Anime with ultimately satisfying endings

ittaku

Aishiteruze Baby - the anime itself isn't really good, but I thought it was really enjoyable.

Busou Renkin - from the same author that did Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X in the West). It's pretty loyal to the manga. The story itself has some flaws, but it's decent overall. Oh, be aware that it is action oriented.

InuYasha - if we consider the Kanketsu-hen that was only produced 6 years after the ending of the first season. It is also action oriented.

Love Hina - although the anime's ending didn't really have a closure, the OVA that followed it (Love Hina Again), although rushed, put an ending to the story. I still prefer the manga's ending, though.

All of those anime's endings fall under the kind of ending you described in the OP, imo.

Edited by vkalvkal

10 hours ago, vkalvkal said:

Aishiteruze Baby - the anime itself isn't really good, but I thought it was really enjoyable.

Busou Renkin - from the same author that did Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X in the West). It's pretty loyal to the manga. The story itself has some flaws, but it's decent overall. Oh, be aware that it is action oriented.

InuYasha - if we consider the Kanketsu-hen that was only produced 6 years after the ending of the first season. It is also action oriented.

Love Hina - although the anime's ending didn't really have a closure, the OVA that followed it (Love Hina Again), although rushed, put an ending to the story. I still prefer the manga's ending, though.

All of those anime's endings fall under the kind of ending you described in the OP, imo.

Thanks. I absolutely adore Love Hina myself, however Love Hina Again is not just okay, it's below average and unfortunately a terrible way to end a brilliant original series so that even though Love Hina is one of my all time favourite series, I couldn't bring myself to include it in the list myself.

Please guys, you'd have to be truly slow in order to not understand what ending Ittaku wants. 

Spoiler

Guilty crown, Guren lagann, Katanagatari is NOT the right animes for him. Romantic setups where the love interest dies in the end is NOT considered a happy and fulfilling ending, even though it might have good action. Gurenn lagenn especially, it's like some utsuge where he just abandons everything and lives like a bum for the rest of his life.

On 2/1/2018 at 12:04 AM, Stormwolf said:

Romantic setups where the love interest dies in the end is NOT considered a happy and fulfilling ending

Well, I for one believe that those kind of endings can still be pretty fulfilling. I do understand that's not what he's looking for, and I have to respect that.. but in VN terminology, there is a line, fine though it might be, between nakige and utsuge. Sad and satisfying endings DO exist, even though both qualities are mostly subjective, but at least in one person's mind both can coexist :leecher:

I'll suggest Shinsekai Yori. It has not exactly a happy ending... but it's satisfying in a way in its own right. It really makes you think and concludes the story majestically. It's not that it's incredibly sad either, so I think it might be fitting... though I dunno, I'm one of those utsuge fuckers who wallow in sadness, so take any recommendation from me with a grain of salt.

Edited by Thyndd

I do partially agree about the fulfilling bit. I mean, a relationship isn't really all that fulfilling when cut short because your partner dies after a few years now is it? but i'll agree about the relationship being fulfilling while it lasts. It's a utsuge trait i believe to have the absolute best of everything and everything just seems to so good, often being the absolute best written romance you'll find.. Until it all crashes and burns. At least the utsuge i've read adds some despair to them. Nakige though is someting i like, because it usually ends with some asspull (which i often don't mind) which gives the story a happy ending.

It's one thing to like something, another to know what others usually like. I hope we don't see guro lovers recommending romantic guro vn's when someone is asking for good romance. After some recommendations it wouldn't surprise me though :lol:

Edited by Stormwolf

23 hours ago, Thyndd said:

I'll suggest Shinsekai Yori. It has not exactly a happy ending... but it's satisfying in a way in its own right. It really makes you think and concludes the story majestically. It's not that it's incredibly sad either, so I think it might be fitting... though I dunno, I'm one of those utsuge fuckers who wallow in sadness, so take any recommendation from me with a grain of salt.

As good a series as Shinsekai Yori was, it was a mindfuck and not remotely an ultimately happy ending. Heck you said it's not exactly a happy ending yourself. My opening post was pretty clear, it should be an ultimately satisfying AND happy ending.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Archangel said:

Garo: Carved Seal of Flames (or known by its awful localized name: GARO: The Animation)

Leon's character arc is amazing and REAL, German is hilarious, Ema is a badass, one of the best out there.

The Dub isn't that bad either.

Thanks. I haven't watched it so I'll add it to the other recommendations.

53 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

How is this anime? I've been meaning to watch it for a while but I don't know if I'd like it.

It covers a huge story in a relatively small amount of screentime, so it feels horribly rushed, especially in the first episodes. We learn very little about the characters and just jump from one situation to another in an awkward manner, mostly seeing battles and more dramatic events, skipping the character development and more casual moments that would normally be there (with a lot of visible time-skips). The protagonist is bland (although the female mage who sets the whole plot in motion is quite a cool character) and motivations of the most important characters are questionable, but it has its entertainment value with how it portrays war and politics - it's properly grim and violent, even if it ends positively (haven't seen the last episode yet).

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

6 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

How is this anime? I've been meaning to watch it for a while but I don't know if I'd like it.

I think @Plk_Lesiak is pretty close to the mark. It has very grand ambitions and the original material obviously was a lot more fleshed out than the anime was. The anime has some very shaky moments, including some bad production even, and feels rushed despite having 24 episodes - I think there's enough material there for 4 seasons, not just 2. Nonetheless when it hits its mark it is very touching and satisfying, with some gruesome moments and is relentless in its treatment of characters, but satisfies the criteria for an ultimately satisfying ending. I gave it a 7/10, good overall and certainly don't feel I wasted my time... but then I watch an awful lot of anime. It's a bit like sousei no onmyoji, flawed but satisfying.