History of Fuwanovel from 2013, also My 1000th Post

Zalor

Man, I've finally reached 1,000 post counts. It only took me 3 years, lol. My activity on this site has always been pretty volatile and spontaneous. Often I would be really active for a couple of months, then disappear for around half a year, and then return like nothing happened. It's for this reason that I don't feel like I know a lot of users very well. Especially newer ones. So I'm mostly going to dedicate this post as a retrospective of both my time here, and how much fuwa has changed. So hopefully even people who don't really recognize me, can at least take interest in some fuwahistory from this dinosaur ;P. 

The Fuwanovel community has changed significantly since I first joined in March 2013. Back then Fuwanovel was still a fairly new site, and the community was quite small. I really miss those days during the spring of 2013, which was my first round of activity on this forum. Back then, you ran into the same people all the time on the forums. There were few active users, but the ones that were active were fairly involved. A lot of the time it was the same people having conversations about different topics across the forums, and it felt like the community was a lot more unified. Whereas now, it seems to me at least, that users tend to stick to their favorite sub-forum or even thread (I feel like the people active on the fuwanovel confessions thread are their own sub-community, lol). I'm not criticizing this, and in a sense I feel like that is the natural progression of when online-communities get bigger. But back then, people would often post across all the boards; and you would see the same person’s views on different subjects. It allowed a chance to really get to know other users. Which is why even though the forums were fairly slow in activity back then, people remained; because of vibrant discussion and a comfortable small community. 

Regarding vibrant discussions, that was the reason I loved fuwanovel so much when I first joined. Before Fuwanovel, there wasn't really a good place to discuss VNs casually. The few other places where VN discussion did exist (notably vndb and JP), were fairly elitist and not welcoming to new comers and casual VN readers. Fuwanovel had a completely different vibe, everyone was outwardly friendly. Fuwanovel's goal since its inception was to make "VNs more popular in the west", and having a friendly community that welcomes the less initiated is crucial for such a cause. While admittedly most people that were active back then already had some experience with VNs, the friendly environment promoted discussion without fear of being judged. And I remember Aaeru (the founder of Fuwanovel) made it quite clear that fostering an anti-elitist vibe was a very important goal to her. But combined with being friendly, debate and intellectual exchanges were a huge aspect of many discussions back then.

It was quite frequent that different sides would get into huge debates with each other, but would always have respect for the other. They were not flame wars because people were listening to the other side, and respected their views. I remember one of the first acquaintances I made on this site (I believe it was Sieg), was a guy I got into a long argument about G-Senjou no Maou with, and afterwards we became friends. Precisely because it was a small community, people usually posted meaningful replies and would then start a conversation with each other in the thread. If you are ever bored, I highly recommend looking at the really old threads on VN talk, as many of them are quite interesting. Aaeru would also very frequently get in huge debates with people (especially with Sanahtlig).

Another aspect I miss about the old Fuwa, was the activity of the old staff, notably Ryoji, Tay and Aaeru. Ryoji has hardly been active since the summer of 2013 but was one of the first users to break 1000 post counts, back when merely having 100 was impressive. I will forever remember him as the Sage of Anime. He had been collecting and following anime since the 80's, and knew a lot about the topic. The only person who was his match was another user name Eldin, and when they conversed with each other we referred to it as "Ryoji vs Eldin". Both of them would talk about the most obscure anime that most people have never heard of, and get into intense debates about said long forgotten shows. It was quite entertaining, and fascinating to watch. Ryoji's wife, Kotomi, was also occasionally active on the site. It was always cool to see when the two of them posted in the same threads. Well, those were my thoughts on Ryoji, onto Tay from 2013.

These days I feel like few people actually know Tay. I think for especially newer users he is the guy who runs the site, and is often too busy. But back in 2013 (and 2014 as well), Tay was really active. He would participate in many conversations, and he was a strong reason why many people felt that the community was so nice. He recognized users and got to know them. I remember after my first long absence from the forums when I returned, he sent me a pm greeting me back. That gesture deeply touched me, as already then, I felt like a lot of users that I once knew had left. This was back in late 2013, at that point Aaeru disappeared, and Ryoji was also no longer active, not to mention a lot of other formerly active people left. I didn't really know the new community (lol, this was back when Nosebleed was actually new) and I didn’t feel at home. But then with that one Pm from Tay, I knew that I wasn't forgotten. Tay really knew the community back then, and it was obvious he cared a lot about its users. This is still true about him, but now I feel he is too busy to be as engaged as he used to be, which I completely understand. I just want people to know that Tay really does care a lot about this community, and I am glad he runs this site.

