Pithy VN Descriptions

Fred the Barber

I'm trying to set the hooks for various flagship VNs with existing English translations in as few words as possible. I'm not looking for a summary, nor even themes. Rather, I'm looking for the hook: whatever sells the VN as appealing; the word or words you would always utter when explaining what a VN is about. The briefer you can say it, the better. The acceptable maximum is six words. Here's a few examples of my own (maybe more will come tomorrow; this isn't actually that easy, in general):

Comyu: absurdism and giant robots

Little Busters: friendship

Clannad: family

The rules are simple:

• the VN whose hook is described should be good (otherwise, why bother?)
  • the hook must be at most six words

So write one and post it. Six words is a hard limit, because constraints encourage greater creativity. I'm mostly interested in VNs with an English translation, but if you've got something to share, go for it.

Interesting topic, although I don't know if I could make it correctly though. But, let me try a few, although it may be come as overgeneralize though, and I'll also give my short comment about VN if there was a need in bracket.

• Beat Blade Haruka - Sex with your ninja (Although I'd interested because magical girl resemblance though, especially with transforming Haruka)
  • Yurirei - Yuri Cupid (It's one of the title chapter in game too)
  • Muv-Luv Alternative - Attack on BETA (Since it's said that MLA was the inspiration for Attack on Titan manga, might use BETA as replacement for titan. It might still wrong though)
  • Koichoco - School politic (Mainly in regard of election)
  • Steins Gate - Time travel
  • Kira Kira - Travelling All-Girl Rock Band (Although one of them was trap aka our MC though, and the music sound like J-Pop from some reviewer)
  • Soukoku no Arterial - Yu-Gi-Oh and Survival (Had card battle obviously (Better than Princess Waltz, go get Soukoku even if the narration patch right now was machine translated one), and the plot was trapped in another world)
  • Eiyuu Senki - Historical harem (You're in the world with all of major historical character were girl, and you the only man. Your goal was to conquer the world and got the girl. Go figure)
  • Never7 - The Moege of Infinity (It's first infinity series, and before the genre shift most scene would be not out of place in any recent moege (I think))
  • Ever17 - Escape from Underwater Park (Quite obvious, and the most famous of Infinity series)

I think I could describe all of those above. Feel free to correct me if those description were wrong though.

Awesome! This is actually helpful for something I'm working on, and I'm going to directly use a few of those.

Oh, and by the way, even if somebody's already done one, feel free to do it again. I'm betting this is the sort of thing where you can get a few completely different takes on the same thing.

A few more from me:

• Fate/Stay Night: Magicians and their Heroic Servants battle
  • Symphonic Rain: The rain never stops.
  • Deus Machina Demonbane: giant robot vs. eldritch horrors

Still working on a good one for Majikoi...

Actually, the text on the back of the disc release for the Steins;Gate anime does a fantastic job at this, and as I recall, the second one is used in the VN intro as well. I can't decide which of these is better, but I love them both:

• The microwave is a time machine.
  • He should have been more careful.

I was struggling with Gahkthun for a while, but then I realized what the real emotional hook of Gahkthun is, and a concise answer followed immediately:

• Nikola Freaking Tesla

If anybody's curious what inspired this topic, I'm putting together slides for my presentation (which is in only a few days o_O) and I wanted to use these as catchphrases for the part at the end where I'm quickly going through some VNs to build a little excitement. Here's a sneak peek at a few of the better ones that I've made so far:

Spoiler

TheRainNeverStops_zpszt1ziuwo.png

ReachOutYourHand2_zpswlyy5t6l.png

CatAndMouseThriller_zps9kxiikoj.png