Anime with ultimately satisfying endings

ittaku

7 minutes ago, Deep Blue said:

And why is having a romantic interest (again it is between kaname and sousuke this time) a bad thing? clannad is all about that, specially the first part which you have like 8 girls trying to hit the same guy xD then after story is about nagisa but still is a love story.

It seems to me you don't love kaname as much as I do :amane:

Now I'm hyped for the new season :P 

Woah woah woah don't get me wrong - romance is by far and away my most preferred genre, and I'm pretty sure I've fapped to Chidori myself. I've got these on BD (even though they are lousy upscales). I was just saying it's still a harem, even if it's only barely a background feature (except in the OVA).

I'd also like to see Mikakunin de Shinkoukei added to the list. I consider this anime a hidden gem. It's surprisingly difficult to predict, highly enjoyable, and has a wonderful ending. It's the rare kind of rom-com you ever get to see anymore, and I've yet to find any new anime in the genre that compare to it.

The story doesn't really conclude in the 1st season, but it is very satisfying. The male lead is really good in this too.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/20541/Mikakunin_de_Shinkoukei

8 hours ago, Kenshin_sama said:

I'd also like to see Mikakunin de Shinkoukei added to the list. I consider this anime a hidden gem. It's surprisingly difficult to predict, highly enjoyable, and has a wonderful ending. It's the rare kind of rom-com you ever get to see anymore, and I've yet to find any new anime in the genre that compare to it.

The story doesn't really conclude in the 1st season, but it is very satisfying. The male lead is really good in this too.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/20541/Mikakunin_de_Shinkoukei

I didn't mind that series Engaged to the Unidentified, and the end was pretty good but I can't say I'd put the ending in the same category as the ultimately satisfying ones listed here.

3 hours ago, ittaku said:

I didn't mind that series Engaged to the Unidentified, and the end was pretty good but I can't say I'd put the ending in the same category as the ultimately satisfying ones listed here.

Eh, I probably am biased on this. Good rom-coms are hard to come by, which is why I hold this one in high regard. It was one of those shows that kept me consistently entertained and had a pairing I could actually give a damn about. The last few episodes had some fantastic direction too. Well, there was a little bit of an issue with character insertion in one area, but no big deal.

I also kinda have personal disagreements with some of the anime on your list too (FMAB, Eureka 7, Shakugan no Shana, and Kanon 2006), and thought Mikakunin was more satisfying than them. I have one other friend who considers it special as well.

14 minutes ago, Kenshin_sama said:

Eh, I probably am biased on this. Good rom-coms are hard to come by, which is why I hold this one in high regard. It was one of those shows that kept me consistently entertained and had a pairing I could actually give a damn about. The last few episodes had some fantastic direction too. Well, there was a little bit of an issue with character insertion in one area, but no big deal.

I also kinda have personal disagreements with some of the anime on your list too (FMAB, Eureka 7, Shakugan no Shana, and Kanon 2006), and thought Mikakunin was more satisfying than them. I have one other friend who considers it special as well.

Well that's how taste is. I guess I can add your show to the "others" recommended list, even though I've seen it myself and wouldn't include it in my own list.

EDIT: Done. I've changed the category to explain why it's others. I feel similar for example about One Week Friends - a wonderful show and while the ending was pleasing in its own way, I did not feel ultimately satisfied  since >spoilers go here< damn still no spoiler tags. I'd still recommend watching both shows, I just wouldn't give them that ultimate tag.

Just now, ittaku said:

Added railgun. I remember enjoying Index as well, but didn't recall having that ultimately satisfied feeling at the end, but it was also a long time ago.

Both seasons of railgun are more "tightly" written than Index and have very satisfying endings that are built from earlier arcs of the show. I definitely like Railgun allot more than Index.

I added a link to the list of my anime in the top post (I use ANN) just for reference, but unfortunately my list is incomplete since I didn't start it when I first started watching anime 20 years ago. I'm trying to remember and add to it over time.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/MyAnime/?user=#844923&categ=3

I've also added Angel Beats since other people found it satisfying into the others group, even though I didn't find the ending that happy myself... it's more of the sort of positive sombre ending for me which doesn't fill my criteria.