The last staff member I remember being active from 2013 was Aaeru. Unlike with both Ryoji and Tay, I never really interacted with Aaeru that much. She posted on my Introduction thread, and that’s about all I remember interacting with her. But what I do remember was her crusade against licensing and her vehement pro-piracy views. She believed two things very strongly about Priracy. 1) Was that Piracy was the most efficient means to spread word about VNs, and 2) That fan translators could do a faster job than official licensors and translators. To be honest with you, I agree with both these views still. I respect licensors, but Fan translators can translate any VN they want (they don’t need a license to do so), and I’ve noticed that they have usually been faster. Furthermore, of English translated VNs, I feel like more good ones have either been fan translated, or picked up from fan translators. They are still the backbone of the Western VN community in my view.

Furthermore about Aaeru, it was her “Learn How to Read Japanese in 2 Years” thread that first motivated me to learn Japanese. I always assumed that it was an impossible task before that. But her thread convinced me that I could learn the language, and that motivated me to study. If it were not for that blog post, I probably would not know any Japanese right now. So I really must thank her for that. Even though Aaeru has long disappeared, I hope people don’t forget about her. While a lot of drama and controversy was started by her, we wouldn’t have Fuwanovel at all if it were not for her, and so we should pay our respects to her for at least that reason.

The spring and the summer of 2013 were the golden age of the site for me. I’m glad that Fuwanovel has grown (and is continuing to grow). It makes me happy because it serves as evidence that Fuwanovel is succeeding in its mission statement to “Make Visual Novels popular in the west”. I have had plenty of great interactions with people during 2014 and 2015 (I have not been very active during 2016 thus far though). I’m constantly adapting to the community’s evolution and support where the site is going. But I don’t want the early days of Fuwanovel, the days that really first shaped the site, to be forgotten.

I hope you guys didn’t mind my huge nostagiafest. In the title I mentioned that this was a "3 year retrospective". So if you are curious about my thoughts on 2014 and 2015 I would gladly share them. Every year of this site has been distinctly different, so I definitely have a lot to share. And if others have perspectives of old Fuwa to share, I would love to hear them.

Thanks for this awesome look back at how Fuwanovel was before.

(I just joined in 2015 and I almost have the same post count ... :makina:)
Guess we new folks spam a lot :sachi:

Gratz on 1k posts, and on a side note, I would love to see more posts about how the community changed over the other 2 years you have spent here.

There was a thread where I attempted to chronicle some of the more eventful moments in Fuwanovel's past.

FuwaHistory Series: Recounting the birth and tribulations of a Fuwa nation

I kind of dropped it as a project when management took the site in a direction I disagreed with, but it's still a useful / entertaining resource, although not comprehensive.

It was fun reading this retrospective on the history of Fuwanovel. I've only been around in these forums for about 4 months now and even though I've known about Fuwanovel since January 2014, I never came to these forums. I hope to see you around more and congratulations on 1000 posts :sachi:

It's great to have you around Zalor, your rare apparitions usually come together with an insightful post or a nice analysis. I recently read your blog post about SayoOshi (or whatever it's called) and things like that are, in my opinion at least, what makes us such an amazing place, the great content some of our members produce. Hope to see you around more. :sachi:

...Oh, and congrats on the 1k posts. 

Thanks guys! This community means a lot to me, and its nice to know that my presence is still recognized and appreciated. 

8 hours ago, Dergonu said:

Thanks for this awesome look back at how Fuwanovel was before.

(I just joined in 2015 and I almost have the same post count ... :makina:)
Guess we new folks spam a lot :sachi:

Gratz on 1k posts, and on a side note, I would love to see more posts about how the community changed over the other 2 years you have spent here.

When I have time this week, I'll try to expand on my thoughts of 2014 and 2015. In the mean time, thanks!

