there is practically no ecchi or fanservice, there are sex scenes."
SOLD!!!1@#

Actually there is a discussion of Yurirei in here (Created by me), but indeed there is no discussion so far and I forgot to bump it for a long time. Oh nice review, @Decay and I think I'll write my response to your review in my Yurirei thread later.

Edit - Nevermind, guess it's better to continue the discussion here (Although it's a shame though since I was the first who made the thread for this game lol. Oh well, too much OOT in that thread anyway. Not helping around the time of release that payment system from Mangagamer was down, and therefore limiting people who own this game at February).

For my response to Decay review in regard of negative point of this game, here comes. About seiyuu, I think the performance was fine, but double seiyuu could be a problem. For example when Maki was very angry to the student who said that she was very happy to use Miki and mock Miki thay she machosist, suddenly Maki voice sound like Lu Bu from Eiyuu Senki (Which Matsuri also had. Well the seiyuu for Maki and Matsuri was Oukawa Mio), although that's the most obvious example to me anyway. Other than that no problem, and I'd remember that I hope Liar-soft will release Full Voice version of this game to cover the first con of Decay review, because I also feel that the voice was too few (One review also pointed out the voiced scene wad only 5 hours iirc). But I guess it's still fine in the end, and since this game using one seiyuu for 2 characters, it could made trouble if they released full voice version, especially with little forced that the review mention. Oh, and you will hear the voice when there is a CG, so it's still fine since the CG was important scene.

For the 2nd con, maybe the writer almost burn out (Which sadly was major problem in regard of kinetic vn writing or any anime imo), but since it was only at October, it's still okay though. Also I'd read some comment back at VNDB in regard of the October chapter. My comment is that just because our MC was helping to blossoming love didn't mean that she will surely successed in love and will have no worry. In fact, I think there was many case that matchmaker could failed in their love live (Although I don't know much of it though), and also the matter that the matchmaker also confusing with sudden confession (That's the rational reason I could find and think of it. For more technical point, maybe it's VN writing tradition lol).

As for my comment, it was interesting game, each scene was quite short and the relationship was quite interesting. Oh since Decay mentioned Kouba, I remember that the song lyric that she wrote resemble desperate masochist scream lol. And for Miki, interesting that she like to help people because she didn't want to upset the people, rather than want to dominate them or want to prove that she useful (But it backfire on Miki since she was get used by people). One last thing for now, while Nena was always sleepy, you sure will had reliable ally if she didn't sleepy all the time (According to Umi). I mean with Nena capability to play with mixer and knowing that Sasa had flustered with Umi in regard of love.

I'll continue my comment later.

Thanks to the mod who did that

Just read the review and it was stellar. I have to disagree with @Eclipsedabout the nature of Yuri. A lot of Yuri is written by men and serves as some sort of fantasy thing, but those don't read well as a whole. I can understand the point about the story spinning its wheels at the end. These sorts of stories don't really have much plot to keep them going, so they tend to get a bit forced after a while. Don't really count voice acting as a positive, so to me it's not a con. Music isn't that important to me so I don't think I'd be affected by Tyrael's complaints either.

This looks like a real solid Yuri story. @Decay comparison with Flowers in the future

53 minutes ago, Rooke said:

Just read the review and it was stellar. I have to disagree with @Eclipsedabout the nature of Yuri. A lot of Yuri is written by men and serves as some sort of fantasy thing, but those don't read well as a whole. I can understand the point about the story spinning its wheels at the end. These sorts of stories don't really have much plot to keep them going, so they tend to get a bit forced after a while. Don't really count voice acting as a positive, so to me it's not a con. Music isn't that important to me so I don't think I'd be affected by Tyrael's complaints either.

This looks like a real solid Yuri story. @Decay comparison with Flowers in the future

Hey hey hey, I did not make any statement about the "nature of yuri" or w.e yuri should be or not be, that was just my own closeminded "has H-scene? I'M IN!!!" BS

:ryuusui:

1 hour ago, Rooke said:

Yuri is generally written by men for men, yes. I believe Kindred Spirits to have some degree of cross-gender appeal, though. So much of yuri is either a) "LOOK AT HOW CUTE THESE GIRLS ARE, AREN'T THEY SO GOSH DARNED ADORABLE??" as they blush heavily and act sheepish around each other followed by gratuitous sex or kissing (sakura trick, sonohana), b) "Oh no, onee-sama, we mustn't!" *blush* followed by them "growing out of it" and getting men after graduation (a lot of yuri side-stories in standard bishoujo titles),  or c) "Implications" without actual romance (Aoishiro, madoka magica). Meanwhile, Kindred Spirits is just about love, never really delivering on any of the above.

I am really inexperienced with yuri as a whole, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's plenty of stuff like Kindred Spirits I don't yet know about.

edit: There's a bit of a fujoshi character in Kindred Spirits, and there's a sudden bizarre bout of dissonance in one scene when she describes what yuri really is supposed to be about and what makes it great, and you realize that almost nothing she's describing applies to the VN you're reading.

10 minutes ago, Decay said:

I am really inexperienced with yuri as a whole, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's plenty of stuff like Kindred Spirits I don't yet know about.

I don’t know about VNs, but I sorta doubt it. I mean, in the anime/manga/LN field, two of the best yuri are still Maria-sama and Revolutionary Utena, and firstly some say they’re not technically yuri and secondly … they’re really old xD

Good yuri seems pretty rare.

12 minutes ago, Decay said:

edit: There's a bit of a fujoshi character in Kindred Spirits, and there's a sudden bizarre bout of dissonance in one scene when she describes what yuri really is supposed to be about and what makes it great, and you realize that almost nothing she's describing applies to the VN you're reading.

Lol. I want to read this VN more and more.