Has anyone played Sunrider: Liberation Day

solidbatman

3 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

The bulk of the game's VNDB ratings still sits in 9's and 10's.

#VNDB people. :wahaha:

Really hope this doesn't give too much of a bad rep to Love in Space. I really do think they did quite the good job on Sunrider Academy, and that game had a good 30+ hours in it, easy.

You rate games on VNDB too, so what does that say about you? :makina:

There's no crowd specific to VNDB, the entire western VN community contribute to the ratings there. So blame all of us, not just VNDB.

1 minute ago, Decay said:

There's no crowd specific to VNDB, the entire western VN community contribute to the ratings there. So blame all of us, not just VNDB.

I love how I'm the only person who has rated it a 3 and that is the lowest score at the time of this post.

1 hour ago, Decay said:

Yes but when I give a yuri game a 10 rating, it´s ok, because they clearly deserve it :makina: 

There's no point in looking at the VNDB ratings until after a week or two after something comes out.  The first few days seem to be all the annoying fanboys giving the thing they love 8s, 9s or 10s.  Give it at least a week and the score should go down to a more realistic level.

1 hour ago, Arcadeotic said:

Except the grinding and luck aspects.

Honestly, it's fine, but those aspects make it not fun at all

That is true, those parts were very annoying, but they had the waifu mode there so you could skip those parts completely. 

Would be interested in seeing a full review of Liberation day. Anyone want to offer their review services? :makina: 

Just now, Dergonu said:

That is true, those parts were very annoying, but they had the waifu mode there so you could skip those parts completely. 

Would be interested in seeing a full review of Liberation day. Anyone want to offer their review services? :makina: 

Well, okay

I might give it an another shot. Maybe.

I won't be playing that game anytime soon, so don't count on me

Well, to OP if you ask me, the answer was no. But since I'd read the critic in regard of short playthough and sloppy writing, it's probably right that the money was going to the Japanese staff. My comment that I think the staff was a little too ambitious with their hiring Japanese seiyuu and singer. Although to be honest they already try to limit the cost by hire the seiyuu who had debuted in this game, but some seiyuu was already had many role in Japanese game, named Nakase Hina (Asagi in nukige series Taimanin Asagi) and Haruna Ren (Sasa and Kiri in recently translated Yurirei/Kindred Spirit on Rooftop) which I think those 2 probably the most expensive seiyuu at Sunrider (I'd read somewhere that the more role seiyuu had, the higher the payment or so I'd heard). But I think while famous seiyuu had high cost, nothing could compared with the OP singer, Rita which other than seiyuu, she was singer in many VN OP (Any Liar-Soft VN OP, Katahane OP, and most famously Little Busters OP) and probably most of Sunrider budget goes to her, I think.

About the situation, actually it's quite interesting that OELVN developer willing to hire some Japanese seiyuu and hired famous VN singer to sing the opening. But I think they should make some refinement in the story and length, if the complain at Steam was believed. And lastly for the example, while I was joking that I want famous Japanese seiyuu voicing the character in Katawa Shoujo, until now it's still not voiced yet while the game was already accepted quite well in Japan (As of now, it got 80 from 64 people at erogamescape at this time iirc). From there I would like to thinking maybe Sunrider should add Japanese voice acting after they successfully exported the game to Japan imo instead of hiring Japanese staff to their OELVN (Or are they actually operate in Japan by the way).

Maybe I'll plat this later in some future.

As far as the VNDB ratings go I try to only rate things I've actually played. Assuming there's a significant number of people that do the same that leaves the ratings easily manipulated by fanboi's, etc. Unlike steam reviews you can't even verify ownership (not that steam reviews are much better with paid reviews, etc.) so in the end I'd take the ratings with a grain of salt. Honestly the number of votes and review threads are more meaningful then the actual rating number, imo.

Did they actually commit to having the Japanese seiyuu in any of their crowdfunding? If they did they pretty much set themselves up for failure as far as I'm concerned. I mean they'd have to write the script in both english and japanese from the start.