4 hours ago, Rose said:

It's great to have you around Zalor, your rare apparitions usually come together with an insightful post or a nice analysis. I recently read your blog post about SayoOshi (or whatever it's called) and things like that are, in my opinion at least, what makes us such an amazing place, the great content some of our members produce. Hope to see you around more. :sachi:

...Oh, and congrats on the 1k posts. 

I'm glad my serious content is appreciated! I really do wish I could post more stuff like that, but finding the time is always difficult. But whenever I read a VN that really gets my brain thinking, I always manage to create the time. xD 

This is definitely the kind of stuff I crave and haven't seen the like of since... Forever. I beg you share more grand tales of the history of Fuwa, notably the clash between the pirates and the new overlord Tay. Those where the most re-defining moments of this site that I recall, and the newbies need to know how it happened.

Grats on 1000 posts and 3 years. Now come to think of it, why is it that my "kouhai" been around fuwa longer than me :pyaa:?

Me too, I really appreciated the sentiment at the time I joined the site in early 2014. At the time, fuwa was the only welcoming place to talk about VN's. #tlwiki, vndb, and 4chan were out, for obvious reasons, while /visualnovels/ was mostly filled with funny images and posts from people finishing Grisia/MLA/Rewrite. Tay was pretty active back then too. Arr, Tay you're the man! I'm curious how fuwa will go in the year 2016: what new people will come, what the existing members will do. I have the inkling that people like you Zalor producing great content keeps drawing people back towards the community. Call me up anytime on VN community and piracy and we can go toe to toe.

Alright, sorry it has been around a week (it's been a pretty busy week for me irl). I'll dedicate this post on my thoughts and memories of Fuwanovel in 2014.

Fall/Late Summer of 2013 through 2014:

To be honest with you, I feel like the Fall of 2013 meshes in with 2014, so I will start from there. And the reason I think this, is because 2014 was a standstill year, and a lot of that was attributed to Aaeru disappearing. The site was kind of dying during the summer of 2013, and this was also when Aaeru was noticeably less active. A lot of people that used to be really active in the Spring started either disappearing or just posting significantly less. This included me. Looking back on it, I think it was a kind of a burn out. During the spring, a lot of people had fun discussing all sorts of VN related topics. Many people that never really had a chance before to talk about VNs in depth with other people, got really deep and open about this passion. But by the summer, I think a lot of things were discussed to exhaustion, and people were starting to get bored, and consequently leaving. Aaeru finally left in fall of 2013, and Tay took over the site from there on. A lot of the remainder of 2013 from that point onward, seemed to be Fuwanovel picking itself up off the ground. I think at that time Tay was struggling with what purpose Fuwanovel should serve to the VN community. While torrents were still up at that time, and so the site still served as a place to easily get translated VNs; Tay wanted to give the community a purpose beyond that. At that point Fuwanovel was pretty much just a seedbox, and people who wanted to could hang out on the forums. 

So around late 2013 and early 2014, Tay was coming up with ideas to try to bring the community together in a communal project. I think Tay was weary of people joining the community, being really active for a while, and then ultimately leaving. And I think he thought people usually eventually left, because after discussing VNs for a while, the community lacked any purpose beyond that so they got bored and left. So by coming up with projects, he hoped people would be incentivised  to stay. It was actually during this time that I returned briefly from a hiatus, and I think Tay was happy to see me back. He even pmed me welcoming me back. Which honestly really touched me. I just dug through my pm history, and he actually signed the message with his real name. So yeah, that made me very happy.

Returning to my point. In the pm he mentioned a VN literary journal he was trying to start with the community. This was an idea that ultimately fell through, but it was an interesting idea. He wanted different people to contribute articles they could write, and to put them together in a journal. Another idea I remember from around that time, was an attempt to make a community VN. Whereas the literary journal did see some progress before falling apart, the community VN never got off the ground. This was mostly because lots of people had passionate VN ideas they came up with, but they were not interested in doing other peoples ideas. So ultimately it just remained as an idea. 

By the summer of 2014, there was simultaneous frustration about the lack of direction, but also improvement. At this point OriginalRen had started doing podcasts and other various community building projects. (I think he started a bit earlier than the summer, but not by much). Which was very helpful in getting the community involved with each other. It was around this time that Zaka started seriously being involved with the fuwa blog. I don't remember what about, but I remember on one thread regarding the productivity of this site back then, Rooke and Zaka got in a big argument. It was also in the Summer of 2014 where I posted my first serious analytical article about a VN. Something I still try to do when I have the time and motivation for it. In this case it was a close reading of two routes in Key's classic Kanon.