Added Beyond the Boundary (aka Kyoukai no Kanata) after just finishing that, and (the ancient) Crest of the stars after remembering it.

EDIT: Btooom! is proving hard to watch. Even if it may have a happy ending, the main story is just too gruesome to enjoy :|

Added Hanayamata after just finishing that and remembered Absolute Duo and Amagi Brilliant Park from the other thread and added that. Not sure if I'll be able to watch btoom through...

EDIT: Moved K-On to my list as well. I've only watched season 1 so far but it definitely fits the criteria on that season.

EDIT2: Added Gate and Heavy Object which just finished

Edited by ittaku

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the first season of Iron Blooded Orphans, and I gotta say, the ending was very satisfying. Honestly, i'd be fine if they weren't making a second season, since most of everything gets wrapped up with a nice little bow by the end of the first. 

On 29/3/2016 at 11:21 AM, Mugi said:

Just finished the first season of Iron Blooded Orphans, and I gotta say, the ending was very satisfying. Honestly, i'd be fine if they weren't making a second season, since most of everything gets wrapped up with a nice little bow by the end of the first. 

Not my genre but I appreciate the recommendation so I'll add it to the others at the top, thanks.

EDIT: Added Strike Witches after recalling the great ending to S2 since there'll be a spin off starting soon.

2 hours ago, RinXD said:

Your Lie in April

Chunnibyou

Black Lagoon

Gundam Unicorn

Gundam 0083 War in the pocket

Record of a Lodoss war

Rose of Versailles

Another

Tokyo Ravens

Darker than black

Chrome Shelled Regios

Hellsing Ultimate

Witchblade

Elfen Lied

Thanks for the extensive list to add!

The only ones I've watched from there are the first two and unfortunately I have to disagree with both of them as having ultimately satisfying endings :(

Note on my opening post I said HAPPY endings and while Your lie in april is complete, the ending is a shocker and not remotely what any sane person would call happy. As soon as she started hinting at hospital visits I knew which way the story was going, and I kept hoping for a better ending but no... I was shattered and this is precisely the sort of show I wish I'd never watched.

Chuunibyou was a great show but the lack of progression of their relationship in an obvious form in the real world, instead of implied by their contract was a massive let down.

Since I don't know the other shows I can't comment. Given my elaboration of what I said in the top post about what qualifies as ultimately satisfying if you still think the others qualify in light of my caveat I can go ahead and add them to the "others" list.

• 2 weeks later...

Excel saga ended with a very satisfying ending. Called going to far and couldn't air on t.v. I had no idea what I watched which is exactly what Excel Saga is. One of my favorite Anime's was Railgun and it ended great with a possibility of a 3rd season. Kore Zombie another favorite ended alright  considering it shifted from the LN's plot.

*spits out blood* Doctor told me not to give opinions on shows.

The Madoka Magica series, particularly Rebellions ending. From what I've seen most people either hated the ending or were conflicted. For me it was a mix of loving it and being conflicted since I want their to be more (and there might be more). There aren't many endings where a villainous protagonist wins and everything ends badly for everyone else. Well there's Jormungand kind of but they don't show exactly what happens.

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/5/2016 at 2:51 PM, RinXD said:

Elfen Lied

I'm honestly kinda surprised to see Elfen Lied brought up in this thread. The level of satisfaction is debatable in the manga since it's a bittersweet ending, but the ending in the anime is frequently regarded as the worst part of the series. Not only does it completely deviate from the manga at that point, but it doesn't give a proper conclusion to the story. I don't particularly care about it personally, but I know a lot of people that were bothered by the pacing in the episode too.

Added Brighter than the dawning blue and AmagamiSS to my list, and added Kaichou wa maid sama and Maison Ikkoku to the others' list (though I plan to see them myself and they will graduate to my list).

