Who is your least favorite protagonist in VNs?

VirginSmasher

Faceless Protagonists with virtually no personality and only there to be a vehicle to move the plot or (worse) your personal self inserts MCs. 

I need to connect/understand with the MC to be able to enjoy the game. You'll be reading through this fucker's point of view or about them most of the time. I want them to be complex, to be engaging or at least be interesting. If not then it would damper my experience with the VN.

I guess you can say most Harem MCs in generic eroge VNs.

3 minutes ago, Soulless Watcher said:

Shiro from fsn will forever be on the top of my list, but Kagami Kouhei (from Yume Miru Kusuri) and Touma Taiga (from dual savior) are pretty bit twatcicles.

Kagami Kouhei. I completely forgot about him. I didn't necessarily hate the guy, but he wasn't the most memorable protagonist.

I like Kuzumi Yaaji.

On 7/8/2015 at 8:46 PM, Albedo said:

It's very simple, really.

The premise, it's the ultimate white knight simulator. Think about it, "you" are the ultimate delta special forces ex-secret agent sarcastic badass marine, a dude that weights 120 pounds wet and has the same muscle mass as your average pro-ana supporter but can take out the entire UFC roster if need be, a mary sue if there ever was one, who comes to a school... that only has girls. And they all want the D, or will want the D (since it's that kind of game, you KNOW that they will want the D, you are supposed to know) So far so good. Except that you find out that the girls are damaged. They have "issues," they're complicated. But you? Oh, you can fix them. And they will want your D in the process. Some of them might even call you daddy. Of course, you have to save them, but you'll be a badass about it, sometimes to ridiculous extremes, to a point where the MC's actions defy logic and human rights themselves. But that's okay, because he's a badass former ranger 00 agent licensed to kick ass who's never wrong, so everything will be fine in the end. 

It's about wish fulfillment, in the end. It's designed to push an otaku's romantic buttons with surgical precision, and I really admire the writers for it. Oh, and the common route drags like fucking hell, but Angelic Howl is really good. And Makina's bad ending is gold.

4 minutes ago, Fiddle said:

I like Kuzumi Yaaji.

I think you may have gotten the thread name wrong. Or you're just expressing your appreciation for Yuuji in this thread.

Just now, Dergonu said:

Burn them all :makina:

Slaughter all of them. Don't leave a single clueless protagonist alive. :ryuusui:

Honda Souta from Kira☆Kira Curtain Call. He's the biggest reason why Curtain Call is so hard to get through. Figure your typical old shounen protagonist and you get Honda. I'm talking Naruto levels here. Immature, quick to anger and about as clever as rotten moss. It's telling how much more tolerable the VN gets when he gets demoted to side-character status in the second half.

Edited by MercyZombie
Freaking Ninja'd by TexasDice

36 minutes ago, DarkZedge said:

latest?cb=20130728202448

This *barfs*  "MC" Is to me the worst..

He is cancer in VN protagonist form.

40 minutes ago, MercyZombie said:

Honda Souta from Kira☆Kira Curtain Call. He's the biggest reason why Curtain Call is so hard to get through. Figure your typical old shounen protagonist and you get Honda. I'm talking Naruto levels here. Immature, quick to anger and about as clever as rotten moss. It's telling how much more tolerable the VN gets when he gets demoted to side-character status in the second half.

Damn. I'm glad I decided not to play Curtain Call. He sounds like a pain to deal with.

Overall, I would rank protagonists into four categories ordered by how much I like or dislike each type of them in general:

1.) Protagonists with a strong personality I can sympathize with

The best ones. They make it easy to identify with them and they do some cool stuff. Examples: Kaito from Akagoei, Mizuno from Walkure Romanze, Reiji from Kara no Shoujo, Kenichi from Sharin no Kuni. Good anime examples are also Yuuichi from Kanon or Kyon from Haruhi Suzumiya.

2.) Mostly neutral protagonists without a particular strong personality

The okayish ones - those are the majority of the VN protagonists. They might not have an outstanding personality but it's still not too hard to identify with them because they at least don't do completely retarded things. Examples of some of the better ones: Shirou from F/SN, Kazuto from Koihime Musou, Akito from Unionism Quartet, Rin from Shuffle. A particular bad example would be Makoto from School Days.

