The Disappearing Spider

InvertMouse

Hey everyone, please help me out :vinty:!

Last night, I was catching up on Myriad Colors Phantom World when I spotted a spider on the wall. Not a massive one, but big enough to make me grimace. I picked up a shoe and stepped on the spider, but when I let go, it was nowhere to be seen. Bottom of the shoe? No. Checked the floor, not there either. My room is fairly empty, so I was able to check all the nearby hiding places, but still no luck.

I checked every spot I could think of, and to begin with, I am confident I never saw the spider run when my shoe made contact with the wall. See, I live in Australia so spiders are not exactly uncommon, but in my 30 years of life, I have never had this happen. Spiders are not that fast, so if when they tried to flee, I was always able to catch them.

Well, I gave up and went to bed, fully expecting the spider to eat me alive while I was asleep. I just woke up and the bug is still nowhere in sight. At least I am still alive. It felt so mysterious that I actually looked up disappearing spider to see if it is some sort of hallucination or phenomenon. The spider was too big for it to be an illusion, though. I even wanted to take a photo of it to show that hey, this is what we see in Australia all the time.

Has anyone got a similar experience? If so, please be sure to share it. Of course, if the spider pops up later, I will just let you all know I am an idiot, and if the thing kills me in my sleep, well, I love you all. Farewell. #relax 

I'm afraid the only thing you can do now is to burn your house down and start somewhere else anew. Don't take any chances.

Only story I have is that a huge spider (huge for Sweden that is, so not really huge at all) once climbed over my face while I was trying to sleep. Scared the crap out of me. I managed to see it run under the bed but I couldn't find it afterwards. Haven't seen it since then. I'm not even afraid of spiders but that kept me up for a while. It's not like any spider around here can do anything more harmfull than being gross but still...

According to internet lore and meme research, Australian insects can all kill you so the only solution now is to burn down your house. Sorry. :(

As for personal experiences, I mostly only get small flying insects like mosquitoes and flies and the occasional moth and those aren't too hard to find nor are they particularly harmful except for the mosquito. There was one time where I found a daddy long legs in my room, but those aren't really scary and easily squashable.

I think the scariest thing I found crawling around the house was a really big earwig. It crawled REALLY fast and looked like something straight out of Satan's imagination. Not only that, but it entered the toaster I regularly use. Luckily I had already taken my toast out but after promptly picking up the entire toaster in one swoop, I ran outside and shook it as hard as I could until teh thing fell off. I shook the thing like I was performing a tribal ritual and the toaster was my link to the Gods. After it fell off, I rinsed the whole thing with dish washing soap twice and thanked heavens I was still alive.

2 hours ago, Monmon said:

Saw 3 spiders in my bathroom a week ago, and 1 of them is pretty big(as big as my thumb, kind off). I spray lots and lots of bug spray, close the door and gtfo from my apartment. 

You Big Damn Hero ...

@InvertMouse I assume you stomped on the wall and not the floor? You either

a) missed, it fell to the ground, it scurried away into a crack or out of the door. 

b) hallucinating from mixing medication with alcohol.

c) You stomped on it, but the spider chomped through your shoe, through your foot, and is crawling up your body towards your brain ala The Mummy

It happens to me all the time. I either whack it and it disappears, or I try and grab it with paper towel, triumphantly head to the bin, open it and nothing's there. It's called "the little buggers are mocking you."

I used to live in the first floor of a condo building and got insects somewhat frequently. In particular we would get fruit flies seasonally, and one year we had a constant plague of them - maybe a dozen or so in the condo at any point in time, for a period of a month. It was disgusting and horrifying. One day, we moved some stuff around in the pantry and discovered the source: we had obscured some potatoes deep in the recesses of the pantry, and they had long since rotted and become a fruit fly breeding ground. Uncovering that unholy relic was even more disgusting and horrifying (and my god they were swarming around it, maybe 50 of them), but cleaning it up resulted in the fruit fly infestation being fully resolved within a couple more days. I was seeing phantom fruit flies in the corner of my eye for months afterwards, and I became quite talented at squashing them one-handed (it's actually much easier to clasp them one-handed than it is to go for the two-handed clap, it turns out).

Now I live in an apartment on the 21st floor. I have literally seen exactly one insect in the nearly 2.5 years I have lived here: a single fruit fly stowed away on some fruit I bought one day. Needless to say, its life was short.