If they never made any such commitment then I think it would have been better to write the script in english, release the game, and then offer a voice pack that reflected the success of the game. If it was wild success then, sure, do the Japanese voices and OP. If it was moderate success that at least met their sales goals then stick to western voices or skip the voice pack altogether.

1 hour ago, EdwardWongHPTIV said:

As far as the VNDB ratings go I try to only rate things I've actually played. Assuming there's a significant number of people that do the same that leaves the ratings easily manipulated by fanboi's, etc. Unlike steam reviews you can't even verify ownership (not that steam reviews are much better with paid reviews, etc.) so in the end I'd take the ratings with a grain of salt. Honestly the number of votes and review threads are more meaningful then the actual rating number, imo.

Did they actually commit to having the Japanese seiyuu in any of their crowdfunding? If they did they pretty much set themselves up for failure as far as I'm concerned. I mean they'd have to write the script in both english and japanese from the start.

If they never made any such commitment then I think it would have been better to write the script in english, release the game, and then offer a voice pack that reflected the success of the game. If it was wild success then, sure, do the Japanese voices and OP. If it was moderate success that at least met their sales goals then stick to western voices or skip the voice pack altogether.

That would require common sense and not going the sensationalist route of "HERE GUYZ, WE HAZ JAPANESE VOs! BUY OUR GAEME PLOX"

Something Love in Space clearly lost when doing this release.

2 hours ago, br4zil said:

That would require common sense and not going the sensationalist route of "HERE GUYZ, WE HAZ JAPANESE VOs! BUY OUR GAEME PLOX"

Something Love in Space clearly lost when doing this release.

As space cadets in love are wont to do as they are about to release? I'm sure it's easy to get caught up in the moment and go with the flow, if you know what I mean.

"We're sorry the game was disappointingly short with a shitty cliffhanger ending and choices that didn't matter. Don't worry, this will all be rectified two years from now when we charge you $25 for the next four hour installment!"

Oh, joy. Well, they announced the free patch since then, so that's good. But again, how substantial is that really going to be? I doubt it will address most of the complaints.

Just a tip to Love in Space, people want their choices to matter when they're making them. Having your choices only affect what happens in the next game isn't going to make anyone happy. 

1 hour ago, Decay said:

"We're sorry the game was disappointingly short with a shitty cliffhanger ending and choices that didn't matter. Don't worry, this will all be rectified two years from now when we charge you $25 for the next four hour installment!"

Oh, joy. Well, they announced the free patch since then, so that's good. But again, how substantial is that really going to be? I doubt it will address most of the complaints.

Just a tip to Love in Space, people want their choices to matter when they're making them. Having your choices only affect what happens in the next game isn't going to make anyone happy. 

Pretty much that.

Now he even makes me ashamed of having bought Sunrider Academy. Jesus that post reeks of passive agressiveness.

He goes on as if putting a cliffhanger is a genious move and good story design, specially for a series where they have no ideia if they EVER will be able to produce the next game. And the massive railroading the last game seems to have justifies the overall dislike that many people have for the game now.

Also "We take your game decisions very seriously... <_<" One shouldnt use EXACT quotes Casey Hudson said about ME3, right after going on about "this isnt ME3!".

4 minutes ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

EDIT: My thoughts are out of order, I'll repost once my brain is working right :makina:

I saw your post, it's almost accurate but you forget that Sunrider is a game as much as a book. Gameplay balance and tweaking will (and should) take up a lot of time. RPGs, for example, it can take a year or more to get the balance right.

But you're most likely correct in saying his priorities were out of whack. As an Indie, Japanese voices and the like should be the last consideration. It will drastically limit content and the cost tends to be just too much to justify (in most cases.)

You're choices, morality, and affection matter! Oh, but we might not be able to import any of that. It's a new engine and programming is hard!!

Oh, and I like how he nonchalantly admits that this game isn't even a drop in the bucket story wise. If there are 4 planned games and this is the 3rd, you'd normally think we'd be close to 75% through the narrative. Yet he claims we're barely halfway thru! Ummm...