47 minutes ago, Kenshin_sama said:

I'm honestly kinda surprised to see Elfen Lied brought up in this thread. The level of satisfaction is debatable in the manga since it's a bittersweet ending, but the ending in the anime is frequently regarded as the worst part of the series. Not only does it completely deviate from the manga at that point, but it doesn't give a proper conclusion to the story. I don't particularly care about it personally, but I know a lot of people that were bothered by the pacing in the episode too.

Elfen Lied's ending is controversial enough that I won't put it on the list myself. I'd prefer it if most people find the ending satisfying rather than some.

On 3/5/2016 at 4:59 AM, ittaku said:

I'm trying to collate a list of anime series with those sort of ultimately satisfying endings that make you happy to have watched a series right through to the end, and the ending is complete enough that you know that a sequel isn't necessary to feel fulfilled. I'm only interested in shows with HAPPY endings, not kinda positive sombre ones, and no unresolved freaking harems. I want the sort of endings that make you feel a little depressed that the show is over but happy with the conclusion. The shows themselves don't even need to be awesome, but to have a very good ending which makes it better overall. More marks if they brought tears (of joy) to your eyes. Now I realise that people's opinions on what constitutes a satisfying ending will be vastly different from person to person and that's okay, but if you wish to debate the reasons something may not be ultimately satisfying, please put it in spoiler tags. Successful romance is a big plus but not essential. I don't remotely claim to have watched all anime ever so one of my main reasons for doing this is to find other shows to watch - since my bias is towards romances there's likely a lot of action shows I'm missing here.

Here's a list off the top of my head. I'll add more as I remember, and I might add other people's to this top post if we start getting some consensus. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you have!

Here's a link to my completed anime that I can remember. My list is incomplete since I didn't start it when I first started watching anime 20 years ago...:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/MyAnime/?user=Ittaku&categ=3

The first on the list is not listed alphabetically because it's my reference for the greatest anime ever on all levels so gets a special mention. The rest is alphabetical.

• Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
  • Absolute Duo
  • AmagamiSS
  • Amagi Brilliant Park
  • Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm
  • Beyond the Boundary
  • Brighter than the dawning blue
  • Cardcaptor Sakura
  • Castle Town Dandelion
  • A Certain Scientific Railgun
  • Chivalry of a Failed Knight
  • Chobits
  • Crest of the Stars + Banner of the Stars
  • Cross Ange
  • Cross Game
  • Eureka 7
  • Full Metal Panic + TSR
  • GATE
  • Girls und Panzer
  • Golden Time
  • Hanayamata
  • Heavy Object
  • Kaleido Star
  • Kanon2006
  • Kobato
  • K-On
  • Last Exile
  • Lovely Complex
  • A Lull in the Sea
  • Maria the Virgin Witch
  • My Bride is a Mermaid
  • My-Hime
  • My Love Story
  • Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu
  • Planetes
  • Please Teacher
  • Princess Tutu
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magica
  • Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
  • Shakugan no Shana
  • Snow White with Red Hair
  • Sound! Euphonium.
  • Strike Witches
  • ToraDora
  • Wagnaria!!
  • Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches
  • Zero no Tsukaima

Recommended by others (either I haven't seen them or they recommended them but I wouldn't include them in my list):

• Angel Beats
  • Clannad
  • Engaged to the Unidentified
  • F/SN Unlimited Blade Works
  • Gosick
  • Guilty crown
  • Gunbuster/Diebuster
  • Gundam Build Fighters
  • Kara no Kyoukai
  • Haibane Renmei
  • Hanasaku Iroha
  • Higurashi
  • Kaichou wa maid sama
  • Katanagatari
  • Little Busters
  • Maison Ikkoku
  • Mari Mite
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
  • Parasyte
  • Steins;Gate
  • Turn A Gundam
  • Welcome to the NHK

Overall nice and helpful list, but why do you have titles like absolute duo and chivalry of a failed knight when neither the ln's or anime are finished? Also could add shiki