The Flowers demo is a hot mess

Decay

Want to know what's funny? Like two lines before it they refer to it as Wuthering Heights. Yeah, it's kind of confusing if you don't put 2 and 2 together!

I told you. This demo is a travesty.

Among all of the other issues, it's completely inconsistent with honorifics. Sometimes they keep them, sometimes they don't. I can't find any rhyme or reason.

2 hours ago, Rooke said:

Normally JAST is better than this, but then again JAST's been under pressure to release stuff quicker, so ...

Is there even such a thing as "normally" with JAST? It all depends on who does the work, and quality tends to fluctuate wildly between different VNs. That's something JAST had been known for for ages.

This has been marked down as a mis-TL. I honestly can't read Japanese so I'm going to talk about why it's inadequate in English:

CcCrKjnUAAANQSN.jpg

So why is this an inadequate sentence in English? Because when I read that sentence, I could easily imagine something like this:

marshawn-lynch-1.jpg

This is probably not what is going on, though ...

EDIT: 

You get the picture. And it all has to do with that generic term ‘put’ which doesn’t specify anything. Also ‘face’. Did she cover her mouth, cup her cheek, or stiffarm her? No clue. No image was provided. There’s a hundred different ways to ‘put a hand on someone’s face’.

If you’re one of those people who abuses the word ‘put’, banish it from your vocabulary. Along with the word ‘get.’

5 minutes ago, Rooke said:

This has been marked down as a mis-TL. I honestly can't read Japanese so I'm going to talk about why it's inadequate in English:

ぎゅっと握られる手に顔を上げる。 - "Feeling my hand getting squeezed, I raise my head." (very literally). Could also be her raising her head to look at her hand which is presently getting squeezed, depending on context.

Either way, there are no hands touching faces here.

2 minutes ago, KuroganeHomura said:

ぎゅっと握られる手に顔を上げる。 - "Feeling my hand getting squeezed, I raise my head." (very literally). Could also be her raising her head to look at her hand which is presently getting squeezed, depending on context.

Either way, there are no hands touching faces here.

The people who worked on this script did a thoroughly good job, didn't they *rolls eyes.* 

Anyway, a lot of people are going to talk about why certain sentences are Mis-TLs, but I wanted to talk a bit about why they don't even work as pure English. Mainly because nobody does beyond 'it sounds awkward' or 'passive voice'. I expanded my post above to explain a bit further. It's always the same stuff, bad writing is always bad in the same ways. 

Speaking more generally though, am I the only one who gets the feeling that Peter just doesn't care anymore? It seems like he stopped caring after the Nitro+ project went mostly pear-shaped.

It's bizarre how little information a now-casual person like me gets from their twitter accounts, as well. The @JastUSA twitter is active and constantly tweets pics with "funny" captions, but it sucks at relaying actual information big time. I missed the release date of Shiny Days altogether, and that much-maligned "My GF is the President" fandisc was released to so little fanfare... if it was any less prominent, I'd consider it deliberately obscured. With MG and Sekai, you know what happens and when, cause they hype their releases on twitter almost mercilessly. With JAST... unless it's a SUPER BIG DEAL like Steins;Gate, nobody really seems to care.

And another thing. While being hush-hush about everything like JAST usually is is not exactly a bad or a good thing as long as the product is fine, it also doesn't inspire much confidence. I like knowing who works on a VN (well, tbh I just find Doddler's attempts to fix things after every major release hugely entertaining, but still) so I can stare sternly at their twitter userpic when things aren't to my satisfaction. Doesn't really work with Peter Payne's account, that.

I'd love to say I'm surprised at Flowers' lack of... well, polish is the wrong word... all-around quality, but I'm not.

1 hour ago, Down said:

JAST's translation, afaik, used to all be supervised by Makoto. That's no longer the case, and since there's probably no one else to give a shit about what's going on in this company anything can go through.

Makoto do not work with Jast anymore? Or what do you mean.

10 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

Just get it on Steam? You're not paying anything for it, I don't see why anyone would go out of their way to upload it somewhere else.

You're so lazy that you cannot zip a folder and push it on dropbox or google? I had better opinion about you...

17 minutes ago, Scorp said:

You're so lazy that you cannot zip a folder and push it on dropbox or google? I had better opinion about you...

Yeah sorry that I'm too lazy to upload a trial that takes me 1-2 hours to upload when downloading it took only 5 minutes. My bad that I don't have better internet.

@Scorp My suggestion "Sign in at Steam by yourself and download it".

Okay, I think to be very very honest you're slightly annoy me with your demand @Scorp, although I just realized that register at Steam was very easy. And the demo was free anyway, so just make an account at Steam and download it, okay.

Now for my comment it's quite surprising that JAST finally announced the release date of Flower. Hopefully they will not delay this one, although I'd still wary about that though.

As for the demo, I think I'd read some displeasure regarding translation quality. Personally, I didn't had any problem so far with the translation, although guess I'd already read something like Soukoku no Arterial with MT Patch experience helped me. But if some of the user here express disappointment here, I think JAST better fix it. I think I'll provide some info at Flower later (Mainly seiyuu though), in my thread later since apparently we'd talked about how messed up the demo here. Also curiously since some of you mentioned that JAST didn't port the engine, maybe back at Shiny Days they didn't port it too, causing delay at Flower and Seinarukana release because of the bug at Shiny Days (And apparently it's still not solved yet). 

I think that's all for now. See you at my thread for Flower later.

PS - If @Scorp called someone lazy to the people who tried to give advice of how to get the demo, I think I'd better suggest all of you here to ignore @Scorp and think of him as (Sorry) troll or Steam hater. Because I'd just find out that how easy was to register at Steam, while @Scorp surely should know how to register at Steam, since he was more experienced in forum (I think). Sorry once again.

7 minutes ago, littleshogun said:

@Scorp My suggestion "Sign in at Steam by yourself and download it".

Steam do not send me email on any accounts I tried (Google, Hotmail) year ago. So yes, that's why I ask.

Anyway, if you cannot upload, that's fine, I just do not understand  your offensive behavior. If you can upload and this will take a couple of mins - why not do it? People here do not want to help others or what? And calling me troll and asking others to ignore me... I do not like this.

@Scorp Because you asking to upload that 3 times without explaining your circumstances first, so I guess that you want to troll us. Well, I'm sorry to misunderstand you here.

Anyway, I think you better try to make new account, and as what I did, I only go to Flowers -Le volume sur Printemps- Demo Steam page, and just click Install Demo. Either way, just tried it and hopefully you got it installed on your computer. Sorry once again.