33 members have voted

1. 1. What Shall We Read?

• Exodus Guilty
    • Cross Channel
    • Remember11
    • YU-NO
    • Steins;Gate

This poll is closed to new votes

It's that time of the month again (well not really, we're a little late this month but oh well, shit happens).

For those of you who are new to the club allow me to fill you in. Over the next 72 hours you can vote for one of five options listed below for us to come together and discuss our thoughts on it. The first week discussions will be minimal to give  everyone a chance to get into whatever we choose, hen we will discuss our first impressions followed by more in depth discussions. 

This months theme is Time. the visual novels up for voting all have some element of time-travel or similar mechanics in their stories.

Exodus Guilty

Spoiler

OihitOo.jpg

The year 2000. Kasumi Shindo is at first glance a run-of-the-mill high school student in modern-day Japan. However, beneath his normal appearance, Kasumi is in fact a top-notch treasure hunter. This time, Kasumi is aiming to seek out the lost 11th Commandment of Moses. Kasumi discovers that his childhood friend, Reina Tachibana is in southern Europe participating in an archeological dig. Pretending to be a tourist, he visits the excavation area and manages to get put on the excavation staff. But he is not the only treasure hunter looking for the Eleventh Commandment of Moses and before he knows it, he's embroiled in a dangerous adventure.

Cross Channel

Spoiler

SzjBIPV.jpg

Gunjo Academy is a facility designed to gather and isolate those students who got a high score on an adaptation exam (Scoring high on this exam indicates that the student is less likely to be able to be adapted to the society) mandated by the government.

After a failed summer vacation with other members of the school's broadcasting club, Kurosu Taichi and some of the other club members return to the city, only to find that the world had completely changed.

Remember11

Spoiler

X64dcPQ.jpg

Fuyukawa Kokoro, a third-year sociology major, boards a plane bound for Hokkaido to meet a research subject in the Specified Psychiatric Hospital for Isolation and Aegis, or SPHIA. For unknown reasons, her plane crashes in the mountains in the middle of a snowstorm. Of the 31 passengers, only she, Kusuda Yuni, Yomogi Seiji, and Mayuzumi Lin survive unharmed. Unable to establish communication with the outside world due to the fierce snowstorm, the four decide to take shelter in an empty cabin and wait until the storm passes.

Yukidoh Satoru, a graduate student in the field of quantum physics, falls from the SPHIA clock tower. He later awakens with some memory loss and the realization that someone is out to kill him. Unable to leave the SPHIA facility due to a snowstorm, Satoru's only chance at living is to find that person among the three other residents (or perhaps the hidden culprit) of SPHIA.

Shortly after, Kokoro and Satoru realize that they are somehow exchanging bodies and Yuni appears to be at both of their locations...

YU-NO

Spoiler

Q7B1fSw.jpg

Takuya Arima is a young student whose father, a historian who has conducted various researches, disappeared recently. During a summer vacation Takuya receives a peculiar package from his missing father, along with a letter containing information about the existence of various parallel worlds. At first Takuya doesn't take it seriously, but soon he realizes that he possesses a device that allows him to travel to alternate dimensions. Is his father alive, after all? If so, where is he? 

Steins;Gate

Spoiler

wVP6IuN.jpg

"The universe has a beginning, but it has no end. —Infinite. 
Stars, too, have their own beginnings, but are by their own power destroyed. —Finite. 
History teaches that those who hold wisdom are often the most foolish. 
The fish in the sea know not the land. If they too hold wisdom, they too will be destroyed. 
It is more ridiculous for man to exceed light speed than for fish to live ashore. 
This may also be called God's final warning to those who rebel."

The story of Steins;Gate takes place in Akihabara, and is about a group of friends who have customized their microwave into a device that can send text messages to the past. As they perform different experiments, an organization named SERN who has been doing their own research on time travel tracks them down. The characters must now find a way to avoid being captured by them.

I was thinking about Cross Channel and Remember11, but went with latter, just because I heard bad stuff about CC translation, and R11 could be a 'gateway' title for me to KIDs' vns.

