Have you ever got accidentaly spoiled any VN? [Beware SPOILERS]

Zidan209

As the title says... Let s talk about something we all hate ------> unwanted spoilers. Some aren t so bad, and some spoil everything. Excluding the spoilers that u intentionally read because u don t want to play everything.

I actually got spoiled twice, very badly (probably the worst ending in 2 VNs) and it wasn t so long ago (actually yesterday, so i remember it well).

I started reading Katawa Shoujo recently, because i haven t played it, and i just had to play. So i was looking on some general info about the game, reading how many routes and endings it has, and how long is the game. Yeah and there it was. They were talking about when the endings end, and i read 

Spoiler

That one ending ends on act 1 on Sunday s festival with Hisao drinking whiskey on the roof, and then he falls down and dies, possibly because of Kenji.

I got quite mad, because they  didn t put there any warning, just a spoiling thing right into the text.

I am not so far in Katawa Shoujo, but gladly, i didn t get that ending, and now i am on Act 3 with Hanako :3 (i am happy with myself, i liked her since the first day)

Does such things happen only to me?

Latest story of those that happened to me was a pretty happy one. I was on a VN low without reading anything for like, months.

Then @Clephas posted a MAD of Kajiri Kamui Kagura, featuring the Yatsukahagi. As someone who had loved Dies Irae, that video brought me so many questions I pretty much had no option but to play it.

I know watching a MAD is basically asking for it, 

Spoiler

But I didn't expect it to have the strength it did - Mostly because of the cast. When I saw that group of characters I had grown to love, playing KKK was the one choice left for my sanity.

So, it was my fault, but it was completely unexpected. Yay, I guess. 

Yes, a few times. The biggest was a rather huge spoiler for Amane´s route in Grisaia no kajitsu. 

Someone also accidentaly gave away a huge event in Muv-luv, a game I haven´t played yet. That one I´m still quite upset about ... Will be less impactful playing through it now most likely. 

Mostly reviewers who insist on spoiling everything... my habit of avoiding most spoilers in my blog is because of that.  Of course, my habit of showing MAD from Light games to get people who can read Japanese interested is probably the sole exception, lol.

I am kind of pissed off right now because the Fire Emblem wikia spoils everything about Fates... I just want to know the basic stat growth probabilities for characters in various classes... I have no interest in being spoiled about various characters' secrets and plot events in advance.   My stupid auto-reader brain and eyes instantly absorb most of the information of the page, and I got spoiled for about one third of all the events in both routes because of that...

dont particularly remember about VNs, mostly happens with anime/manga tbh lol

I mostly got spoiled on VN routes which i dont care about, like Makina/Michiru's route etc

although i do remember being spoiled about Ever17 a long long time ago, but that made me not drop the VN so it was actually good i guess

I'm always spoiling myself. In response to the question I can say "no" because It is no accident. :P

I do this because I want to enjoy more the thing I'm playing then if I know the end of it I can know if I'll like it. I don't mind this because the more important thing in a story, for me, is the journey, not the end. :mare:

The reason I didn't read Clannad despite going on a Key spree when I first got into VNs those many years ago with LB and Rewrite being my second and third VN

Is 'cos I read a spoiler. I forgot it by now, but the Key magic is gone and desire to read them gone.

22 minutes ago, kingdomcome said:

I don't even remember how it was revealed.. I need to reread it.

You got a pic of Maou and don't remember?!
SPOILS

Spoiler

Basically Maou was Blue-Screen-of-Deathing and internal monologuing was all 'IMA KILL HARUUUUU" and he starts strangling her and then Haru's all dying but then at the last moment she goes, "Kyousuke, save me!!!!"

Then we get a CG of Maou strangling Haru, with Kyousuke in the background and it's like, oh. So they're NOT the same person.. ggez

~~

2 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

Practically all of Danganronpa 2 mostly to my own fault

Danganronpa 1 counts as well probably because watching the anime adaptation has almost worse delivery than reading it on a forum would be.

Didn't you also solve the mystery of the Nine Headed Lion early on in Zero Escape 'cos you looked it up online :illya:. BLEW ALL OF THE SPIKE CHUNSOFT GOODIES YO

1 minute ago, Eclipsed said:

You got a pic of Maou and don't remember?!

Reveal hidden contents

Basically Maou was Blue-Screen-of-Deathing and internal monologuing was all 'IMA KILL HARUUUUU" and he starts strangling her and then Haru's like, "Kyousuke, save me!!!!"

Then we get a CG of Maou strangling Haru, with Kyousuke in the background and it's like, oh. So they're NOT the same person.. ggez

Far out... you just spoiled it for me. :amane:

I waited 3 years to forget what happened so I can enjoy it as much as the first time I went through it. Thanks bro, now I have to wait another 3 years...

I joke.. I plan to reread it though. I actually have left it for so long so I can have the maximum enjoyment when rereading it.