• 2 years later...
On 26/02/2016 at 3:18 AM, InvertMouse said:

Last night, I was catching up on Myriad Colors Phantom World when I spotted a spider on the wall. Not a massive one, but big enough to make me grimace. I picked up a shoe and stepped on the spider, but when I let go, it was nowhere to be seen. Bottom of the shoe? No. Checked the floor, not there either. My room is fairly empty, so I was able to check all the nearby hiding places, but still no luck.

I checked every spot I could think of, and to begin with, I am confident I never saw the spider run when my shoe made contact with the wall. See, I live in Australia so spiders are not exactly uncommon, but in my 30 years of life, I have never had this happen. Spiders are not that fast, so if when they tried to flee, I was always able to catch them.

Well, I gave up and went to bed, fully expecting the spider to eat me alive while I was asleep. I just woke up and the bug is still nowhere in sight. At least I am still alive. It felt so mysterious that I actually looked up disappearing spider to see if it is some sort of hallucination or phenomenon. The spider was too big for it to be an illusion, though. I even wanted to take a photo of it to show that hey, this is what we see in Australia all the time.

Has anyone got a similar experience? If so, please be sure to share it. Of course, if the spider pops up later, I will just let you all know I am an idiot, and if the thing kills me in my sleep, well, I love you all. Farewell. #relax 

Some thing similar to this, has happened to me before.

Except, it was about 2-3am and I woke up out of fear for some reason, and as I did, I instantly noticed a big, still, black/brown spider on the wall beside me but high up towards the roof. A tarantula type spider... just chilling. 🕷

Because it was my second night in Australia, I wasn’t used to this. So I sprung out of bed, room pitch black, half asleep, woke my sister up to look at the spider & this happened in a matter of 5 seconds. She woke up, looked over, I looked back at it & it was gone. It was too high up for the spider to completely disappear within a couple of seconds.

i felt weird at this point & a tad bit mind f*cked... and although I was half asleep, I knew what I saw, but shrugged it off and went to sleep.

The next morning, I remembered everything about it. And felt the exact same way you did, “It felt so mysterious that I actually looked up disappearing spider to see if it is some sort of hallucination or phenomenon”.

To this day I’m still curious of how it disappeared just like that.

On 1/31/2019 at 8:03 AM, Mainase said:

Some thing similar to this, has happened to me before.

Except, it was about 2-3am and I woke up out of fear for some reason, and as I did, I instantly noticed a big, still, black/brown spider on the wall beside me but high up towards the roof. A tarantula type spider... just chilling. 🕷

Because it was my second night in Australia, I wasn’t used to this. So I sprung out of bed, room pitch black, half asleep, woke my sister up to look at the spider & this happened in a matter of 5 seconds. She woke up, looked over, I looked back at it & it was gone. It was too high up for the spider to completely disappear within a couple of seconds.

i felt weird at this point & a tad bit mind f*cked... and although I was half asleep, I knew what I saw, but shrugged it off and went to sleep.

The next morning, I remembered everything about it. And felt the exact same way you did, “It felt so mysterious that I actually looked up disappearing spider to see if it is some sort of hallucination or phenomenon”.

To this day I’m still curious of how it disappeared just like that.

That's called a hypnagogic hallucination.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Had to make an account to reply to this. Yes this happened to me and my gf was with me at the time. We saw the spider above a large picture portrait of just a city. This spider was big it was a hobo spider. They tend to look for shelter in houses and in your garage most likely. But I grabbed a paper towel and quickly smacked it with my hand basically crushing it. and I held it there for a second and let go slowly and it was just .. gone. My gf was behind me when it happened so she had the whole view if it fell. She didn't see anything fall. It literally disappeared. The spider couldn't have gone behind the portrait frame because it was too small of a crack and that spider was bigger then my thumb. We looked around my room and couldn't find the spider. It was so bazaar.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2016 at 2:18 PM, InvertMouse said:

On 2/25/2016 at 2:18 PM, InvertMouse said:

I experienced something similar. So I was in the room and I heard some weird noise coming from diagonally behind me, so I turn and see a fairly big spider. Not the biggest I’ve seen but a very thick one. Ofc I get scared and call my sister to come kill it or something. I keep my eyes on it to make sure it stays there until my sister kills it. When my sister comes in, I look at her for a split second and when I look back, it’s just gone. There was a shelve next to where the spider was and I thought maybe it crawled on top or maybe just fell. But I checked the top of the shelve, nothing. And this spider was big enough to where if it fell you would hear it and I even look on the floor but it wasn’t there. I was 10,000% more scared