Anyway, that was my view of late summer/fall of 2013 through 2014. The site started stagnating, Aaeru left, then Tay tried to bring the community together through community project proposals, ultimately the community finally started to rebuild by summer of 2014. Big thanks go to Zakamutt for taking up the blog, OriginalRen for doing his podcasts/streams and other miscellaneous activities, and Tay for taking over the site and doing his best (and succeeding) in rebuilding it.         

P.S. Also important to note. Fuwanovel's pre-patched pre-installed torrents remained up on the site for all of 2014. Something that changed in 2015 (when I get to that part).

17 minutes ago, Zalor said:

To be honest with you, I feel like the Fall of 2013 meshes in with 2014, so I will start from there. And the reason I think this, is because 2014 was a standstill year, and a lot of that was attributed to Aaeru disappearing. The site was kind of dying during the summer of 2013, and this was also when Aaeru was noticeably less active. A lot of people that used to be really active in the Spring started either disappearing or just posting significantly less. This included me. Looking back on it, I think it was a kind of a burn out. During the spring, a lot of people had fun discussing all sorts of VN related topics. Many people that never really had a chance before to talk about VNs in depth with other people, got really deep and open about this passion. But by the summer, I think a lot of things were discussed to exhaustion, and people were starting to get bored, and consequently leaving. Aaeru finally left in fall of 2013, and Tay took over the site from there on. A lot of the remainder of 2013 from that point onward, seemed to be Fuwanovel picking itself up off the ground.

Well, the forums disintegrated in late summer 2013 because Aaeru had been using pirated software to run them, and the IP holders finally got the forums shut down over it.  It's kind of hard to post when the BBS is gone, and any extended outage is going to cause people to wander off, perhaps never to return.

1 hour ago, sanahtlig said:

Well, the forums disintegrated in late summer 2013 because Aaeru had been using pirated software to run them, and the IP holders finally got the forums shut down over it.  It's kind of hard to post when the BBS is gone, and any extended outage is going to cause people to wander off, perhaps never to return.

Thats cool to know. I was not really that active during most of the summer, so I missed the temporary shut down of the forums. I find it so appropriate of Aaeru to have once again screwed herself over because of piracy, lol.

For my 100th post, guess I should congratulate OP for his 1000th post, @Zalor.

Since some of them speak about TLWiki, suddenly I feel nostalgic to how much VN Translation change so much compared to said around 2011 when TLWiki was still active. At that time, most good VN translation was hosted at TLWiki (Which as of now since Grisaia release at 2013 it was inactive and quite useless except to download some patch lol. And Sayooshi translation was not updated for several month), and we had several VN translation group like Yandere and Amaterasu. Also Mangagamer at that time was still had small catalog of translated VN compared to now, and of course Fuwanovel was still Visual Novel Aer.

And fast forward to now, I think more VN was localized and we had one more official company (Sekai, although it also had some controversy) and many new translation group. Another change was Yandere site was abandoned in regard of their leader who was working and left his last project untranslated, and thanks to the effort of this community it was finally fully translated (In case you wondering, the VN in question was Majikoi (Also it spawn annoying meme back at VNTL with Unlimited Miyako Work thing). Oh another person called aroduc was still active since 2009. And as of now Mangagamer expand their translated VN catalog to more expansive than before.

I think that's all for now that I could remember, and thanks for all of the post here @Zalor.

11 hours ago, littleshogun said:

For my 100th post, guess I should congratulate OP for his 1000th post, @Zalor.

Since some of them speak about TLWiki, suddenly I feel nostalgic to how much VN Translation change so much compared to said around 2011 when TLWiki was still active. At that time, most good VN translation was hosted at TLWiki (Which as of now since Grisaia release at 2013 it was inactive and quite useless except to download some patch lol. Ans Sayooshi translation was not updated for several month), and we had several VN translation group like Yandere and Amaterasu. Also Mangagamer at that time was still had small catalog of translated VN compared to now, and of course Fuwanovel was still Visual Novel Aer.