Never heard about Exodus Guilty, nice to learn about something new, sounds interesting, but ratings are poor. Also - I've read S;G, and while it's best thing ever made by humans, I will not read it again for few years at least, so don't want it to win.

Also Yu-No sounds great, but it's ultra complicated 'system' is rejecting.

Cross Channel is one of the best VNs I ever played, but it's not my suggestion- the translation is pretty bad and reading it in jp and in en are completely different experiences as of now (I'm tired of having to explain to people that CC is actually a good game :salt: )

My rec this month was Remember11, which is my favorite entry in the infinity series. Well, vote for whatever you think is fun. I voted for Cross Channel because voting for your title is just silly :miyako: 

I voted for Steins;Gate because I want more people to play it. It's a must read in my opinion. I've heard good things about Remember11 and I've also heard the ending is really bad which is why I've been avoiding it for so long. Cross Channel was the second VN I finished in my VN career. I enjoyed it in its English translation, but if I'm to take Kaguya's word, I'd rather read it next in Japanese to see what he's talking about. Yu-No is a title I have to get to eventually as well and Exodus Guilty doesn't look interesting to me at all.

15 minutes ago, DarkZedge said:

I voted for S;G since i still have to fully commit to it :komari: been on my backlog for way too long like other things..It just never ends

Yup. Same here. Really want Steins;gate to win :miyako: 

(And then I will just end up not reading it because I suck. But shh!)

Just now, Dergonu said:

Yup. Same here. Really want Steins;gate to win :miyako: 

(And then I will just end up not reading it because I suck. But shh!)

Remarkable lazyness as always senpai :wahaha:

Hopefully it'll win...And you must read it with us...senpai :jinpou:

It's another month where I'd be happy to play any of the VNs. :wub: this club.

Steins;Gate got my vote, since it's been floating near the top of my list for quite a while now. It might actually have been the first VN I ever paid for, and then sadly it promptly got shelved. The anime adaptation is probably my second-favorite anime, and it's now been quite a while since I watched it, so I don't think having seen that already is going to hurt the experience much. So, I'm hoping for that one.

That said, Remember11 and Ever17 are also both floating near the top of my list as well, so I'll be delighted if Remember11 gets voted in as well.

I'd love to read more Tanaka Romeo, and I won't deny being curious to see this often-slighted Cross Channel translation, since I had no qualms with Ixrec's translations of Rewrite and Comyu, but with the amount of noise people are constantly making about wanting a retranslation of the game, I keep putting off playing it in the fear that it actually is that bad and that if I wait something better will come along. Still, ... I'm curious.

YU-NO is so old that I can't imagine people would still be talking about how great it is (even people who played it for the first time in the last year) unless it was really amazing, so there's that.

And then there's that last one I've never heard of with the hilariously 90s-anime-style drawing on its cover. It's probably good too :sachi:

Oh, there's some interesting choices here. 

YU-NO and Remember11 are both classics I've never read and Steins;Gate is so good that I don't mind rereading it. (I've actually been thinking about doing just that)

Cross Channel is something that I definitely want to read in Japanese at some point, but for now reading two different VNs in Japanese at the same time would certainly be too much for me.

And for Exodus Guilty, I have no words. It's even a DVD game. lol 

If Remember11 wins I'll join the club and replay the damn thing. Amazing game. A-FUCKING-MAZING-GOD-TIER-UNDER-FUCKING-RATED game. The best VN I have played on PC. It's LEGENDARY. That fucking atmosphere. Those damn twists. That OST.

YU-NO is beautiful as well, despite being old, though having S;G in this poll easily doomed both of them. Also YU-NO is not that bad with a walkthrough.

6 hours ago, LiquidShu said:

Sign me up for this month, bought Steins;Gate a year ago and wasn't able to get it to install correctly. My vote is obviously going to S;G. Does anyone here know if the PS Vita or PC version is better? 

PC releases are usually of higher quality