:)

9 minutes ago, Eclipsed said:

Didn't you also solve the mystery of the Nine Headed Lion early on in Zero Escape 'cos you looked it up online :illya:. BLEW ALL OF THE SPIKE CHUNSOFT GOODIES YO

Holy shit you remember

Yes that happened too LMAO

(VLR spoilers)

Spoiler

Luna END still almost had me crying... funny thing is it spoiled Sigma END as well KEK

7 minutes ago, kingdomcome said:

Far out... you just spoiled it for me. :amane:

I waited 3 years to forget what happened so I can enjoy it as much as the first time I went through it. Thanks bro, now I have to wait another 3 years...

I joke.. I plan to reread it though. I actually have left it for so long so I can have the maximum enjoyment when rereading it.

:)

Oh shit, my b yo :vinty:

~~
@Fun ye, after that ending I got why you called me out on liking Clover more than Luna. So for the record, Luna is def best girl. But uh, y'know, Clover :wub:

Well, it certainly happens to me more often than I would want it to. Probably, the worst case is Fate/stay night. I got spoiled on several plottwists in Fate and UBW even before I started the VN itself, though I completely misunderstood the one about Archer's identity.

Spoiler

I thought he was Kiritsugu.

Also I was actually spoiled on who was the culprit in Umineko, but I just didn't believe it at the time. It happened around the time when I was reading episode 4 or something. I really need to stop reading comments under VN related videos on Youtube before I finish those VNs! Well, Umineko is probably the best example of me enjoying a visual novel/book/etc that much only because I knew practically nothing about it before I started.

Well, and it wasn't really a spoiler, but I probably wouldn't have guessed the famous plottwist in G-senjou if it weren't for several discussions I saw on the Internet. They weren't really spoilerous, but made me think more about the story.

1 hour ago, kingdomcome said:

I don't even remember how it was revealed.. I need to reread it.

Eh, it's not the reveal itself that's the problem, it's the setup.

Spoiler

Looseboy: Isn't it soooo suspicious that whenever Maou acts, the protag just sorta blacks out, can't be found and nobody sees him or some shit? I bet he's Maou, doncha think?

Me: You're pushing this idea too hard, Looseboy. There's gotta be something up.

Looseboy: Look, it happened again! Protag is totally Maou, I tell ya! Oh, and now I'm just gonna quickly mention for no good reason whatsoever that the protag has a bro who's mysteriously MIA and has no particular relevance to the story. So... that protag, huh? I bet he's Maou.

Me: The brother is Maou, isn't he?

Looseboy: Yes. But wasn't it sooo clever that I made ya think it was the protag?

Me: No, it fucking wasn't, and you didn't. The Maou=protag suggestion was too heavy-handed and the awkward way you introduced this bro character made his identity obvious. Moreover, now the entire thing with protag zoning out whenever Maou acts looks incredibly stupid and gimmicky in retrospect. Are you really the guy who made the Sharin no Kuni twist that was one of the best things I've ever read (even if you gloated a bit too much about all the clues I'd missed)?

P.S. I didn't actually talk to Looseboy. I conjured his image in my head. I often do. Everyone needs a hobby.

1 hour ago, Ariurotl said:

Eh, it's not the reveal itself that's the problem, it's the setup.

Reveal hidden contents

Looseboy: Isn't it soooo suspicious that whenever Maou acts, the protag just sorta blacks out, can't be found and nobody sees him or some shit? I bet he's Maou, doncha think?

Me: You're pushing this idea too hard, Looseboy. There's gotta be something up.

Looseboy: Look, it happened again! Protag is totally Maou, I tell ya! Oh, and now I'm just gonna quickly mention for no good reason whatsoever that the protag has a bro who's mysteriously MIA and has no particular relevance to the story. So... that protag, huh? I bet he's Maou.

Me: The brother is Maou, isn't he?

Looseboy: Yes. But wasn't it sooo clever that I made ya think it was the protag?

Me: No, it fucking wasn't, and you didn't. The Maou=protag suggestion was too heavy-handed and the awkward way you introduced this bro character made his identity obvious. Moreover, now the entire thing with protag zoning out whenever Maou acts looks incredibly stupid and gimmicky in retrospect. Are you really the guy who made the Sharin no Kuni twist that was one of the best things I've ever read (even if you gloated a bit too much about all the clues I'd missed)?

P.S. I didn't actually talk to Looseboy. I conjured his image in my head. I often do. Everyone needs a hobby.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. At first I was wondering if Looseboy was a guy on Fuwa -_-

To be honest, I might be a little slow.. so it's probably good he held my hand to unveil it all.

Spoiler

The blackouts were a little too convenient for my liking tho...

Never read comments on ost's, ever.

Often i'll start to read something even though a part of me knows that it's going to be a spoiler, but somehow not being able to stop reading.

I basically let someone spoil to me the ending of clannad, like, all of it. though oddly enough, in that case, i think it actually improved my experience by preventing me from getting confused at the bits that were supposed to be really emotional. And perhaps because of that, it was pretty much the most powerful ending i've ever experienced. 

So it's not always a bad thing