3.) Protagonists with a particular annoying personality

The annoying ones. They have a personality, but you wish they wouldn't because they are just going on you nerves the whole time. This is also still a bit of a love or hate category. Some might still like them because of their unique personality, but if you don't then they can ruin the whole VN for you. Examples: Takumi from Chaos;Head, Rance, Okabe from Stein's Gate

4.) Scum protagonists

The unbearable ones. Your run of the mill sadistic rape hentai protagonist with neither brain nor morals. Examples: Fortunately, I try to avoid titles with good examples for this category.

Each category still has better and worse protagonists in it, but this would be the rough order I would give. For obvious reasons there's also a lot of personal taste involved and the categories are not clear cuts but grey areas.

23 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

Overall, I would rank protagonists into four categories ordered by how much I like or dislike each type of them in general:

1.) Protagonists with a strong personality I can sympathize with

The best ones. They make it easy to identify with them and they do some cool stuff. Examples: Kaito from Akagoei, Mizuno from Walkure Romanze, Reiji from Kara no Shoujo, Kenichi from Sharin no Kuni. Good anime examples are also Yuuichi from Kanon or Kyon from Haruhi Suzumiya.

2.) Mostly neutral protagonists without a particular strong personality

The okayish ones - those are the majority of the VN protagonists. They might not have an outstanding personality but it's still not too hard to identify with them because they at least don't do completely retarded things. Examples of some of the better ones: Shirou from F/SN, Kazuto from Koihime Musou, Akito from Unionism Quartet, Rin from Shuffle. A particular bad example would be Makoto from School Days.

3.) Protagonists with a particular annoying personality

The annoying ones. They have a personality, but you wish they wouldn't because they are just going on you nerves the whole time. This is also still a bit of a love or hate category. Some might still like them because of their unique personality, but if you don't then they can ruin the whole VN for you. Examples: Takumi from Chaos;Head, Rance, Okabe from Stein's Gate

4.) Scum protagonists

The unbearable ones. Your run of the mill sadistic rape hentai protagonist with neither brain nor morals. Examples: Fortunately, I try to avoid titles with good examples for this category.

Each category still has better and worse protagonists in it, but this would be the rough order I would give. For obvious reasons there's also a lot of personal taste involved and the categories are not clear cuts but grey areas.

1. I like quite a few of the examples. Especially Kyon, Reiji, and Kenichi

2. Shuffle is the only VN I played in the examples and I barely remember his personality, but he was decent from what I remember.

3. I quite like Okabe and you already know my stance on Takumi.

4. I agree with you on that one completely, but that type of protagonist is really only found in what you said Rape nukiges from my knowledge which is played by a specific crowd.

1 hour ago, TexasDice said:

Every yuri protagonist ever.

It's without a doubt this twat:

397.jpg

I don't even want to remember his name. Just let it be known that he is the worst.

Youll never catch my man wearing that metrosexual outfit. I will strip his ass naked before he gets caught with that disgusting outfit.

1 hour ago, MercyZombie said:

Kira☆Kira Curtain Call depresses me because I love the original Kira☆Kira... and this twat sucks in the sequel barely two minutes into it.

18 minutes ago, CeruleanGamer said:

Youll never catch my man wearing that metrosexual outfit. I will strip his ass naked before he gets caught with that disgusting outfit.

Jeans and a t-shirt? Seems pretty standard guy fare for wardrobe. Or is it what's on the t-shirt and the accessories?

16 minutes ago, Valmore said:

Kira☆Kira Curtain Call depresses me because I love the original Kira☆Kira... and this twat sucks in the sequel barely two minutes into it.

It sucks quite a bit. I liked the original and it sounds like this guy sucks the life out of the fandisc

7 minutes ago, Valmore said:

Jeans and a t-shirt? Seems pretty standard guy fare for wardrobe. Or is it what's on the t-shirt and the accessories?

It's pretty standard for me. I always wear jeans and a metal band shirt everyday.