3/4 - Bugs Reporting

Unfortunately some changes were made in the forums ACP by mods which has caused some bugs and destabilization of certain forums and front site features. If you run into bugs in the next few days, please report them here. You'll probably see the bugs most commonly while reading or posting new threads.

Update (3/5 7:52 PM EST): Turns out the forums issues we were seeing were almost universally not related to the mods' changes in the ACP. I'm currently looking into whether or not the site was attacked. In the meantime, however, everything seems to be back up and running.

The forum breaking is real.

I did turn on the public announcement plugin because it was causing an error for everyone when it was turned off, making it impossible to dismiss the message.

Other than that I just assigned a couple of people as chat mods.

If just this can break the whole forum, I don't know anything anymore!

[2016/03/04 20:52:12 | Edited 20:56:04] 妹ちゃん: I wanted to ask if it was okay for me to rename the group to just "Fuwachat Mods" ?
[2016/03/04 20:52:43 | Edited 20:56:12] 妹ちゃん: I don't think it affects anything but I wanted to ask just in case
[2016/03/04 23:42:16] Archmage Tay: The way I have integrated forums groups to the front site is actually pretty specific, and adding another primary group is not something we should do just yet
[2016/03/04 23:42:44] Archmage Tay: ah
[2016/03/04 23:42:47] Archmage Tay: looks like you already did it
[2016/03/04 23:43:03] Archmage Tay: k, well, this is the sort of stuff you guys need to talk to me about, first
[2016/03/04 23:43:16] Archmage Tay: things are going to start breaking until I have time to re-code some stuff
[2016/03/04 23:47:05] Archmage Tay: sorry, had to un-do it
[2016/03/04 23:47:11] Archmage Tay: it's breaking a bunch of stuff

Oops.

mqg2u.png

1 minute ago, Nosebleed said:

[2016/03/04 20:52:12 | Edited 20:56:04] 妹ちゃん: I wanted to ask if it was okay for me to rename the group to just "Fuwachat Mods" ?
[2016/03/04 20:52:43 | Edited 20:56:12] 妹ちゃん: I don't think it affects anything but I wanted to ask just in case
[2016/03/04 23:42:16] Archmage Tay: The way I have integrated forums groups to the front site is actually pretty specific, and adding another primary group is not something we should do just yet
[2016/03/04 23:42:44] Archmage Tay: ah
[2016/03/04 23:42:47] Archmage Tay: looks like you already did it
[2016/03/04 23:43:03] Archmage Tay: k, well, this is the sort of stuff you guys need to talk to me about, first
[2016/03/04 23:43:16] Archmage Tay: things are going to start breaking until I have time to re-code some stuff
[2016/03/04 23:47:05] Archmage Tay: sorry, had to un-do it
[2016/03/04 23:47:11] Archmage Tay: it's breaking a bunch of stuff

Oops.

mqg2u.png

Well, shit

Good riddance, Nosebleed

Well, it wasn't bad enough to cause a rollback, so I have that going for me, which is nice. don't kill me pls

Honestly though it's really annoying not  knowing whether or not something will break the entire site. Believe it or not, I never intended for something like this to happen.  I merely assigned a couple of people chat powers so they could, well, be chat moderators. In that process though I somehow broke the entire forum, even though it's a completely normal action to perform in the control panel.

The amount of small settings that should be completely harmless yet somehow break the entire site is really frightening.

Thanks IPB.

Pressing the notifications icon takes you to the notifications page rather than bringing up a popup menu

Edit: Actually I think half the time the pages just don't finish loading, so whatever scripts are in charge of popups or things like opening editing or posting boxes just don't load.

4 hours ago, Nayleen said:

The server is running at about 60 times more load than it can handle. Something is seriously fucked up.

Anyway, surfing the site in Chrome is broken for me. Good thing I've got IE here as a back up. It's old faithful, never lets you down :3 Heh, it's not even a new version of IE either, it's like IE 7 or 8 or something :P 

18 hours ago, Decay said:

You should just give me ACP access, then I'll ban everyone else who has ACP access in order to prevent this from happening again.

My motives are entirely pure.

Actually agree with this, wtf is all this shit ._.

Edited by Eclipsed
Posting is broken. Clicking in the textbox does nothing. Everything is broken. Take a break from Fuwa y'all.

None of the other mods broke the site, only I did, so please don't take it out on all the staff.

I'm not saying I didn't mess up, but what I did was obviously not ill intended nor was it inherently wrong in any way. I have told Tay since last time that I wouldn't touch any crazy settings in the ACP, and I haven't done so in this case. Assigning a user group is not something that should break any website and it's something we had done before with absolutely no problems. It's just that it so happened that this time the user group assigned conflicted with external coding none of us knew existed, or at least that's the jist of what I got when I talked to Tay, and that's what caused the problems.

So yeah, what happened was a simple operation that shouldn't have affected anything ended up having very large unforeseen ramifications. If I knew about it beforehand I obviously wouldn't have changed it, but again this was something that had been done before without causing issues so I had no reason to suspect it would cause issues now

Regardless, I do apologize for the mess caused and hope things get fixed asap.

Many of the bugs (broken forums themes, broken VNTS tables, etc.) should now be fixed, again. Nay and I will work over the rest of the weekend to look into the details, so I don't have any specific information for you just yet. A friend looked over some of the logs and suspected DDOS, but we won't know for sure until Nay takes a look (THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP, NAY!).

Also, while Nosebleed's tweak did create a little bug, it's very unlikely it led to all of this chaos. It just so happens the forces of evil converged on our position en masse around the same time he made his changes. The chat mods will get their badges back, soon!

So. If you're still having trouble with your forums themes:

• Log out and then back in and see if that fixes it
  • If not, clear cookies/cache and try again

That seems to work for most people I'm talking to.

Just now, Down said:

What's funny is Kaguya apparently made more significant changes without asking anyone before and that doesn't seem to have broken shit. NB is out of luck :makina:

Yeah, I noticed that, too, which is why I wanted to look into it further. Nay turned on Cloudflare much earlier today and really saved our skins. As I wrote in an update in the OP:

Update (3/5 7:52 PM EST): Turns out the forums issues we were seeing were not related to the mods' changes in the ACP. I'm currently looking into whether or not the site was attacked. In the meantime, however, everything seems to be back up and running.

1 minute ago, Eclipsed said:

It's all a plot to make GMs look bad!@# We must unite in this time of crisis

Why would you do that? Don't you think it's time to oust the old blood?
It's time for the rise of the Board Moderators.

In other news, "Back to top" button has dissipated, and the 'Message Editing' button configurations, like the spoiler button, seem to have changed causing some to disappear, like the spoiler button.