And fast forward to now, I think more VN was localized and we had one more official company (Sekai, although it also had some controversy) and many new translation group. Another change was Yandere site was abandoned in regard of their leader who was working and left his last project untranslated, and thanks to the effort of this community it was finally fully translated (In case you wondering, the VN in question was Majikoi (Also it spawn annoying meme back at VNTL with Unlimited Miyako Work thing). Oh another person called aroduc was still active since 2009. Oh, and Mangagamer now expand their translated VN catalog to more expansive than before.

I think that's all for now that I could remember, and thanks for all of the post here @Zalor.

Thanks man. And also, I appreciate the light you shed on the history of TLwiki. I remember that a while ago they were quite important, but I never really knew much about them.  

On 2/28/2016 at 0:53 PM, Zalor said:

Another aspect I miss about the old Fuwa, was the activity of the old staff, notably Ryoji, Tay and Aaeru. Ryoji has hardly been active since the summer of 2013 but was one of the first users to break 1000 post counts, back when merely having 100 was impressive. I will forever remember him as the Sage of Anime. He had been collecting and following anime since the 80's, and knew a lot about the topic. The only person who was his match was another user name Eldin, and when they conversed with each other we referred to it as "Ryoji vs Eldin". Both of them would talk about the most obscure anime that most people have never heard of, and get into intense debates about said long forgotten shows. It was quite entertaining, and fascinating to watch. Ryoji's wife, Kotomi, was also occasionally active on the site. It was always cool to see when the two of them posted in the same threads. Well, those were my thoughts on Ryoji, onto Tay from 2013.

*points to this topic for example*

wwww digging up old topics is fun...

@Zalor Thanks, but actually I forgot to explain what kind of VN that was posted in TL Wiki, so I'll do it here and give my commentary regarding the change. And for correction, it was inactive since 2014 after Fate Hollow patch release, not after Grisaia release, although after Grisaia no Kajitsu translation finished, I think the activity on TL Wiki slowing down imo. 

• MOON - Translated by Ixrec, founder and leader of Amaterasu which in turn also translated Muv Luv trilogy and Rewrite. As of now, Muv Luv was about being officially translated
  • G-Senjou no Maou - Got picked by Sekai Project and released on Steam, despite some controversy (Cropped CG and cut H content was the controversy)
  • Kara no Shoujo - Picked and released by Mangagamer, which in turn allow Catagra and Kara no Shoujo 2 to be translated too
  • Chaos Head - The translation right was sold to JAST, and JAST now was hold Nitroplus license (Although there is many way to got Chaos Head in English though)
  • Demonbane - Picked by JAST, since this is Nitroplus product
  • Saya no Uta and Hanachirasu - Translated first at TL Wiki, picked up and sold by JAST
  • Osanajimi wa Daitoryu - Picked by JAST using TL Wiki translation
  • Little Busters - Picked up and will localized by Fruitbat Factory
  • Grisaia - After Kajitsu translated in 2013, Sekai picked all of the franchise license, and release Chiru Chiru translation. The translator koestl also translated Gahktun
  • Never7 - GundamAce first project. After finishing this, he established Lemnisca and translated I/O and Killer Queen. As of now, he work at Sekai for translating Root Double, which recently just finished Kickstarter (Around February) 
  • Seinarukana - Had changing translator the most, and finally aroduc take over the translation after previous 2 translator disappear (Die or still alive I didn't know). As of now, since JAST who usually slow as snail already announced Seinarukana pre-order, maybe we finally get translated Seinarukana this year (I checked each of JAST release and JAST usually tend to annound pre-order at most 5 months before release. It might be wrong though)

As for rumored Subahibi official release, I think it's probably another troll from moogy (Or he didn't want to release the patch maybe) since back when he was head of TL Wiki, he was quite infamous enough at 4chan and VNDB for making some controversial post in order to see the internet reaction (Or so he told Aaeru in one of his interview). Some user even called Moogy attention seeker, while one of his infamy action were he released Drakoi patch right when Ixrec about to translated it because Moogy still not release it (Although guess I should thank moogy though to did that, or otherwise Comyu might delayed for few months or could even be a year lol). But nevertheless I think even if right now it's quite useless, back at 2011-2012 it was very active Wiki, with may translation posted there.

