Fuwanovel: The solidbatman Perspective

solidbatman

>SolidBatman
>Nice

:wahaha:

In all seriousness tho, very interesting post. Would read more. After the torrents got removed I don't think there's even much history to be had so I don't know what else you're going to put in part two, but eh maybe there's more behind da scenes stuff that I've never seen. That Aaeru bate in particular sounds really interesting, so please elaborate as soon as possible :sachi:

On 3/6/2016 at 10:17 AM, solidbatman said:

Many of you know that I used to be a global moderator. Even less of you likely know that I also used to be a site administrator. For that reason, I got to see many of the changes happening to Fuwanovel behind closed doors. I was a part of some of the decision making that led Fuwanovel to where it is now. So, this post will be all about that jazz. This post will not be white washed. It will not be some Fuwa Propaganda. I have made many mistakes in my time on Fuwanovel, and in my eyes, so have other people. Please do not report this post, or censor it because you think I am insulting people. I am keeping this as respectful as possible. Now that the breading of this historical sandwich is in place, how about a little background as to why I joined Fuwanovel. 

Pretty sure people forgot I was an admin too lol (and a mod but people seem to remember that somehow)

This may have also been around the time as the IRC room AMApocolypse. Snotsuku, a resident troll, decided to intice everyone into spamming the forums with AMA threads. Oddly enough, this marked my early encounter with Zakamutt, as he and Kendjin both were slapped on the wrists for their actions and Snow faced a temporary ban. I do remember helping Tay and Ryoji sort that mess out (it resulted in a dedicated IRC thread, and the beginnings of the Games and Chatter board) but again, I don't remember if I was a moderator yet.

heh the IRC days (also username: Snowtsuku now it seems)

Steve and I, well, our relationship began crumbling at this time. We both had very very different ideas on how Fuwanovel should move forward. If memory serves, on of the first messy staff arguments was over a NSFW loli image being posted. Another early argument was over whether or not the forums should have links to pirated localized VNs. The loli debate pitted Steve and Aaeru against Ryoji and I. Ryoji and I were similar in that we were crass, loud, filled with profanity. Steve was... Steve. Condescending, and the type to put his fingers in his ears and go, "Not listening!" His walls of texts failed to address issues raised, which only served to make Ryoji and I even angrier. Aaeru just did not seem to understand at times what was going on, or was too timid to jump into the bloodbath.

I remember those arguments.  I don't remember specifics but I do remember that you and Steve debated on things a lot (Steve mainly with huge walls of text)

It was there the birth of Kaguya was witnessed. From spammer to global mod. Not before getting banned from the IRC for abusing frodo the bot. Kaguya was a crazy spammer. We even caught him liking his own posts to boost his reputation. Baby Kaguya just did not give a fuck, and that was part of his appeal to some I suppose. I don't recall if Nosebleed ever hung out in the irc room. He can let you know if he did.  Regardless, some shapign up happened and suddenly boom, global mod

TBH I blame ThatPlayer's bot for having rankings of how much you talked on IRC that got Kaguya, Zaka, etc to ... talk a lot.  it was amusing

Then again I sorta talked a lot of SC2 strategy to ThatPlayer and TheWingless (Forgot if Secchan was on IRC or not >.>)

Things were going somewhat smoothly, until Fuwapocolypse 1 happened. Aaeru kind of vanished around the same time, causing a massive headache for poor Tay. I found myself completely useless in the situation. I believe the problem was that Aaeru had pirated the forum software, and it finally caught up to use with a take down. Tay managed to raise some funds, and we purchased the legit copy that we use today. Nayleen was a huge help around that time, so I stepped down right about the same time he became an admin. I decided I no longer wanted to be staff for Fwuanovel. My constant fighting had helped nothing, and I just wanted to be done.

Something like that, yeah

Nulled forum software.

At this time, the original Fuwanovel blog, VisualNovelAer was sort of dead I think. There was the random post now and again, but it was dead and social media outreach was smallish. Aaeru's disappearance left Tay high and dry, and then came the second Fuwapocolypse. At issue was the fact Tay had been threatened with legal action. With Aaeru completely vanished, IP holders went after Tay for being in charge of the site. This resulted in Tay having to lay low for a while and severely limit his itneractions with the site. Cybersteel took over hosting the server and Steve became admin. That was a disaster. 

It's been like that because Aaeru was the main person who posted on it then.  (I mean doesn't the last 3 characters seem familiar?)

It's also around this time I probably got myself taken off the moderating team list myself (not because of legal action, but because of the possibility of it)

I will work on this more, adding more detail as I find some older posts with some of this action, and remember things better. For example, Grisaia and Clannad getting western releases caused some issues, and so did the final Loli Battle (which resulted in Steve finally leaving Fuwanovel and Sanah becoming the new defender of Fuwa Lolis  ) The rebirth of the blog, the birth of FuwaReviews, the death of torrents, and social media stuff will be covered in Part 2 when I do it. Also look forward to irc explosions, Original Ren's appearance, and other more member centric focused stuff. Maybe I'll even get into Aaeru nearly killing Fuwanovel for good. Was kind of swept under the rug for various, good reasons. 

I also remember sanahtlig arguing a bunch with Aaeru though.  walls of text debates from the past... I think I was also trying to get Fuwanovel to focus a bit more on oelvn's than torrenting around the time we were deciding if torrents should be around or not.

Also lol the IRC drama. 

And now back to semi lurking/being busy with other projects again... maybe