The Flowers demo is a hot mess

Decay

12 minutes ago, sanahtlig said:

MangaGamer doesn't even have working forums, and their marketing is possibly the worst of all three companies (which is probably why Innocent Grey ditched them for JAST / J-List).  All three companies have their issues, and which one you support is simply a matter of where your tolerances are.

Even with those issues, they are the best of the three. They don't abuse Kickstarter or hire bad translators and their problems aren't as large as the other two's problems.

26 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

"There's always Sono Hanabira" Derg would say, but I agree with you. Flowers is apparently a really good yuri VN that could've brought a lot of people into the genre and introduce more people to how great Innocent Grey is, but instead we get this...JAST is on my hitlist now because of this :vinty:

Seriously, they earned a spot on mine aswell now...i had no gripe with them before asides taking ages with some things but other than that i had nothing against them...I was really let down by this as much as i was looking forward to more of Innocent Grey's incredible work i was also really eager to see if when made by a favorite company of mine i could get finally into yuri:amane:

Talk about a let down

1 minute ago, DarkZedge said:

Seriously, they earned a spot on mine aswell now...i had no gripe with them before asides taking ages with some things but other than that i had nothing against them...I was really let down by this as much as i was looking forward to more of Innocent Grey's incredible work i was also really eager to see if when made by a favorite company of mine i could get finally into yuri:amane:

Talk about a let down

Yes. Quite the letdown indeed. Looks like I'm gonna have to read Flowers in Japanese once I'm able to. I was really looking forward to reading it in March as well until the demo happened. :amane:

6 hours ago, Dionysus42 said:

Mangagamer's failures are in areas incidental to their products, like marketing. JAST's flaws are more severe because they affect the basic quality of their releases. 

Depends where you fall on DRM.  Some customers will only buy hardcopies, and MangaGamer is inconsistent with those.  In addition, they make pre-order customers pay twice (once for the digital version, once for the hardcopy version).  This has always been a source of irritation to me.  JAST's digital versions have no DRM at all, and they make physical copies available at launch for every major release (with the digital version being sent out to all customers first, in some cases).  JAST is also the only remaining English publisher to sell Steam keys with their adult releases.  Yes, that matters to some.

All in all, I see JAST's policies as more consumer-friendly, even if the quality of their releases has been slipping as of late.

6 minutes ago, Down said:

JAST hired people to try to fix this mess (it even reached japanese twitter so I guess they managed to care for once), and it seems like one of the two TLCs will be @meru:

Let's hope they manage to do something in a month.

Awesome to hear that they hired people who know what they're doing. I don't know what they will be able to do in a month, but I hope they manage to put out something worth reading.

Just now, VirginSmasher said:

I don't know what they will be able to do in a month, but I hope they manage to put out something worth reading.

It's supposed to be out in March, right? That's not enough time. It doesn't matter how big a team they can put on it, unless they push back the release date what they'll put out will have problems.

I actually feel a bit sorry for Meru ...

1 minute ago, sanahtlig said:

Are the problems with Flowers really something that a blind TLC pass can fix, though?  It's better than nothing I guess?  Maybe?

Theoretically there's nothing wrong with doing a TLC pass to fix errors, provided the translators they hire are proficient in Japanese. In practice it causes problems merely because translators translate in different ways, but if they're just focusing on accuracy it should be feasible they can fix most errors. Provided they have enough time, and provided they understand the original TL's style, and provided *insert a whole bunch of other stuff.*

It seems like they're flailing about because they didn't expect such a response to the demo. I don't think we can expect much beyond "acceptable" at best unless there is another delay, and from what people are saying it's likely that this deadline is being forced by Innocent Grey directly. 

And now they've announced a delay: http://follow.jastusa.com/post/140437762521/flowersdelay

4 minutes ago, Decay said:

Thank GOD... 

Although it´s slightly irritating to have to wait even longer, if they are able to salvage this and actually release a working translation, that alone will make me happy agian :miyako: 

We need more good, quality yuri VNs translated, and from what I gather, this is one of them. 

Really hope they get their shit together and get this thing fixed for the new release. 

Called it! Kind of... okay, not really since I added "but probably not". But I almost did!:pyaa:

I usually complain about Jast taking their sweet time but they really didn't have much of a choice here. Hopefully they will keep better track of the actual status of their products in the future.

6 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

You know, this is the only time I have ever seen a game delay announcement result in universal approval, and I can't say I see it happening ever again. I shall savor this moment.

I'm happy about the delay too :D

Maybe this whole mess was done on purpose to get away with unstopable delay? :P

7 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

I highly doubt that JAST would be willing to follow through with that. :makina:

Who knows? We're talking about Jast, the company that intentionally licensed the most extreme fetish eroge they could find on the market, just to censor all the hardcore content out of it... :wafuu:

New demo out but Meru's changes haven't been included. So quality will still not be indicative of final product, not that much can be read into it and ... I don't actually know why they've released it at this stage, tbh ... :S

I guess it will be comforting to some to show that the text is being continuously improved upon?