Oh, the reason I posted the history of TL Wiki was because from there we could see of how many translation project for VN, and I think if the translated VN was still from G-Collection or Mangagamer still did nukige, I think we'll only had few non nukige discussion in Fuwanovel, while most good VN was still untranslated. And one last note, while there was many translation project outside TL Wiki, I think TL Wiki influence for spreading good translated VN was quite huge imo. Although there's also Mirror Moon though which translated Tsukihime and Fate/Stay Night (Mirror moon leader also disappeared Yandere translation leader), but the influence from Mirror Moon was still small imo. And I think TL Wiki history also important and connected to Fuwanovel history (Otherwise, maybe all of the user here would stuck to discuss Snow Sakura, Crescendo, Yume Miru Kusuri, and Princess Waltz as the choice of good VN I think).

I think that's all from what I remember at this time. Might add more though, and sorry if I got some typo and grammatically wrong.

People are motivated by four factors: promoting a cause you believe in, a desire for self-improvement, money, and social factors (e.g., attention seeking).  If you're not getting paid, there's little room for self-improvement, and the cause isn't all that important, then by definition the social factors dominate.  Consider why anyone does anything on an Internet message board.  You'll probably find that attention seeking is at the root of it.

3 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

People are motivated by four factors: promoting a cause you believe in, a desire for self-improvement, money, and social factors (e.g., attention seeking).  If you're not getting paid, there's little room for self-improvement, and the cause isn't all that important, then by definition the social factors dominate.  Consider why anyone does anything on an Internet message board.  You'll probably find that attention seeking is at the root of it.

That's a kinda sad/cynical individualistic vision of life. Social factors don't reduce to attention seeking, you can be motivated by a desire for social bonding which is centered more on the relation than on yourself, or by a desire to spread knowledge, etc. Altruism (which is only social in a broad definition since it's biologically engineered in numerous species like ours) and boredom seem like other plausible options.

15 minutes ago, Down said:

That's a kinda sad/cynical individualistic vision of life. Social factors don't reduce to attention seeking, you can be motivated by a desire for social bonding which is centered more on the relation than on yourself, or by a desire to spread knowledge, etc. Altruism (which is only social in a broad definition since it's biologically engineered in numerous species like ours) and boredom seem like other plausible options.

I acknowledge that "seeking a sense of belonging" is one of the social factors.  The greater point I was responding to is that fan translation is powered by altruism (implied by Moogy being singled out as some sort of exception to the rule).  That's a rather naive viewpoint, and I think social factors usually dominate.  Fan translators often have huge egos, and I don't think that's a coincidence.  That's simply the type of person most likely to be sufficiently motivated to persevere through multiple large projects.

20 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

The greater point I was responding to is that fan translation is powered by altruism (implied by Moogy being singled out as some sort of exception to the rule).  That's a rather naive viewpoint, and I think social factors usually dominate.  Fan translators often have huge egos, and I don't think that's a coincidence.  That's simply the type of person most likely to be sufficiently motivated to persevere through multiple large projects.

Oh. Well if you're talking about some specific individuals then it's nothing but casual psychologizing, which doesn't have a whole lot of interest. Presuming you can, indeed, determine what is someone's intention is, in my opinion, the naive viewpoint here. Especially if you try to assign a single intention to a single action. Alas human beings are not billiard balls.

Looks like I'd a little sensitive, but I think I see your point @sanahtlig in regard of fan translator and attention seeker. Hell, I could make confession here that I was one of attention seeker too. But I think while what you said was true, I think there is also fan translation who work based on altruism, although those people maybe rare though. Neverthless, we must thank all of fan translator regardless of their motive if only because we could enjoy translated VN (And only if they manage to release it), just my opinion.

Although @sanahtlig made some resonable comment about fan translator was had big ego, I think there was none as offensive as Moogy in regard of that. I mean what's with him suddenly announced that he'll release Drakoi (Not that I'd looking forward to it, but still) after Ixrec finished translated Rewrite and already announce Drakoi as his 8th project (The reason Ixrec did that because Moogy was never announced progress of Drakoi translation). Once again, while I think community already realize that some translator was some kind of attention seeker, but if they must write it on forum, I think it's already too far (For example Moogy Drakoi translation). And one more thing, Moogy was infamous at 4chan.

Okay, try back to topic, actually I'd found that the topic in regard of Fuwa history was interesting, so looking forward to OP post about 2015.