Starting a Fan Translation project (help)

Hello guys! This is my first post in this forum (loving it btw :D). Im pretty new to the VN world, I got immediately hooked by this genre of games and I would like to support them by starting a fan translation project of a VN that I've had an eye on for a long time since I started reading them. 

The only concerns I have regarding this are the following:

1- Could someone like me, who doesn't know a bit of japanese (I can understand spoken jap a little bit but can't read at all) start a Fan translation project? That being said I am looking for a way of extracting the scripts for the game to be able to translate it (game has 6 years already) and I could fill the position of what is called Hacker and Editor.

2- Is there some kind of website/post/thread that talks about how to manage a fan translation team or how to start a Fan translation project for newbies like me :P? I'm talking about how to set up an organized team to work swiftly in the best way possible and how to make the post thread of my project as clear and informative as possible so everyone knows how everything would be managed and the general info as well as attracting people to recruit (I do think there are a lot of people interested in entering a project but I don't know where or how should I post threads about recruiting people for one).

I hope that everything is clear, I'm pretty nervous because this is my first post :unsure:. I would love to hear your thoughts, since I'm lost and would like some advice.:D

The answer more or less is no. If you don't actually have any real programming/game hacking skills or translation skills, then starting a project isn't going to get you anywhere. There aren't any truly successful projects run by people who don't have any real skills of their own. Because what are you really offering that people can't do on their own? If it's a common engine, anyone can get script extraction tools.

19 minutes ago, Decay said:

The answer more or less is no. If you don't actually have any real programming/game hacking skills or translation skills, then starting a project isn't going to get you anywhere. There aren't any truly successful projects run by people who don't have any real skills of their own. Because what are you really offering that people can't do on their own? If it's a common engine, anyone can get script extraction tools.

The thing is, I do think that extraction tools wouldn't work for this engine since it has a pretty weird extension (its .yck), and as I said before, I could manage to extract the files but until then I'm not even thinking about proposing something. Thanks for the insight, friend! :D

37 minutes ago, Novel21 said:

I can't really answer your question since I don't know about translating VN.

I come here for to say at I love your avatar picture very much and I have one question.

What VN do you plan to translate?

Wow, thanks friend! Aizen is a cool character ain't he?

And answering your question, I was talking about Hoshizora e kakaru hashi.

Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi is not a very hard game to read/understand and has a pretty basic plot, so assuming you have decent translator on board, it's probably doable.
(It is kind or a boring eroge, though, so I personally wouldn't want to work on it)

I heard before that it ran on the Kirikiri engine, but I can't find any sources to confirm it.

Seems like Crass can extract it.

You might want to create a tool for YKS-files if you don't want scripts to be like this

Spoiler

d2e2f898af7bd5ba94c3a44a743b8ab4.png 

Someone also made tool for different game that uses same YKS and YKC files but it didn't work for Hoshikaka of course. It didn't seem like a too hard task to create the tool though.

Spoken Japanese and written Japanese tends to be pretty different. If you are going to be handling parts of the translation yourself, you are going to run into problems when you reach any part of the game that isn't voiced. Even on the parts with voiced lines, you will meet words and phrases you either don't understand or don't have enough of a grasp on, which could lead to the translation being done wrong. 

Even if the game itself is easy, starting a translation project before you know the language you are translating it from is a little silly. People are better off reading it with text hookers themselves if it comes to that.

That being said, if you aren't going to be the one translating, then yes of course, you CAN start a project. (Though then I fail to see exactly what it is you would be doing.)

That's just my thoughts on the matter.

Anyways, welcome to the forum, glad to hear you are enjoying it here! :miyako:

6 hours ago, Aizen-Sama said:

Hello guys! This is my first post in this forum (loving it btw :D). Im pretty new to the VN world, I got immediately hooked by this genre of games and I would like to support them by starting a fan translation project of a VN that I've had an eye on for a long time since I started reading them. 

The only concerns I have regarding this are the following:

1- Could someone like me, who doesn't know a bit of japanese (I can understand spoken jap a little bit but can't read at all) start a Fan translation project? That being said I am looking for a way of extracting the scripts for the game to be able to translate it (game has 6 years already) and I could fill the position of what is called Hacker and Editor.

2- Is there some kind of website/post/thread that talks about how to manage a fan translation team or how to start a Fan translation project for newbies like me :P? I'm talking about how to set up an organized team to work swiftly in the best way possible and how to make the post thread of my project as clear and informative as possible so everyone knows how everything would be managed and the general info as well as attracting people to recruit (I do think there are a lot of people interested in entering a project but I don't know where or how should I post threads about recruiting people for one).

I hope that everything is clear, I'm pretty nervous because this is my first post :unsure:. I would love to hear your thoughts, since I'm lost and would like some advice.:D

QiUxw2i.png

I dont wanna be a memelord but this just summarizes my comment and brings out the core of it. 

1. If you don't think you can understand enough, you're probably better off finding a translator instead. If you can act as the hacker and as an editor, then you already bring something to the table, offer that around and see if you can find a team.

2. Unfortunately, no. However, that kind of thing you'll learn as time passes and you find ways to optimize the work, it's a part of growing as a team I guess. Alternatively, I would suggest getting in touch with someone who already worked on a finished project, Dalbury comes to mind since he wrote a few blog posts about editing and talked a bit about the project he was in. When it comes to recruiting you can go around asking people to join your project, it's an alternative if you're not attracting much attention. As for the thread: just write down all the details you believe are relevant for the community to know and ask them what else would improve the thread, I'm sure people will share their thoughts and help you out. :P

Person do not know japanese. Person do not know how to do tech things. Person do not know how to do image editing. Person is not a native english speaker to be an editor. So why would anyone want such a worthless person on board, who cannot do anything for project? Educate yourself, man.

• 3 months later...

Just need to figure out how to get the Yuka Compiler Script to work so that I can start things on my end, if I actually am capable of editing it, I'd rather start with the routes first though, still waiting on that response to assist with the Hoshizora E Kakaru Hashi project, I already got the VN, just started at Episode 1

6 hours ago, Any said:

Just need to figure out how to get the Yuka Compiler Script to work so that I can start things on my end, if I actually am capable of editing it, I'd rather start with the routes first though, still waiting on that response to assist with the Hoshizora E Kakaru Hashi project, I already got the VN, just started at Episode 1

Just saw some of your posts. You seem to arrive pretty late at the things you want to apply. Be sure to check when was the last message sent, things might've changed :wahaha: