Jump to content
ittaku

Anime with ultimately satisfying endings

Recommended Posts

I'm in the anti-School Days club. Latter episodes are WTF. My records say I watched it on 2009, years prior to getting into VN world, and without knowledge about the work and its VN origins. But the conclusion of the story kinda disturbed me. Other people love it though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Okarin said:

I'm in the anti-School Days club. Latter episodes are WTF. My records say I watched it on 2009, years prior to getting into VN world, and without knowledge about the work and its VN origins. But the conclusion of the story kinda disturbed me. Other people love it though.

Thanks. If there's that much controversy over the ending I can hardly recommend it as an ultimately happy ending then. I'll leave it off the list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, spademan said:

Chivalry of a Failed Knight  isn't even over between the ln nor the anime!!!!!

 

I did think long and hard before adding it by the way. Look carefully in my opening post as it doesn't say a completed series but just a satisfying enough end. It's a matter of having a satisfying enough ending to an existing series. While ideally it's a series that has gone to completion with a satisfying ending, as a standalone anime series, season 1 of Rakudai definitely qualifies in my opinion. If they never get funding for the rest of the story in anime, it doesn't change the fact that season 1 (or the only season, depending on what happens) is ultimately satisfying standalone as is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ittaku said:

I did think long and hard before adding it by the way. Look carefully in my opening post. It's a matter of having a satisfying enough ending to an existing series. While ideally it's a series that has ended with a satisfying ending, as a standalone anime series, season 1 of Rakudai definitely qualifies in my opinion. If they never get funding for the rest of the story in anime, it doesn't change the fact that season 1 (or the only season, depending on what happens) is ultimately satisfying standalone as is.

yes but, when you look back ikki never actually got to go to the seven stars festival! although it did "end" nicely, it is not much of an satisfying ending when it is setting itself up for a season two, and especially with the fact that most of the deep plot revolves around the festival.

If you are going for endings based on seasons alone, then danmachi , fate:zero and sword art online season one pretty much fit this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, spademan said:

yes but, when you look back ikki never actually got to go to the seven stars festival! although it did "end" nicely, it is not much of an satisfying ending when it is setting itself up for a season two, and especially with the fact that most of the deep plot revolves around the festival.

If you are going for endings based on seasons alone, then danmachi , fate:zero and sword art online season one pretty much fit this.

I can't argue against sao (though I have reservations about sao in general for other reasons). Never watched FZ. Danmachi has the unresolved harem which makes me feel otherwise. Maybe I should split complete from incomplete series... it's just that ultimately satisfying series are rare enough as is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ehh, in my opinion SAO is only justifiable if you draw the line at just the Aincrad arc (not even a full season). The ending for season one was not gratifying at all, to me, to such an extent that I'm not even watching season two - I can see the way the wind's blowing. But maybe I'm just salty because the second half of season one made me a Suguha fan, despite her hopeless situation, and the ending did absolutely nothing to alleviate that despair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Ehh, in my opinion SAO is only justifiable if you draw the line at just the Aincrad arc (not even a full season). The ending for season one was not gratifying at all, to me, to such an extent that I'm not even watching season two - I can see the way the wind's blowing. But maybe I'm just salty because the second half of season one made me a Suguha fan, despite her hopeless situation, and the ending did absolutely nothing to alleviate that despair.

Dammit your taste is sounding more and more like mine. SAO went downhill after the 1st half of season 1. Season two was mostly crap. It hurts because that first half of S1 was truly awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Arcadeotic said:

Eh, other than that the 1st season was rushed, I have to agree.

But I also liked the 2nd season, although a little less than the first one.

But I still enjoyed SAO in its entirety.

Season 1 sort of had a rather happy ending, but it's nothing like the feeling you get at the end of the other shows I've listed. Season 2... much less so. So if I'm trying to compile a list of shows that give you that warm uplifting happy satisfied feeling, only season 1 might qualify IMO (fwiw I enjoyed first half of S2 as well but felt the melodrama of the second half was mostly pointless).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Arcadeotic said:

Well, yeah the 2nd half of S2 is pointless, but I like pointless animes.

One of the reasons why SoL is one of my favorite genres

LOL fair enough. I don't mind pointless either... given To Heart 2 is my staple from translating the VN and never goes anywhere in anime but I still love all the TH2 OVAs. But let's try and find more awesome endings for this thread at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some animes that meet your requirements after checking my MAL:

F/SN Unlimited Blade Works - It's not too long, enjoyable to watch with amazing animation and a happy ending that feels pretty well closed. I haven't read the VN though, so I can't compare it to the original story.

Gosick - Amazing mistery story that connects its arcs very well, with likeable characters and, again, a closed happy ending.

Nagi no Asukara - A lot of slice of life and romance, so the story has a lot of ups and downs, but it ends well.

Hanasaku Iroha - Slice of life again. The ending is not AS closed compared to the other recommendations, but it is happy.

The one I'd probably recommend the most is Gosick. It's enjoyable all the way through and it left me with a nice feeling of completion; I wouldn't ask for more episodes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ike said:

Some animes that meet your requirements after checking my MAL:

F/SN Unlimited Blade Works - It's not too long, enjoyable to watch with amazing animation and a happy ending that feels pretty well closed. I haven't read the VN though, so I can't compare it to the original story.

Gosick - Amazing mistery story that connects its arcs very well, with likeable characters and, again, a closed happy ending.

Nagi no Asukara - A lot of slice of life and romance, so the story has a lot of ups and downs, but it ends well.

Hanasaku Iroha - Slice of life again. The ending is not AS closed compared to the other recommendations, but it is happy.

The one I'd probably recommend the most is Gosick. It's enjoyable all the way through and it left me with a nice feeling of completion; I wouldn't ask for more episodes.

Thanks very much. Nagi no Asukara is already on the list (A lull in the sea) but I'll add the others. I'd already started gosick so this makes me happy :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Berserk ;D (じょうだんだよ!)

now seriously full metal panic and second raid that ends in a super ultra happy ending. I don't know if you want to include fumoffu which is an stand alone with mostly comedy .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Deep Blue said:

Berserk ;D (じょうだんだよ!)

now seriously full metal panic and second raid that ends in a super ultra happy ending. I don't know if you want to include fumoffu which is an stand alone with mostly comedy .

Well they are indeed great shows, but... unresolved harem as per top post (I know it's an action series but it's still a harem). Oh and no way would I call fumoffu's ending ultimately happy or satisfying (though I never knew a hair cut could be so erotic).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ittaku said:

Well they are indeed great shows, but... unresolved harem as per top post (I know it's an action series but it's still a harem). Oh and no way would I call fumoffu's ending ultimately happy or satisfying (though I never knew a hair cut could be so erotic).

come on they clearly state that they are going to end up together... that is ultra cheesy and happy D: second raid is not harem at all in fact is really depressing the first part well yep it is kinda

btw kaname <3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Deep Blue said:

come on they clearly state that they are going to end up together... that is ultra cheesy and happy D: second raid is not harem at all in fact is really depressing the first part well yep it is kinda

LOL make up your mind. Well yeah they both deserve to be in the top post (but not fumoffu). BTW there's a new season finally scheduled. I'll fap to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ittaku said:

LOL make up your mind. Well yeah they both deserve to be in the top post (but not fumoffu). BTW there's a new season finally scheduled. I'll fap to that.

what I tried to say was :

Full metal panic! = it's harem, I agree with you but
Full metal panic the second raid is not harem at all (and is the continuation of full metal panic), in fact there is no comedy or at least I don't remember any, also it's always about kaname and sousuke, it is sad buuuut the ending is really happy and it fits with "satisfying endings that make you happy to have watched a series right through to the end"
fumoffu I don't think it can be included

I didn't know there was another season scheduled :o 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Deep Blue said:

what I tried to say was :

Full metal panic! = it's harem, I agree with you but
Full metal panic the second raid is not harem at all (and is the continuation of full metal panic), in fact there is no comedy or at least I don't remember any, also it's always about kaname and sousuke, it is sad buuuut the ending is really happy and it fits with "satisfying endings that make you happy to have watched a series right through to the end"
fumoffu I don't think it can be included

I didn't know there was another season scheduled :o 

Don't want to throw in too many spoilers (for the remaining one person on the planet who hasn't watched this masterpiece) but there most definitely was romantic interest in S2 (remember Chidori going to China?). And let's not forget the OVAs for S2+.

New season (basically no details yet):

http://anilist.co/anime/21451/FullMetalPanic!%28Shinsaku%29

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×