Biggest anime letdown?

spademan

Raging really hard right now, was watching zetsuen no tempest, and really started liking the anime, so i moved onto the manga to get more story going, and now that i've almost caught up, just got to the biggest climax where the entire manga has revolved around for 40 chapters(and there are only 42 chapters so far) , and it just completely let me down man...  I mean there was a chance for them to develop the story with a massive twist or something, but it feels like they just took the lazy way out and now  i sit here disgusted at how they can keep this series interesting for so long, and then just completely fuck over the reader. I've lost all motive to even attempt at continuing this series. Rant aside, what were your biggest anime or manga let downs that you've experienced?

Chuunibyou Ren. Oh my fucking god that ending. I did not know it was possible for me to jump out of my chair and scream in agony just from watching an ending scene. Not only was the show not very good overall (save for Shichimiya. God bless her soul <3), the ending literally flipped you the finger for sticking through all of it and just went "You expected a kiss scene? LOLNOPE". I have never witnessed such a decent show go from a 10 to a 0 so quickly.

Hyouka. I don't like Hyouka, but the ending is even more underwhelming than the already boring as hell show. I guess it is an accomplishment in some twisted way.

Aldnoah.Zero, specifically season 2. After melodrama followed by melodrama followed by giant mecha fights, what do we get? One of the worst endings in history, that's what.

Charlotte. You'd think it wouldn't be possible for a slice of life show about kids with super powers to escalate into a global mission about saving all the children while running away from a global terrorist organization. Well somehow Charlotte did it. Spoiler alert: It sucked.

Nisekoi S2. Basically discarded the entire premise of season 1 and adapted all the filler chapters, skipping over actual plot arcs in the manga. I hate Nisekoi S2 with a passion.

Koufuku Grafitti. It was my fault for being super hyped for this show. I thought I would love it since it's about cute girls doing cute things, but man oh man did this show shoot itself in the foot. Every episode followed the same exact formula, the characters were incredibly bland and the comedy was awful. I don't know how I managed to finish it.

Shakugan no Shana 3. "Hey, remember what made seasons 1 and 2 really good? Let's fuck everything up now and throw in every single plot element we can think of in a blender and turn it into Shakugan no Shana 3" - the author of SnS

11eyes. I don't even know what I watched, but it was interesting up to the very last episode where they completely fucked everything up.

There's many more I can think of, but this is already a fairly lengthy list.

I have to second Charlotte. I didn't imagine that a Key story would be so bad and poor written. I could not care less about every character and the plot.

Shigatsu no Kimi no Uso. I was hoping for a drama and ended with Gintama's level of comedy. I don't dislike comedy, or Gintama, but the way they sold the anime and the way it was done made me drop it very early. I started watching Hibike Euphonium at the same time and it was a thousand times better.

Code Geass: Love the premise, but I just have soo many issues with the endings of both seasons of Japanese Batman.

Ego Proxy: God damn did I want to like this anime. It is the only example of narrative, that I know of, in which scientific and theistic ideas coexist without talking down to each other. But, that horrible fucking ending that made zero sense. 

Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta: I liked the world and the aerial combat, but the character development gave me a headache, the story was retarded, and that ending.... waaayyyy to try and sell a complete and utter crippling defeat as a win.

I'll just second Aldnoah Zero. 

Oh, and Akuma no Riddle, though the whole anime was terrible, not the ending. They could've done something much better with the setting. It's like they spent the entire budget with art and endings and then decided to let some random guy they took off the strets write the plot for food.

26 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

Shakugan no Shana 3. "Hey, remember what made seasons 1 and 2 really good? Let's fuck everything up now and throw in every single plot element we can think of in a blender and turn it into Shakugan no Shana 3" - the author of SnS

The first OP of season 3 was pretty rad, though :miyako: 

LOLs how can anyone forget to mention Oreimo? RAAAAAGE.

Also Negima. I scanlated that fucking manga for almost 200 chapters and our group eventually died unable to finish it off... yet it had the most nothing ending ever thanks to the mangaka being disgusted with his company or something and decided to troll them instead by having an unfinished finish after 300+ chapters. Every anime adaptation of it has been woeful. The first one started out okay and turned to shit by season 2 and every one after that got worse. Only the occasional OVA was any good... hardly doing the series justice but who cares since it never had a real ending.

8 minutes ago, Kaguya said:

Oh, and Akuma no Riddle, though the whole anime was terrible, not the ending. They could've done something much better with the setting. It's like they spent the entire budget with art and endings and then decided to let some random guy they took off the strets write the plot for food.

Well, it isn't like battle royals are known for their life changing storytelling. Usually the plot only serves as a showcase for over the top fight scenes. Not saying that makes the anime good, but plot is rarely a priority in this particular sub-genre.

Although I found the entire mediocre experience to be worth it just for that ending, that was hilariously stupid. 

Psycho-Pass for me. Everything before the reveal of Sibyl system was fine. Everything after was more or less crap. I've said it before (possibly on here, can't remember), but I enjoyed season 2 more than the end of season 1. At least it didn't resort to using godawful twists in order to obscure the fact that it had nothing to say about the issues it raised.

1 hour ago, ittaku said:

LOLs how can anyone forget to mention Oreimo? RAAAAAGE.

yes! a million times yes! wtf was with that crappy ending?

another one i can think of is master of martial hearts. im sad to think one of my favorite vn artists, happoubi jin, had a part in making this anime. the ending is the worst ive ever seen to any anime.

1 hour ago, FinalChaos said:

Guilty Crown - with its high quality of art and music you'd think it would be great. But nooooo people decided that jumping between 3-4 writers during the show would be good. The inconsistency of the plot and the characters both was just ridiculous.

I'm glad someone else felt the same way. Can't believe people raved about this show... I gave it up half way through.

2 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

The whole light novel was also terrible. How horrible? Oreimo ending levels of horrible.

Ugh yeah. 

Well, I enjoyed some of them, but the last few was just ... Horrible. Wanted to set the writer on fire. In that regard the anime is a little better, as it saves you from the evil that is the last few books :wahaha: 

(Also, everyone, lay off charlotte! I liked it :kosame:  ) 

Anime letdowns ... Hmm... 

Akuma no Riddle. The anime itself is pretty good. Nice action, fairly cute shoujo ai. 

It even has a really good plot twist at the end, with the MC actually killing Haru in order to prove that she truly loved her, and wasn´t just being controlled. Then it just goes retard mode at the end, saying, "oh those people who died? No one died! Haha! We are all happy, no one ever dies, happy end! Yaay!" ... Seriously, what the fuck?

15 minutes ago, Arcadeotic said:

Date A Live S2 did go out of the theme it set out in the first season, but I liked the direction they went in

It gave Shido some more depth, which is a good thing and those glorious action scenes

The lack of Kotori meant S2 was inherently bad, regardless of what happened in it. :makina: