Alpha Map: Would like Critiques

Hello guys! We are going to be finishing up our game map in a couple of days but would like to hear some commentary on where it currently stands. A little background. The Rift is a dimentional tear in which the interior is its own ecosystem. Its roughly 5 miles wide and has wildly different environments. Currently there are no landmarks but as you progress through the game, you will unlock locations. It is also in 4k so zooming in does not pixelate which will be a major factor when it comes to location art.

map%20Alpha_zpsguc7l8vv.jpg

It looks professional.  I'm not sure what sort of critique you're looking for.

From a lore standpoint I assume you plan to populate it with different creature types.  Be aware that from an ecological standpoint it doesn't make much sense to have distinct zones with their own flora and fauna if the entire thing is only 5 miles wide.  In fact, with a space that small it's doubtful whether a stable ecosystem could even be maintained.  It could be instructive to study up on the Galapagos Islands if you wish to introduce an element of realism.

Also, how is there a desert next to a lake with a river flowing through it?  Grasslands next to a forest?  A forest next to an active volcano?  Consider how these bizarre phenomena could happen within natural laws--and if you can't explain them through natural laws, then explain them with supernatural ones.

1 hour ago, sanahtlig said:

It looks professional.  I'm not sure what sort of critique you're looking for.

From a lore standpoint I assume you plan to populate it with different creature types.  Be aware that from an ecological standpoint it doesn't make much sense to have distinct zones with their own flora and fauna if the entire thing is only 5 miles wide.  In fact, with a space that small it's doubtful whether a stable ecosystem could even be maintained.  It could be instructive to study up on the Galapagos Islands if you wish to introduce an element of realism.

Also, how is there a desert next to a lake with a river flowing through it?  Grasslands next to a forest?  A forest next to an active volcano?  Consider how these bizarre phenomena could happen within natural laws--and if you can't explain them through natural laws, then explain them with supernatural ones.

yeah. The rift is an artificial reality which allows the people inside to prepare for anything that would be found on the outside (earth)

So the different fiora is engineered to be that way and the the volcano just recently popped.

With that being said, you make valid points on the topography. We will definitely take our time explaining the lands of the rift.

My first thought was... that it looks a lot like the floating island of Zeal from Chrono Trigger... I keep seeing in my mind rays blasting up through the bottom of it, obliterating towns and villages, exterminating an entire civilization in moments...

I approve, in other words. 

17 minutes ago, Clephas said:

My first thought was... that it looks a lot like the floating island of Zeal from Chrono Trigger... I keep seeing in my mind rays blasting up through the bottom of it, obliterating towns and villages, exterminating an entire civilization in moments...

I approve, in other words. 

lol